Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Debian cannot send any mails using mailx Post 302088742 by ccc on Thursday 14th of September 2006 08:35:42 AM
Old 09-14-2006
I sent a lot of test mails to the root user, but couldn't find them in /var/mail/linux.

I cannot understand,
in a .forward file was: linux@localhost, but linux@localhost didn't get any root mails.

perhaps they were sent to the nirwana...

and I couldn't send any mails from outside to the root user. all mails to the root were denied.

now it works well.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

how to send mails to users on exchange server from sendmail/solaris(mailx)

Hi, Can anyone pls. tell me how to access Active directory from solaris. I am looking at solution by which I can send mail notification from the logs generated by scripts, to the users on Exchange server. I am trying for a Perl-LDAP module , but don't realy know how to go for it (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganeshh
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Does Mailx store the mails sent

Hi, I use mailx in a shell script to mail a message to the users. i wanted to know if mailx stores the mail that it sends? for eg in microsoft outlook all mails sent get stored in the outbox. is there such a facility with mailx? if not how i can do this so that for every mail sent, a backup... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: munira_johar
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete all mails using mailx or mail

Hi , ?im a newbie using shell scripts. Is there any way to write a script that will delete all mails from my mailbox using mail or mailx command Thanks for your time E. Festas (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ninjanesto
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

mailx is not working outside e-mails

HI i wrote schell script to send e-mail automatically. it works only e-mail for our company.say for example, company name is : abc, example: joe@abc.com every body is receiving with xxx@abc.com (abc.com) if any body from outside of our company like joe@xyz.com.(xyz.com) are not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raosurya
3 Replies

5. AIX

Not able to send mails

Hi, I am not able to send mails to the recipents. I am using AIX 5.3 Version and using the below command. cat test.log|mail -s "TestMail" user1@mail.com Can you please tell me is there any configurations to be done or is the above command wrong? Thanks & Regards Sheshadri (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arsheshadri
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mailx: How to send a attachment using mailx command

Hi All, Can anyone please provide the command for sending an mail with attachment using mailx command. Thanks in Advance :) Regards, Siram. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sriram.Vedula53
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

mailx- how to delete least of mails

Hi, when i run the mailx command it gives me the least of mails . suppose there are 1- 150 mails and i want to delete 30 to 145 mails . then what command i have to use here? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aish11
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

2 mails from mailx command

hi, While using mailx command i am receiving 2 mails with the same content in both the mails.I am attaching a file to the mailx command. In one mail file is coming as attachement and in other attachment is not there. I am using mailx command in this way. echo "Some content" |mailx... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: arijitsaha
0 Replies

9. IP Networking

Set default return address for all mails sent from mailx

Hi, I have a question about mailx in Red Hat: If I use 'mail userid@mydomain.com -- -f root@mydomain.com', the return mail address will be root@mydomain.com. How can I make all mails sent from this system use root@mydomain.com as return address by default? Thank you in advance! nz (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aixlover
1 Replies

10. HP-UX

Mailx command running successfully but no mails received.

Hi, I am working on a HP-UX box. Mailx command running successfully but no mails received. Here is what I am doing rocfm@comhp73 - mailx -s "subject" abc@gmail.com < abc.txt Null message body; hope that's ok rocfm@comhp73 - echo $? 0 rocfm@comhp73 - echo "something" | mailx -v -s... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sunayna
1 Replies
comsat(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 comsat(8)

NAME
comsat - The biff server SYNOPSIS
comsat DESCRIPTION
The comsat server receives reports of incoming mail and notifies users who request this service. comsat is invoked by the inetd(8) daemon when it receives messages on a datagram port associated with the biff(1) service specification in /etc/services(4). The datagram contains a 1-line message of the form: user@mailbox-offset If the user specified is logged in and the associated terminal has the owner execute bit turned on (with biff y), offset is used as a seek offset into the file named in mailbox. The first 7 lines or 560 characters of the mes- sage are printed on the user's system. The message excludes mail header lines other than the From or Subject lines. The comsat command always tries to convert incoming mail messages from the mail interchange codeset to the user's application codeset. It determines the mail interchange code first by checking the mail message itself to see if it contains the required information. Otherwise, the system-wide default mail interchange code in the file /usr/lib/mail-codesets will be used. If no such system file exists, no codeset conversion will be performed. The determination of the user's application code in each terminal session is by one of the following methods. The application codeset defined in the user's Asian tty driver. The codeset name stored in the ~/.codesetdevname file, where devname is the name of the terminal device for the current terminal session. You can obtain the value of devname by issuing the tty command. For example, if the tty command returns /dev/ttys8, use ttys8 as the value for devname. The lang valued option defined in $HOME/.mailrc or /usr/share/lib/Mail.rc. FILES
Specifies the command path. Includes information about logged-in users and their associated ttys. File containing mailx subcommands to customize mailx for a specific user. File containing mailx subcommands to change mailx for all users on the system. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: biff(1), inetd(8), mailx(1), mh(1) Files: services(4), inetd.conf(4), tty(7) delim off comsat(8)