Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: unix debugger
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers unix debugger Post 302088722 by naamas03 on Thursday 14th of September 2006 04:58:14 AM
Old 09-14-2006
unix debugger

hello
i'm working on cobol with unix
just want to know if there is any command in unix that related to debugger
i've been told something like anim command
i try to search for man anim
result :ERROR: Manual entry does not exist for page anim
does anyone have an answer ?
another thing
when i'm running the cobol i'm using object and not .exe file
how i'm performing the debbuger command along with the cobol object?
please help
best regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

wdb debugger

Hi all, is it possible to skip a function with the wdb debugger ? could be helpful instead of compiling the whole bunch again does someone know how to do this ? thx Sven (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sven28
4 Replies

2. Programming

how to use a c debugger in linux/unix

can anyone suggest tutorial sites for using c debugger in linux/unix environments (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wojtyla
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix GDB Debugger info

Can any body gime a link for sample programs which can help me to debug the C programs using unix gdb debuger. Please send me the sample programs wch can explain debugging also. I am a begginer for GDB. KG (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kapi.goel
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Kernel debugger

hi, I want to have a debugger for my kernel and I am using kernel-2.6.11 n i am having patches kdb-v4.4-2.6.11-common-1.bz2 kdb-v4.4-2.6.11-i386-1.bz2. I applied both. I did make menuconfig with options CONFIG_KDB n CONFIG_FRAME_POINTER being set. when i tried to compile kernel. I got an... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriram.ec
0 Replies

5. HP-UX

symbolic debugger for UNIX

I'm wanting to use a symbolic debugger to find a problem with a C program I'm working on in the HP-UX engine B.10.20 E 9000/800 environment; I've used the GNU debugger on Linux, but it does not exist on UNIX. A fellow here mentioned DDE, Distributed Debugging Environment, but I don't seem to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cleopard
3 Replies

6. Programming

multiprocess debugger

Hi, can somebody advise on a better multiprocess debugger? I heard with gdb we face lots of problems in multiprocess scenario currently i am using gdb debugger for a single process multithreaded project.. since i am supposed to work on a multiprocess now, i googled and came across... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rvan
1 Replies

7. Programming

Good C debugger ?

I'm a C newbie using gcc. I wrote a program but a part of it outputs gibberish onto the terminal. Its weird because identical parts of the program work correctly in another program I wrote :confused:. My program uses c99 + some POSIX headers. It compiles with no errors/warnings even though I have... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyler
15 Replies

8. Programming

Dbx Debugger

I have tried lots of stuff but i can't get it working, i have also found a Thread in this Forum about it but it didn't describe how the program has to be run ect. My issue is that i want to run a program with multiple arguments eg. ./myprog arg1 arg2 arg3 arg4 arg5 with dbx, but i cant get... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: alcatros
8 Replies

9. Solaris

Csharp Debugger

I want to debug my csharp project on solaris. Is anyone can tell me a program or anything else for this?? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dConstantine
0 Replies

10. Programming

Alternative debugger to GNU insight debugger

GNU insight debugger is not available now a days and it is required to debug/inspect assembly code as written in the book Assembly Language Programming step by step in Linux so my question is; is there any alternative to insight that I can use instead of insight in which I can get the same... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vectrum
5 Replies
obpsym(1M)						  System Administration Commands						obpsym(1M)

NAME
obpsym - Kernel Symbolic Debugging for OpenBoot Firmware SYNOPSIS
modload -p misc/obpsym DESCRIPTION
obpsym is a kernel module that installs OpenBoot callback handlers that provide kernel symbol information to OpenBoot. OpenBoot firmware user interface commands use the callbacks to convert numeric addresses to kernel symbol names for display purposes, and to convert kernel symbol names to numeric literals allowing symbolic names to be used as input arguments to user interface commands. Once obpsym is installed, kernel symbolic names may be used anywhere at the OpenBoot firmware's user interface command prompt in place of a literal (numeric) string. For example, if obpsym is installed, the OpenBoot firmware commands ctrace and dis typically display symbolic names and offsets in the form modname:symbolname + offset. User interface Commands such as dis can be given a kernel symbolic name such as ufs:ufs_mount instead of a numeric address. Placing the command forceload: misc/obpsym into the system(4) file forces the kernel module misc/obpsym to be loaded and activates the kernel callbacks during the kernel startup sequence. obpsym may be useful as a kernel debugger in situations where other kernel debuggers are not useful. For example, on SPARC machines, if obpsym is loaded, you may be able to use the OpenBoot firmware's ctrace command to display symbolic names in the stack backtrace after a watchdog reset. Kernel Symbolic Name Syntax The syntax for a kernel symbolic name is: [ module-name : ] symbol-name Where module-name is the name of the kernel module that the symbol symbol-name appears in. A NULL module name is taken as "all modules, in no particular order" by obpsym. The module name unix is equivalent to a NULL module name, so that conflicts with words defined in the firmware's vocabulary can be avoided. Typically, OpenBoot firmware reads a word from the input stream and looks the word up in its internal vocabulary before checking if the word is a literal. Thus, kernel symbols, such as reset may be given as unix:reset to avoid the unexpected side effect of the firmware find- ing and executing a matching word in its vocabulary. FILES
/etc/system system configuration information file /platform/platform-name/kernel/misc/obpsym ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcar | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
kadb(1M), kernel(1M), modload(1M), modunload(1M), uname(1), system(4), attributes(5) WARNINGS
Some OpenBoot firmware user interface commands may use system resources incompatibly with the way they are used by the Unix kernel. These commands and the use of this feature as a kernel debugger may cause interactions that the Unix kernel is not prepared to deal with. If this occurs, the Unix kernel and/or the OpenBoot firmware user interface commands may react unpredictably and may panic the system, or may hang or may cause other unpredictable results. For these reasons, the use of this feature is only minimally supported and recommended to be used only as a kernel debugger of "last resort". If a breakpoint or watchpoint is triggered while the console frame buffer is powered off, the system can crash and be left in a state from which it is difficult to recover. If one of these is triggered while the monitor is powered off, you will not be able to see the debugger output. NOTES
platform-name can be found using the -i option of uname(1) obpsym is supported only on architectures that support OpenBoot firmware. On some systems, OpenBoot must be completely RAM resident so the obpsym symbol callback support can be added to the firmware, if the firmware doesn't include support for the symbol callbacks. On these systems, obpsym may complain that it requires that "you must use ram- forth to use this module". See the for details on how to use the ramforth command, how to place the command into nvramrc, and how to set use-nvramrc? to true. On systems with version 1.x OpenBoot firmware, nvramrc doesn't exist, and the ramforth command must be typed manually after each reset, in order to use this module. Once installed, the symbol table callbacks can be disabled by using the following OpenBoot firmware command: 0 0 set-symbol-lookup SunOS 5.11 13 Dec 2001 obpsym(1M)