Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: stacking case options
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting stacking case options Post 302088674 by forever_49ers on Wednesday 13th of September 2006 06:48:18 PM
Old 09-13-2006
stacking case options

possible to stack case commands ? I get an error, s. comments below

select choice in search delete quit
do

case $choice in
search)

select option in title director year
do

case $option in
title)
break
;;

director)
break
;;

year)
break
;;

quit)
exit
;;

esac
done

# program works up to here

# if I choose any of the options below I get an error message "syntax error near unexpected token ')'
'delete)'

delete)
break
;;

quit)
exit
;;

esac
done

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

lower case to upper case string conversion in shell script

How can convert a Lower case variable value to an upper case in the kron shell script. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dchalavadi
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script needed to select and delete lower case and mixed case records

HELLO ALL, URGENTLY NEEDED A SCRIPT TO SELECT AND DELETE LOWER AND MIXED CASE RECORDS FROM A COLUMN IN A TABLE. FOR EXAMPLE : Table name is EMPLOYEE and the column name is CITY and the CITY column records will be: Newyork washington ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhilash mn
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

use strings in case statement options

I iterate in string list well but when I try to add a case statement in order to wrap the string value in a more accurate message I faced different problems. #Code starts ST_CODES="CN CU BU CQ LE" for ST_CODE in $ST_CODES do #echo $ST_CODE CODE="$ST_CODE""\n" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fdiaza
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

data array needs to change upper case to lower case

Hi all, i have a data array as followes. ARRAY=DFSG345GGG ARRAY=234FDFG090 ARRAY=VDFVGBGHH so on.......... i need all english letters to be change to lower case. So i am expecting to see ARRAY=dfsg345ggg ARRAY=234fdfg090 ARRAY=vdfvgbghh so on........ If i have to copy this data in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: usustarr
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed ignoring case for search but respecting case for subtitute

Hi I want to make string substitution ignoring case for search but respecting case for subtitute. Ex changing all occurences of "original" in a file to "substitute": original becomes substitute Origninal becomes Substitute ORIGINAL becomes SUBSTITUTE I know this a little special but it's not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kmchen
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conversion from Upper Case to Lower Case Condition based

Hello Unix Gurus : It would be really appreciative if can find a solution for this . I have records in a file . I need to Capitalize the records based on condition . For Example i tried the following Command COMMAND --> fgrep "2000YUYU" /export/home/oracle/TST/data.dat | tr '' ''... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsbiju
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stacking Columns

How do I stack several columns of data into their own rows? In: A,B,C,d,e,f,g,H,I 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 Out: A,B,C,X,Y,H,I 1,2,3,d,4,8,9 1,2,3,e,5,8,9 1,2,3,f,6,8,9 1,2,3,g,7,8,9 Mike (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
10 Replies
break(1)							   User Commands							  break(1)

NAME
break, continue - shell built-in functions to escape from or advance within a controlling while, for, foreach, or until loop SYNOPSIS
sh break [n] continue [n] csh break continue ksh *break [n] *continue [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The break utility exits from the enclosing for or while loop, if any. If n is specified, break n levels. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosing for or while loop. If n is specified, resume at the n-th enclosing loop. csh The break utility resumes execution after the end of the nearest enclosing foreach or while loop. The remaining commands on the current line are executed. This allows multilevel breaks to be written as a list of break commands, all on one line. The continue utility continues execution of the next iteration of the nearest enclosing while or foreach loop. ksh The break utility exits from the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop, if any. If n is specified, then break n levels. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be exited. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop. If n is specified then resume at the n- th enclosed loop. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be used. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words that follow a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign, and also that word splitting and file name genera- tion are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh( 1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 break(1)