Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sed not working
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users sed not working Post 302089230 by vino on Monday 18th of September 2006 07:29:37 AM
Old 09-18-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by shereenmotor
Vino,

It was an interesting thing to know about, can you pls explain the logic behind.

Regards,
Tayyab
See the section QUOTING under man sh. Its too big to quote here. But this is what you are looking for..
Code:
       Enclosing  characters  in  double quotes preserves the literal value of
       all characters within the quotes, with the exception of $,  `,  and  \.
       The  characters  $  and  `  retain  their special meaning within double
       quotes.  The backslash retains its special meaning only  when  followed
       by one of the following characters: $, `, ", \, or <newline>.  A double
       quote may be quoted within double quotes by preceding it with  a  back-
       slash.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sed command not working

Hi, I have a test file as follows: 1G102119 ^ AA1179291 ^ 06oct2006 09:50:35^ 73.4^ 2^ 13^ 0^ 1493 1G102119 ^ AA1179291 ^ 06oct2006 09:49:45^ 73.4^ 2^ 13^ 0^ 1493 1G102119 ^ AA1179291 ^ 06oct2006 09:48:58^ 73.4^ 2^ 17^ 0^ 2 1G102119 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: shashi_kiran_v
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed not working

I am working on sed ... to replace a string... but not able to save. i need to repalce a string in httpd.conf in numerous directories. I am doing this find /opt/apache/*/conf/ -name httpd.conf -exec sed 's/LogLevel debug/LogLevel error/g' {} \; even tried with find... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: logic0
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed not working for me.

Hi All, I need to modify ifcfg-eth0 file. The file currently contains the following: ONBOOT=no The desired output of the file is: ONBOOT=no DEVICE=eth0 BOOTPROTO=static IPADDR=234.235.34.56 NETMASK=255.255.255.0 GATEWAY=234.235.34.1 I know sed can help me in this, and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed not working

Hi All, Need some assistance n my script. My file is LBXBC040904071724 and output should be LBX0904071704 tempFile=`echo $file | cut -c 4-7` tempFile1=`echo $file | sed -e s/$tempFile//` min=`expr substr $tempFile1 12 2` cycleno=`expr substr $tempFile 3 2` newFile=`echo $tempFile1 |... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jda
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed -i not working in HP unix

hi i want to append the number in each file,but when i ran this command:- sed -i "1i 50" filename its giving error sed: illegal option -- i in HP unix but its working in linux. any advice !!!!!!!!! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhigrkist
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed not working

hello, I am not able to redirect the output to the same file, where I am searching and replacing a pattern. D:\>cat abc.txt abc D:\>sed "s\abc\xyz\g" abc.txt > abc.txt D:\>cat abc.txt D:\> If I dont redirect the output to abc.txt, the command is working fine, even if I append the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: chetanpunekar
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed not working the way i want it

I dont get something about sed If i have a text file inside contain a:a:a:a:a sed "s/"$title:$author:$price:$qtyAvailable:$qtySold"/"$Ntitle:$author:$price:$qtyAvailable:$qtySold"/" This work!! i can change a to be something else but If i have a text file inside contain Tom Tom:La... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GQiang
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

I sed its not working!

sed -i '' 's:'<string>/Users/testuser/Desktop/test.sh</string>':'something':g' log.txt The log file has this in <string>/Users/testuser/Desktop/test.sh</string> and I want to change it to something This code isn't working any ideas? Its doing my head in! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: digitalviking
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

sed command not working

Hello There - Iam trying to get this expdp running for oracle backup. And this is the code below: ### Run the export. ### Comment out any LOGFILE parameters in the .par file. if grep -i "Logfile" /<Path>$1_$2_$3.par; then ## Comment out any LOGFILE... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bkilaru
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Working with if and sed in UNIX

I have a text file containing multiple lines like password="&test."; password="xyz"; password='write some'; password="&testwrite."; today='o1jan2017'd; ----------------- ------------------ I don't want to replace the string value which are starting with & for Password variable... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: harshabag
3 Replies
Text::ParseWords(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				     Text::ParseWords(3pm)

NAME
Text::ParseWords - parse text into an array of tokens or array of arrays SYNOPSIS
use Text::ParseWords; @lists = nested_quotewords($delim, $keep, @lines); @words = quotewords($delim, $keep, @lines); @words = shellwords(@lines); @words = parse_line($delim, $keep, $line); @words = old_shellwords(@lines); # DEPRECATED! DESCRIPTION
The &nested_quotewords() and &quotewords() functions accept a delimiter (which can be a regular expression) and a list of lines and then breaks those lines up into a list of words ignoring delimiters that appear inside quotes. &quotewords() returns all of the tokens in a single long list, while &nested_quotewords() returns a list of token lists corresponding to the elements of @lines. &parse_line() does tokenizing on a single string. The &*quotewords() functions simply call &parse_line(), so if you're only splitting one line you can call &parse_line() directly and save a function call. The $keep argument is a boolean flag. If true, then the tokens are split on the specified delimiter, but all other characters (quotes, backslashes, etc.) are kept in the tokens. If $keep is false then the &*quotewords() functions remove all quotes and backslashes that are not themselves backslash-escaped or inside of single quotes (i.e., &quotewords() tries to interpret these characters just like the Bourne shell). NB: these semantics are significantly different from the original version of this module shipped with Perl 5.000 through 5.004. As an additional feature, $keep may be the keyword "delimiters" which causes the functions to preserve the delimiters in each string as tokens in the token lists, in addition to preserving quote and backslash characters. &shellwords() is written as a special case of &quotewords(), and it does token parsing with whitespace as a delimiter-- similar to most Unix shells. EXAMPLES
The sample program: use Text::ParseWords; @words = quotewords('s+', 0, q{this is "a test" of quotewords "for you}); $i = 0; foreach (@words) { print "$i: <$_> "; $i++; } produces: 0: <this> 1: <is> 2: <a test> 3: <of quotewords> 4: <"for> 5: <you> demonstrating: 0 a simple word 1 multiple spaces are skipped because of our $delim 2 use of quotes to include a space in a word 3 use of a backslash to include a space in a word 4 use of a backslash to remove the special meaning of a double-quote 5 another simple word (note the lack of effect of the backslashed double-quote) Replacing "quotewords('s+', 0, q{this is...})" with "shellwords(q{this is...})" is a simpler way to accomplish the same thing. AUTHORS
Maintainer: Alexandr Ciornii <alexchornyATgmail.com>. Previous maintainer: Hal Pomeranz <pomeranz@netcom.com>, 1994-1997 (Original author unknown). Much of the code for &parse_line() (including the primary regexp) from Joerk Behrends <jbehrends@multimediaproduzenten.de>. Examples section another documentation provided by John Heidemann <johnh@ISI.EDU> Bug reports, patches, and nagging provided by lots of folks-- thanks everybody! Special thanks to Michael Schwern <schwern@envirolink.org> for assuring me that a &nested_quotewords() would be useful, and to Jeff Friedl <jfriedl@yahoo-inc.com> for telling me not to worry about error-checking (sort of-- you had to be there). perl v5.12.1 2010-04-26 Text::ParseWords(3pm)