Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to get the most left hand string ?? Post 302088347 by jfortes on Monday 11th of September 2006 03:23:22 PM
Old 09-11-2006
Data How to get the most left hand string ??

Hi,

I remember once seeing a way to get the left most string in a word.
Let's say: a="First.Second.Third" (separated by dot)

echo ${a#*.} shows --> Second.Third
echo ${a##*.} shows --> Third

How do I get the the left most string "First" Or "First.Second" ???

Tried to replace # with + , but it doesn't work.
Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
Joao.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Give us a hand

How do you get an awk output into columns i.e. awk (print $1,$2,$3) doesn't come out into nice columns but lots of lines of txt want something more like. I am crap at unix so give me a hand thx Rich (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RichardB
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a hand. Please?

i have a script in sh. with awk, e.g. want to list all the contents of a subdirectory an a tabular way. ej: outoput directory1 subdirectory1 subdirectory2 subdirectory3 file1 filen file2 filez file2 ... filen+1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alexcol
1 Replies

3. Debian

change initramfs by hand?

What's the correct way to change the initramfs file that's used during boot? I know that it's a gzipped cpio archive, but when I gunzip, extract, re-archive (without changing any files), and gzip, then the result is that the system does not boot any more. And I even set the cpio archive type. ... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: frankie06
18 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Old hand to FreeBSD, brand new to KDE ??'s

I have now used FreeBSD from eh, 5.0??? But during that whole time I have never used xwindows or kde. My box's have always been servers of one type or another. I just set up a new BSD machine(8.0), and because I wanted to install boinc I knew that I would have to also install xwindows. Just the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: droolin
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Terminate left side portion of a string

I have a awk file which consists of the follwoing code in file select.awk : /xxx/ { time = gensub(/xxx \*\*\*(.*)/, "\\1", "g") printf("%s\n",time) next } and an input file with the following file file.txt :- xxx ***Wed May 2 18:00:00 CDT 2012 AAA AAAA AAAA xxx... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shikshavarma
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Place , character after 3 digits from left to right in a string

Hi All, Could anyone please help me, how to put ‘,' character after 3 digits from right to left count,among 17 digits sting. unix scripting Example - I am having 12345678911234567 digits Accepted result-- 12,345,678,911,234,567 Note- 12345678911234567 digits will be dynamic at run time, I... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: krupasindhu18
13 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge left hand strings mapping to different right hand strings

Hello, I am working on an Urdu to Hindi dictionary which has the following structure: a=b a=c n=d n=q and so on. i.e. Headword separated from gloss by a = I am giving below a live sample بتا=बता بتا=बित्ता بتا=बुत्ता بتان=बतान بتان=बितान بتانا=बिताना I need the following... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex to hunt for a string in the right hand column

I have a database which has the following structure English word=IPA notation as in the example below huckleberry=ˈhʌkəl-bəriː huddling=ˈhʌd-lɪŋ huffish=ˈhʌ-fɪʃ hugger-mugger=ˈhʌgər-mʌgər hulling=ˈhʌ-lɪŋ human=ˈhjuː-mən humanitarian=hjuːˌ-mænɪˈteərɪyən... (7 Replies)
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching number of syllables on right-hand and left side

I am developing a database for translating names. I have mapped through a rule engine syllables in English to syllables in Indic, delimited by an equal to sign. An example will illustrate this ra m=रा म ku ma r=कु मा र mo=मो la l=ला ल gi ta=गी ता ka la va ti=कa ला वa ती However it so... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Just want to ask if there is a shorter hand to doing this one liner

Hi all, In Oracle, I am using SQL*Plus and selecting all rows in a table and spooling to a file as pipe delimited. I have to use pagesize 0 but unfortunately, using this option excludes the header and I can't get around having it to display the header fields. So to get around this, I have to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)