Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers (+ sign) Unexpected arithmetic expr script interpretation Post 302089674 by Birdi6022 on Wednesday 20th of September 2006 10:30:53 AM
Old 09-20-2006
(+ sign) Unexpected arithmetic expr script interpretation

In response to Glenn Arndt's response, am I correct in stating that, if I declare a value of num1 and num2 outside of the script, I will find that these values are not automatically accessible from within the script?

I'm guessing that the answer to the last question is yes.
In regards to the script lines you advocate :
#!/bin/bash
num1=$1
num2=$2
num3=`expr $num1 + $num2`
echo $num3

I can see how that works - but am still interested in if the script can access variables written outside of it.

When typing the below into the script, could anyone tell me the significance of the 3rd line? I suppose that this is just a different way of evoking a shell script :

$ num1=1
$ num2=2
$ . lazyadd2

Finally, in regards to gkrishnag, I did try the below :
num1=1
num2=2
num3=`expr {$num1} + {$num2}`
echo $num3

But here's what I get :
$ num3=`expr {$num1} + {num2}`
expr: non-numeric argument
$ echo $num3

That is, what you suggested is not recognised as valid.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sign on/Sign off logging script

I'd like to make a script that I can execute every time I sign on to my linux box that keeps track of the time and allows to me to add a remark to a file. So basically once I log in, I run the script, and it outputs the date and time to a text file (log.txt). But that isn't my problem. I need... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Glider
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem in script involving month arithmetic

advance happy new year to all, i am having a script.The purpose of the scripts is as follows.If the current month is march,june,september or december ,inc_flg should be set to '1' otherwise inc_flg should be set to '2' month= date +"%m" if || || || ; then inc_flg = 1 else ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajarp
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with expr command in script

Hi, I am trying to code a unix function to calculate date difference between two date variables. I am stuck at a point where I am trying to convert hours into minutes. Below is the code I am doing. function get_elapsed_time { export PROPS_FILE=temp.properties export... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nutan
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arithmetic Problem with shell script programming.

Hello everybody, I decided to take a Unix Introduction class and have never had experience with programming. Everything was fine until recently when the Prof. started shell scripting and he wants us to make a small script to add unlimited numbers from arguments and from standard input. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Florinel76
1 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Arithmetic Problem with shell script programming.

Hello everybody, I decided to take a Unix Introduction class and have never had experience with programming. Everything was fine until recently when the Prof. started shell scripting and he wants us to make a small script to add unlimited numbers from arguments and from standard input. I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Florinel76
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Interpretation of $variables inside programs run from a script

Hi, I am running a shell script that executes a program. Inside this program, variables are also referenced using a dollar symbol, eg. $a, $thething, and the shell script is misinterpreting them as variables relevant to the shell script rather than relevant to the program run from inside the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheBigH
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

SSH Script is sticking, & sign not doing what I would expect

I am having an issue where I am do an SSH to about 30 servers one at a time however my script is getting hung up sometimes on the SSH. I thought the & at the end as seen below would fire it and move on but that does not seem to be working. #!/bin/s for remsys in trumpetsnail angel delphin... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LRoberts
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to replace last instance of . between two consecutive = sign by ,

Suppose you have a line like this: cn=user.blr.ou=blr.india.o=company The line should be converted like this: cn=user.blr,ou=blr.india,o=comapny Was wondering how to do that using shell script. Please use tags where appropriate, thank you (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabhkoar
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to do decimal arithmetic in shell script

hi, I have a file with decimal/non-decimal values $ cat b22 373 164 92 62 20 131 94 12 129 111 95 154 37 15 447 25 7.4 135 77 122 32 92 70 57 37 42 72 17 13 97 40 41 53 22 80 71 29 87 23 31 273 6.2 12K 43 44 45 22 11 7.7 13 18 173 36 20 18 13 56 67 104 53 5.4 241 19 13 3.8 38 14 31 329 16 155... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam05121988
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Arithmetic calculations in Shell script

Hi, I need a help with arithmetic calculations in my script. I have two variables: a=17; b=1712 I want to perform ($a/$b)*100 with two decimals in the result. I tried with following: res=$((100*a/b)) res=`echo "scale=2; $a / $b" | bc` But I am not getting the decimal values.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
4 Replies
XML::LibXML::Error(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				     XML::LibXML::Error(3)

NAME
XML::LibXML::Error - Structured Errors SYNOPSIS
eval { ... }; if (ref($@)) { # handle a structured error (XML::LibXML::Error object) } elsif ($@) { # error, but not an XML::LibXML::Error object } else { # no error } $XML::LibXML::Error::WARNINGS=1; $message = $@->as_string(); print $@->dump(); $error_domain = $@->domain(); $error_code = $@->code(); $error_message = $@->message(); $error_level = $@->level(); $filename = $@->file(); $line = $@->line(); $nodename = $@->nodename(); $error_str1 = $@->str1(); $error_str2 = $@->str2(); $error_str3 = $@->str3(); $error_num1 = $@->num1(); $error_num2 = $@->num2(); $string = $@->context(); $offset = $@->column(); $previous_error = $@->_prev(); DESCRIPTION
The XML::LibXML::Error class is a tiny frontend to libxml2's structured error support. If XML::LibXML is compiled with structured error support, all errors reported by libxml2 are transformed to XML::LibXML::Error objects. These objects automatically serialize to the corresponding error messages when printed or used in a string operation, but as objects, can also be used to get a detailed and structured information about the error that occurred. Unlike most other XML::LibXML objects, XML::LibXML::Error doesn't wrap an underlying libxml2 structure directly, but rather transforms it to a blessed Perl hash reference containing the individual fields of the structured error information as hash key-value pairs. Individual items (fields) of a structured error can either be obtained directly as $@->{field}, or using autoloaded methods such as $@->field() (where field is the field name). XML::LibXML::Error objects have the following fields: domain, code, level, file, line, nodename, message, str1, str2, str3, num1, num2, and _prev (some of them may be undefined). $XML::LibXML::Error::WARNINGS $XML::LibXML::Error::WARNINGS=1; Traditionally, XML::LibXML was suppressing parser warnings by setting libxml2's global variable xmlGetWarningsDefaultValue to 0. Since 1.70 we do not change libxml2's global variables anymore; for backward compatibility, XML::LibXML suppresses warnings. This variable can be set to 1 to enable reporting of these warnings via Perl "warn" and to 2 to report hem via "die". as_string $message = $@->as_string(); This function serializes an XML::LibXML::Error object to a string containing the full error message close to the message produced by libxml2 default error handlers and tools like xmllint. This method is also used to overload "" operator on XML::LibXML::Error, so it is automatically called whenever XML::LibXML::Error object is treated as a string (e.g. in print $@). dump print $@->dump(); This function serializes an XML::LibXML::Error to a string displaying all fields of the error structure individually on separate lines of the form 'name' => 'value'. domain $error_domain = $@->domain(); Returns string containing information about what part of the library raised the error. Can be one of: "parser", "tree", "namespace", "validity", "HTML parser", "memory", "output", "I/O", "ftp", "http", "XInclude", "XPath", "xpointer", "regexp", "Schemas datatype", "Schemas parser", "Schemas validity", "Relax-NG parser", "Relax-NG validity", "Catalog", "C14N", "XSLT", "validity". code $error_code = $@->code(); Returns the actual libxml2 error code. The XML::LibXML::ErrNo module defines constants for individual error codes. Currently libxml2 uses over 480 different error codes. message $error_message = $@->message(); Returns a human-readable informative error message. level $error_level = $@->level(); Returns an integer value describing how consequent is the error. XML::LibXML::Error defines the following constants: o XML_ERR_NONE = 0 o XML_ERR_WARNING = 1 : A simple warning. o XML_ERR_ERROR = 2 : A recoverable error. o XML_ERR_FATAL = 3 : A fatal error. file $filename = $@->file(); Returns the filename of the file being processed while the error occurred. line $line = $@->line(); The line number, if available. nodename $nodename = $@->nodename(); Name of the node where error occurred, if available. When this field is non-empty, libxml2 actually returned a physical pointer to the specified node. Due to memory management issues, it is very difficult to implement a way to expose the pointer to the Perl level as a XML::LibXML::Node. For this reason, XML::LibXML::Error currently only exposes the name the node. str1 $error_str1 = $@->str1(); Error specific. Extra string information. str2 $error_str2 = $@->str2(); Error specific. Extra string information. str3 $error_str3 = $@->str3(); Error specific. Extra string information. num1 $error_num1 = $@->num1(); Error specific. Extra numeric information. num2 $error_num2 = $@->num2(); In recent libxml2 versions, this value contains a column number of the error or 0 if N/A. context $string = $@->context(); For parsing errors, this field contains about 80 characters of the XML near the place where the error occurred. The field "$@->column()" contains the corresponding offset. Where N/A, the field is undefined. column $offset = $@->column(); See "$@->column()" above. _prev $previous_error = $@->_prev(); This field can possibly hold a reference to another XML::LibXML::Error object representing an error which occurred just before this error. AUTHORS
Matt Sergeant, Christian Glahn, Petr Pajas VERSION
2.0110 COPYRIGHT
2001-2007, AxKit.com Ltd. 2002-2006, Christian Glahn. 2006-2009, Petr Pajas. LICENSE
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2014-02-01 XML::LibXML::Error(3)