Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to find the time taken for a script to run? Post 302089212 by mercy on Monday 18th of September 2006 05:44:52 AM
Old 09-18-2006
time_start=`date +%s`

script body

time_end=`date +%s`
time_exec=`expr $(( $time_end - $time_start ))`

echo "Execution time is $time_exec seconds"
This User Gave Thanks to mercy For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Preventing script to run at the same time.

I have a script, myscript.pl I want to set the script to exit if it is already running. At the moment I am using soft stop. eg: if -e dummy file then exit else create a dummy file Is there any other better way to perform this? Maybe ps -ef | egrep 'myscript.pl' (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cronboss
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

run script in autosys at a specified time.

I have created a shell script. I want to run the script in Autosys. Please note my shell script runs as "$ ksh run.ksh" How do I make autosys run this script at 5:00PM every day? insert_job: abc job_type: c box_name: run.box command: ksh run.ksh machine: mach1 #owner: mach1@mymach... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gram77
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run script at same time

Hi My five script run throgh crontab at same time at 6 clock. Due to problem in the data load .Now I want to check time of load finish run these jobs. I create a script which check the load finish time but I have no idea how I run these JObs. This is very urget to me. Please reply me as soon... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jamil Qadir
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

run script for given time

Hi! I need to run my script for a specific number of time, as specified by the user: For instance, if the user specified 10, my script should run for until 10 seconds expire. How do I do this? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: looza
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

last run time of any script

how to find when last time a scrit has ran? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: RahulJoshi
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to find the run time based on log entries?

Shell script to find the run time based on log entries? Below is the log files content updated when the script test.sh runs. I would like to calculte the difference between first update time stamp and last update time stamp to find the run time of the script. The below log file shows the first... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mailtopranesh
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Time taken to run a SQL script

Hello I am asked to run around 5-6 SQL queries in a shell script and take a note of the time taken to execute each query to a file. How do I get the time taken to run the individual SQL queries (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vat1kor
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run a task in a script at a particular time

I have an ETL process that triggers a shell script. This script picks the files created by the ETL process and does an SFTP. These are huge files. Due to infrastructure limitations, we need to trigger the actual SFTP part only during the 2nd, 16th, 31st and 46th minute of an hour. Please let me... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vskr72
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture run time of python script executed inside shell script

I have bash shell script which is internally calling python script.I would like to know how long python is taking to execute.I am not allowed to do changes in python script.Please note i need to know execution time of python script which is getting executed inside shell .I need to store execution... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Adfire
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shell Script to run in given time

Hi All, Would like to write a Script which will run between 11am to 3 pm and send the results to output.txt. Please suggest. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasuvv
2 Replies
sleep(1)						      General Commands Manual							  sleep(1)

NAME
sleep - Suspends execution for at least the specified time SYNOPSIS
sleep seconds STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: sleep: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
None OPERANDS
Non-negative integer specifying the number of seconds for which execution is to be suspended. DESCRIPTION
The sleep command suspends execution of a process for at least the interval specified by seconds, which can range from 0 to 2,147,483,647 seconds. Depending on system activity, the actual time of suspension may be longer. See the sleep(3) reference page. [Tru64 UNIX] seconds can be entered as a non-negative decimal, octal, or hexadecimal value. NOTES
If sleep receives a SIGALARM signal before process execution has resumed, sleep takes one of the following actions: Terminates normally with a 0 (zero) exit status. (See the sleep(3) reference page for more information.) Ignores the signal Performs default processing EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: Execution was successfully suspended for at least the requested time, or a SIGALARM signal was received. An error occurred. EXAMPLES
To display a message at 4-minute intervals for 20 minutes, create a shell script called remind containing the following: for i do sleep 240; echo $i sleep 240; echo $i sleep 240; echo $i sleep 240; echo $i sleep 240; echo $i done To display the message Try calling NHK at 4-minute intervals, enter: remind 'Try calling NHK' To run a command at regular intervals, create a shell script containing the following: while true do date sleep 60 done This displays the date and time once a minute. To execute a command after a specified interval, enter the following; (sleep 3600; echo Time's up) & This displays the message "Time's up" after one hour. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of sleep: Provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the internationalization vari- ables contain an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization variables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multibyte characters in arguments). Determines the locale for the for- mat and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of LC_MESSAGES. SEE ALSO
Commands: wait(1) Functions: alarm(3), pause(3), sigaction(2), sleep(3) Standards: standards(5) sleep(1)