Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Changing font and color in log file of Script Post 302089715 by satgo on Wednesday 20th of September 2006 12:42:06 PM
Old 09-20-2006
Hi Dhruva,

Thanks for the help. I tried these, it worked when I ran the commands on terminal.

But when I stored the echo in log file and vi log file, it shows something different.

e.g
$echo "\033[1m this a bold message\033[0m" > log
$ cat log
this a bold message
$ more log
this a bold message
$vi log
"log" 1 line, 29 characters
^[[1m this a bold message^[[0m
~
Similarly I downloaded the log file and opened in Microsoft word, it shows the result same as vi.

Do you know any commands or echo options which will store the character in file with special formatting which we specify with echo options.

Thanks,
Satish

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Changing font in script

I'm trying to figure out how to change the font or color of output in the middle of a shell script. I can't find anything that tells me how to do that. Any ideas? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MDyer18
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Font Color Change Using .profile

Does anyone know how can I change font color, background color etc for a particular user using .profile? Any help is appreciated. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fifo_vs_lifo23
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change the font or color of text

Hi Gurus, I have a small requirement where i want to change the color & font of some text in a file. i have a file error.txt which will be created in the script using egrep. After that iam adding these lines at head & tail to that file using the following code awk 'BEGIN{print"Please... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pssandeep
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Specifying font type and color in a shell script

Hi, I am new to shell script. Can you please tell me, whether can we specify font type and color in a shell script? If so, how to do this? Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vani_Govind
4 Replies

5. Programming

changing text color in c

I'm writing my own Unix ls command in c and I was wondering if anyone knows how to or can point me to a tutorial that shows me how to change the text color of the filename depending on if it's a directory, regular file, linked file, etc..., like the real ls command does? Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: snag49ers
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change color or font when executing a script

I'm writing a simple menu script and I would like to output the whole script using background color: black AND foreground color:white. Meaning if the ssh terminal of a user is set to green for example, it will change to my desired color when menu script is executed. Once the script is exited, it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

font color in script

i am using ubuntu 11.04 and i just finished writing a shell script but i was wanting to know if their is a way to change the font color of just one sentence? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hotshot247
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to set font color for STDIN,STDOUT and STDERR?

I want to differentiate the STDOUT and STDERR messages in my terminal . If a script or command is printing a message in terminal I want to differentiate by colors, Is it possible ? Example: $date Wed Jul 27 12:36:50 IST 2011 $datee bash: datee: command not found $alias ls alias... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ungalnanban
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with changing font size in konsole

I created a very very basic script that opens multiple konsole terminals when I run the script which essentially sshs into a jump box into the end device and tails some logs etc etc. A few of the konsoles run scripts where the default font size is too big and the lines are cut off. Which I would... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NiCe
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send mail with font color change

Hi All, I have a file that contains following entries. I want to highlight the line that has word as "FAILURE" while sending the email. File ------------------------------------------------------------ Job Name: ABC Start Time: 07/20/2019 07:32:39 End Time: 07/20/2019... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdosanjh
4 Replies
GIT-FMT-MERGE-MSG(1)                                                Git Manual                                                GIT-FMT-MERGE-MSG(1)

NAME
git-fmt-merge-msg - Produce a merge commit message SYNOPSIS
git fmt-merge-msg [-m <message>] [--log[=<n>] | --no-log] git fmt-merge-msg [-m <message>] [--log[=<n>] | --no-log] -F <file> DESCRIPTION
Takes the list of merged objects on stdin and produces a suitable commit message to be used for the merge commit, usually to be passed as the <merge-message> argument of git merge. This command is intended mostly for internal use by scripts automatically invoking git merge. OPTIONS
--log[=<n>] In addition to branch names, populate the log message with one-line descriptions from the actual commits that are being merged. At most <n> commits from each merge parent will be used (20 if <n> is omitted). This overrides the merge.log configuration variable. --no-log Do not list one-line descriptions from the actual commits being merged. --[no-]summary Synonyms to --log and --no-log; these are deprecated and will be removed in the future. -m <message>, --message <message> Use <message> instead of the branch names for the first line of the log message. For use with --log. -F <file>, --file <file> Take the list of merged objects from <file> instead of stdin. CONFIGURATION
merge.branchdesc In addition to branch names, populate the log message with the branch description text associated with them. Defaults to false. merge.log In addition to branch names, populate the log message with at most the specified number of one-line descriptions from the actual commits that are being merged. Defaults to false, and true is a synonym for 20. merge.summary Synonym to merge.log; this is deprecated and will be removed in the future. EXAMPLE
$ git fetch origin master $ git fmt-merge-msg --log <$GIT_DIR/FETCH_HEAD Print a log message describing a merge of the "master" branch from the "origin" remote. SEE ALSO
git-merge(1) GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 2.17.1 10/05/2018 GIT-FMT-MERGE-MSG(1)