Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting funny characters at the end of file Post 302088720 by achieve on Thursday 14th of September 2006 04:39:35 AM
Old 09-14-2006
well I figured out the problem. I guess I should've given more information about what was going into the file instead of "blahblah".
I was outputting some info from the "top" command. The top command has these characters at the end of every line for some reason:

[prompt>]top -n0 | head -4 | tail -1 | cat -v
total 0.0% 0.0% 0.4% 0.0% 0.0% 0.2% 99.2%^[[K

So I just got rid of everything after the last percent sign and now I'm fine.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing characters from end of $string

I am writing a script to search PCL output and append more PCL data to the end accordingly. I need to remove the last 88 bytes from the string. I have searched for a few hours now and am coming up with nothing. I can't use head or tail because the PCL output is all on one line. awk crashes on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: craig2k
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filenames created with '\r' characters at the end

Hi all, Am creating files and doing copy,compare and deletion. As i do not want to mention the filepath everywhere, i store the filepaths in variables. FILENAME="/home/test/create/Myfile.txt" WR_PATH="/home/test/wrie/writefile.txt" RD_PATH="/home/test/myread/readfile.txt" echo "This is my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amio
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Inserting control characters at the end of each line

How to add control characters at the end of each line in a file? Can anyone help me with this? Thanks, Shobana (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shobana_s
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Append characters to end of line

Coding in unix shell script. Hi All, Please help Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam12345
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

take all characters from end to start till a fullstop

e.g. "hello.all" to be transformed to "all" :b: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing characters from end of line (length unknown)

Hi I have a file which contains wrong XML, There are some garbage characters at the end of line that I want to get rid of. Example: <request type="product" ><attributes><pair><name>q</name><value><!]></value></pair><pair><name>start</name><value>1</value></pair></attributes></request>�J ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dirtyd0ggy
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing characters from end of string

Hello, I have records like below that I want to remove any five characters from the end of the string before the double quotes unless it is only an asterik. 3919,5020 ,04/17/2012,0000000000006601.43,,0000000000000000.00,, 132, 251219,"*" 1668,0125 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyoung
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing end of line characters

Hello, I'm looking for some help in renaming data-timestamps stored within different calendar directories/files. The calendar directory has hundreds of ICS files: ~/Library/Calendars/F494C908.calendar/Events/92B65E439AAC.ics ~/Library/Calendars/F494C908.calendar/Events/DE7867E61969.ics... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Schubi
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a particular string from column eliminating characters at the end.

Hi, So basically I have this file containing query output in seperated columns. In particular column I have the below strings: news news-prio I am trying to grep the string news without listing news-prio aswell. I tried grep "$MSG_TYPE" , grep -w "$MSG_TYPE" , grep... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nms
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need help to delete special characters exists only at the end of the each record in UNIX file?

Hi, I have a file in unix with 15 columns.It consists special characters(#,$,^M,@,*,% etc)at the end of the each record.I want to remove these special characters.I used the following: Sed -e 's/ /g;s/ */ /g' . But It is removing special characters exists everywhere in the file(begining,middle... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshp
24 Replies
CAT(1)							      General Commands Manual							    CAT(1)

NAME
cat, read, nobs - catenate files SYNOPSIS
cat [ file ... ] read [ -m ] [ -n nline ] [ file ... ] nobs [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Cat reads each file in sequence and writes it on the standard output. Thus cat file prints a file and cat file1 file2 >file3 concatenates the first two files and places the result on the third. If no file is given, cat reads from the standard input. Output is buffered in blocks matching the input. Read copies to standard output exactly one line from the named file, default standard input. It is useful in interactive rc(1) scripts. The -m flag causes it to continue reading and writing multiple lines until end of file; -n causes it to read no more than nline lines. Read always executes a single write for each line of input, which can be helpful when preparing input to programs that expect line-at-a- time data. It never reads any more data from the input than it prints to the output. Nobs copies the named files to standard output except that it removes all backspace characters and the characters that precede them. It is useful to use as $PAGER with the Unix version of man(1) when run inside a win (see acme(1)) window. SOURCE
/src/cmd/cat.c /src/cmd/read.c /bin/nobs SEE ALSO
cp(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Read exits with status eof on end of file or, in the -n case, if it doesn't read nlines lines. BUGS
Beware of and which destroy input files before reading them. CAT(1)