Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Have users changed their password Post 302089620 by annemar on Wednesday 20th of September 2006 04:18:02 AM
Old 09-20-2006
That's exactly what I need :
1) where is the information --> /etc/security/passwd
2) how can I use it --> this perl script
Thank you very much all of you !
Anne

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting password restrictions for all users

I would like to change the password requirements for all our AIX 5.2 logins but am having trouble finding a place where I can set the rules for everyone at the same time. I know I can go user by user in smit passwords but is there a way to create rules for everyone at the same time? Thanks,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: drathbone
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help- Change the password of users to common one

Hi all I have some 106 users of which i need to change the password of them to a common one. I dont know their paswword. But i need to reset them to a common one. How can i do this with a shell script? It would be a great help if some one can help to sort out this.:b::b: I know it can be... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tuxidow
0 Replies

3. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Too many users with root password

Hi there, I'm working with a Linux server and now I can get a daily Logwatch mail ... my question is:since there are too many users with root password (...in my opinion... :mad:) how could I prevent to delete information about "su" log? Thanks in advance, GB (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Giordano Bruno
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Users who have never changed their password from /etc/shadow.

Hello, I have to do a script which returns users who have never changed their password from /etc/shadow. Here is what have I done and I'm not sure if it's ok. I tried to return just users who doesn;t have password set or are locked. Can be there other kind of user who never changed the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: catalint
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Password last changed

Hi, I am doing an audit and thought I knew what I was doing, but reading through the posts I came into doubt. On Sun Solaris, I want to know when users last changed their passwords. I have the etc/shadow files and there is a nice field showing this. Except that it is disturbing me somewhat that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Norgaard
5 Replies

6. Red Hat

Password not changed!

Hi I am using Fedora 14. I forgot root password of Fedora 14 so I used online help from Fedora website which says by doing rheb silent 1 and then using proper kernel and then using psswd for changing the password I changed it. But after normal booting GUI I am not able to log-on. Can anybody plz... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixhead
5 Replies

7. Solaris

Change password for users

I am on SunOS SolarisServer 5.11 11.1 i86pc i386 i86pc , I am trying to change password for a user,but I get the following message.I cannot find any google help on the matter.can anyone help? root@SolarisServer:~# passwd passwd: Changing password for stain Please try again Please try... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbtshare
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to match certain users from password file?

I need to match all users starting from ab and cd. All the users are having five letters in total. ie: ab123 I tried below, but many other users with more than five letters are also appearing. I need to catch only users starting with ab & cd that has only five letters. possible? awk -F: '$1 ~... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wimaxpole
3 Replies

9. AIX

Root password changed but old one still works

Hello i am running AIX 6.1. i recently changed the root password using passwd and pwdadm. while the new password works fine, i am still able to login using the old password. is there anyway this can disabled\fixed thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnlsingh
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check when the password has been changed lastly

Hi, I wanted to check when the password of a current user(logged in) has been changed recently. I tried with the commands like passwd -s name logins -x -l username everthingbut it shows not a super user Which commands will help me.. Kindly help.. Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pranavi
3 Replies
CHECKSECURITY(8)					      System Manager's Manual						  CHECKSECURITY(8)

NAME
checksecurity - Run a collection of simple system checks SYNOPSIS
checksecurity DESCRIPTION
The checksecurity command runs a small collection of simple system checks which are designed to catch a few common security issues. check- security is run by cron in a daily basis. CONFIGURATION
The checksecurity.conf file defines several configuration variables: MAILTO, CHECK_DISKFREE, CHECK_PASSWD and CHECK_SETUID LOGDIR. Each is described below. The checksecurity program works with a collection of plugins which are located in /usr/share/checksecurity and are configured individually by their own configuration file. CHECK_PASSWD If this is set to TRUE then the check-passwd script will be invoked. This script is designed to report upon system accounts which have no passwords. CHECK_DISKFREE If this is set to TRUE then the check-diskfree script will be invoked and will allow an alert to be sent if there is any mounted partition is running short on disk space. CHECK_SETUID If this is set to TRUE then the check-setuid script will be invoked, this will compare the setuid binaries upon the system to those that existed previously and show the differences. FILES
/etc/checksecurity.conf checksecurity configuration file SEE-ALSO See also check-diskfree(8), check-setuid(8), and check-passwd(8) Debian Linux 2 February 1997 CHECKSECURITY(8)