Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Setting variable
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Setting variable Post 302088821 by briskbaby on Thursday 14th of September 2006 03:33:14 PM
Old 09-14-2006
Setting variable

How do you set a varible with information that contains a string and also another variable? For example:

subject="Attention: $name / This $type needs your attention"

The $xxxx are of course other variables that I instantiated earlier. Is it like Java where you have to use double quotes and then single quotes within? Can someone please provide an example. Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setting CC variable

I am trying to install GCC-3.1.1 on an SGI Indigo2. I already have MIPSpro 7.2.1 installed. However, when I try to configure GCC-3.1.1, I get the message "cc ERROR: cc -o conftest -g failed, You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler." What is the name of the MIPSpro c++... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mdbanas
1 Replies

2. Programming

setting CC variable

I am trying to install GCC-3.1.1 on an SGI Indigo2. I already have MIPSpro 7.2.1 installed. However, when I try to configure GCC-3.1.1, I get the message "cc ERROR: cc -o conftest -g failed, You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler." What is the name of the MIPSpro c++... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mdbanas
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting a variable

I want to set a variable to be any number of dashes. Rather than doing the following: MYVAR="------------------" I'd like to be able to set the variable to, say, 80 dashes but don't want to have to count 80 dashes. Is there a way to do this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: photh
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable setting help please

L=0 cat test.sh | while read line do L='expr $1 + 1' echo $L done echo $l >>> the echo $L at the end produces 0 but i actually want it to produce the number of lines - any idea why this is happening? (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: penfold
16 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting a variable (need syntax help)

I need some syntax help (working in a bash shell) I have a variable which is a filename with an extension, and I need to create another variable with the same name but a different extension To explain, the input file should be called something like "filename.L1" and the output file should be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Slanter
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setting a variable

In my script, I have the following command.... du -sk `ls -ltd sales12|awk '{print $11}'`|awk '{print $1}' it returns the value 383283 I want to modify my script to capture that value into a variable. So, I try doing the following... var1=`du -sk `ls -ltd sales12|awk '{print... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tumblez
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with setting a variable!

I am working within a while loop and i am trying to set a variable that will read out each count of the files. the problem is the count variable i have set up gives me a total and not the individual count of each file. in the data area there is 4 abc.dat and 1 def.dat. how can i do this??? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pablo_beezo
2 Replies

8. Programming

Setting Environment variable..!

Hi, I already have one CPP program which invokes the C program.And the C program contains whole function definitions..!This is a working program..I have to enable the logs in both CPP as well as in the C program ..!So I am reading the enviornmental variable log path from the CPP and doing the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kattoor
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting a variable within if block

Hi, i have a variable which i would like to set inside an if block for example IS_VAR=0 if then IS_VAR=1 fi echo IS_VAR the last echo statement gives 0.So setting variables in the if block doesnt have effect outside the block?Is there any workaround for this? Thanks , Padmini (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: padmisri
11 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting a variable in unix

Hi , Whenever i want to start tomcat server I need to go to <tomcatdir>\bin and execute startup.sh file. How would i make this happen whenever i start my machine? Also want to know How would i set the variable at startup. for example I want to set JAVA_HOME and JRE_HOME whenever the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
3 Replies
StateVarView(3U)					    InterViews Reference Manual 					  StateVarView(3U)

NAME
StateVarView - state variable view base class SYNOPSIS
#include <Unidraw/stateview.h> DESCRIPTION
StateVarView is the base class for state variable views. State variable views provide a graphical interface to examining and potentially modifying a state variable subject. The StateVarView base class is an abstract class derived from MonoScene. Like MonoScene, the State- VarView class is not instantiated; instead, subclasses add state and behavior appropriate for displaying and editing their subject. Like other MonoScene subclasses, StateVarView subclasses use an interactor composition to define their appearance. PUBLIC OPERATIONS
virtual void Update() Update the state variable view in response to a change in state it depends on (typically the subject's). This operation does not normally need redefinition if Init and Stale (described below) are redefined. PROTECTED OPERATIONS
StateVarView(StateVar*) Subclass constructors normally take an instance of the corresponding subject as an argument. The base class constructor automati- cally attaches the view to the subject. virtual void Init() Initialize the view based on information in the subject. Subclasses redefine this operation according to their semantics; it does nothing by default. virtual boolean Stale() Return whether the view is in any way inconsistent with its subject. This operation always returns true by default; subclasses can redefine it to make a more discerning decision. SEE ALSO
MonoScene(3I), StateVar(3U) Unidraw 6 August 1990 StateVarView(3U)