Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: cliched unix help thread
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers cliched unix help thread Post 302088948 by jim mcnamara on Friday 15th of September 2006 09:49:50 AM
Old 09-15-2006
Ubuntu is vary easy to install. Debian is harder. Both will support your hardware if it has been around for more than say six months.

Don't use experimental kernels until you learn how to do backups and restores.

Ubuntu will ask if you want to dual boot - meaning you keep windows. You will need to create a partition large enough for ubuntu (or debian or whatever distro you choose). Then you can install and boot either to Windows or Ubuntu.

The only reason I mention Ubuntu is that it (and probably Knoppix ) is the easiest to install and get running. It's meant for Windows users. Knoppix will run from a cd, without ever installing anything. This is ultra-safe, and also pretty limited.

Please get out and read a lot before you do something you may not like.
Before you do anything, create a full backup.
Try http://www.ubuntu.com/ to start with.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

How to post a new thread (Regarding Unix related doubts) in Unix Forums

How to post a new thread (Regarding Unix related doubts) in Unix Forums. I registered my id but I am unable to post my Questions to Forum. Thanks & Regards, indusri (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: indusri
1 Replies

2. UNIX Benchmarks

unix benchmark thread?

Type: UltraSPARC IIIi 1,593 Mhz x2 Ram: 16G Disk: 2*70G fw scsi drives Load: db application kernel: Sunos5.10 pgms: compiled Sun cc -O2 ============================================================== BYTE UNIX Benchmarks (Version 3.11) System -- SunOS sun.spmbox.com 5.10... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_manny
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Measure thread execution (in C, unix)

Hi, I have a simulation program which creates two threads and I would like to know if I can measure the time of each individual thread. Threads communicate (I use pthread to manage them) and I want to measure communication time. I found a solution with clock_gettime and CLOCK_THREAD_CPUTIME_ID... (32 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tinkh
32 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Implementing thread in UNIX

Hi For our load testing , we are using stubs (unix shell script) which send the response to the request coming from the application. As the unix stub is single threaded , it is responding to only one request whereas multiple requests come in parallely. I haven't worked on thread concepts... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jenanee
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read from a file in unix(Continue from previous thread)

Hi This is continuation of previos thread status=running username=abc password=123456 server=linux The script was made which is used to capture the data from file ./scr test status It will give result running I have a case like status = running username=abc password=123456... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: parthmittal2007
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

What's UNIX Expert's suggestion for this thread ?

Assume that 100 file's of type .txt are saved in directory in which, 40 .txt files having ID 225 in column x 10 .txt files having ID 220 in column x 30 .txt files having ID 115 in column x and remaining 20 .txt file's having UNIQUE ID say 226,227,228,229,230....first I want to read only files... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
8 Replies

7. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

UNIX.com links from Google yield invalid thread error

If one enters a Google search query like site:unix.com mysql php and clicks on the resulting link, one gets the message below: vBulletin Message No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Unregistered
2 Replies
WHAT-PATCH(1)						      General Commands Manual						     WHAT-PATCH(1)

NAME
what-patch - detect which patch system a Debian package uses SYNOPSIS
what-patch [options] DESCRIPTION
what-patch examines the debian/rules file to determine which patch system the Debian package is using. what-patch should be run from the root directory of the Debian source package. OPTIONS
Listed below are the command line options for what-patch: -h, --help Display a help message and exit. -v Enable verbose mode. This will include the listing of any files modified outside or the debian/ directory and report any additional details about the patch system if available. AUTHORS
what-patch was written by Kees Cook <kees@ubuntu.com>, Siegfried-A. Gevatter <rainct@ubuntu.com>, and Daniel Hahler <ubuntu@thequod.de>, among others. This manual page was written by Jonathan Patrick Davies <jpds@ubuntu.com>. Both are released under the GNU General Public License, version 3 or later. SEE ALSO
The Ubuntu MOTU team has some documentation about patch systems at the Ubuntu wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide/PatchSystems cdbs-edit-patch(1), dbs-edit-patch(1), dpatch-edit-patch(1) DEBIAN
Debian Utilities WHAT-PATCH(1)