Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: wc command confusion
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers wc command confusion Post 302088009 by Dhruva on Friday 8th of September 2006 02:45:19 AM
Old 09-08-2006
What i found is echo put newline character at the end of string and which can be omitted by using \c escape sequence.
\c output string without newline character.
similar thing can be achieved by echo -n but i dont have echo with -n option.

ksh's echo, does not have a -n option. sh's echo and /usr/bin/echo only have a -n option if the SYSV3 environment variable is set.
/usr/ucb/echo has -n option.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ftp confusion

I'm an intern at a company that recently bought out another business. In doing so, they inherited a unix system that contains files which they need to retrieve. No one in the company, including myself, really understands or knows unix so please respond with the true assumption that I'm a unix... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: intern
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

'tr' confusion

Good day, everyone! Could anybody explain me the following situation. If I'm running similar script: Var="anna.kurnikova" Var2="Anna Kurn" echo $Var | tr -t "$Var" "$Var2" Why the output is : anna KurniKova instead of Anna Kurnikova? :confused: Thank you in advance for any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nafanja
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Mail command confusion

When i run this command on my linux machine: mail -s "CVS ALERT-CRITCAL" sandy@xyz.com The system hangs up producing a dead letter. What should i do to resolve this. I am using : mailx -s "CVS ALERT-CRITCAL" sandy@xyz.com This cammnd works fine on another Linux machine but says"... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsandeep_80
14 Replies

4. Solaris

Printer confusion

I have printer old about 5 year , but I can not determine which driver to use output of ls -al /usr/share/lib/terminfo/h -rw-r--r-- 1 root bin 961 Jan 22 2005 h1000 -rw-r--r-- 1 root bin 1002 Jan 22 2005 h1420 -rw-r--r-- 1 root bin 1009... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
2 Replies

5. Cybersecurity

LDAP; confusion

Hello, I hope all is well. Two issues that I am grappling with. One: Is this a true statement: (AIX, LDAP configured), even if authentication is configured with LDAP, the system would still need to be authenticated against local (/etc/passwd); incase of network failure? Two: I can log... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsheikh
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Query] Confusion of the Swap when using 'free -m' command

Hi All, I have just installed my first Linux server ( Ubuntu 11.10 ). I am sure I didn't allocate /swap , and double check by 'df -h', yes really no /swap but when I use 'free -m' , returned a "Swap" line as below. total used free shared buffers cached Mem: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joaming
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Confusion with PS

Hello All, I have a problem in counting number of process getting run with my current script name.. Here it is ps -ef | grep $0 | grep -v grep This display just one line with the PID, PPID and other details when i print it in the script. But when I want to count the numbers in my... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sathyaonnuix
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

confusion in use of exit 0

hi i am new to shell scripting. i was going thru the part option and arguments. on this section i fail to understand the use of exit 0 in below example . #!/bin/sh USAGE="Usage: $0 " case "$1" in -t) TARGS="-tvf $2" ;; -c) TARGS="-cvf $2.tar $2" ;; *) echo "$USAGE" exit 0 ;; esac... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
13 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Confusion with echo command under csh shell

HI, guys, I am having some problem with the echo command, so I want to echo some text to a file name loginFile, the result inside the loginFile should looks like: expect ">" so what I did is: echo "expect "">""" >> $loginFile but it just gave out: expect > The thing is I still need... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: warmboy610
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Confusion in hash

Hi folks, If a declare a direct hash , then the hash element works fine. my %test = ("test",1); print %test; print "\n"; Here in the above, the name of the hash is predeclared... Suppose now I need to create the hash elements dynamically in the for loop. $test="hash"; my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
1 Replies
SHTOOL-ECHO.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool						SHTOOL-ECHO.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-echo - GNU shtool echo(1) extensional command SYNOPSIS
shtool echo [-n|--newline] [-e|--expand] string DESCRIPTION
shtool echo is an echo(1) style command which prints string to stdout and optionally provides special expansion constructs (terminal bold mode, environment details, date, etc) and newline control. The trick of this command is that it provides a portable -n option and hides the gory details needed to find out the environment details under option -e. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -n, --newline By default, output is written to stdout followed by a "newline" (ASCII character 0x0a). If option -n is used, this newline character is omitted. -e, --expand If option -e is used, string can contain special "%x" constructs which are expanded before the output is written. Currently the following constructs are recognized: %B switch terminal mode to bold display mode. %b switch terminal mode back to normal display mode. %u the current user name. %U the current user id (numerical). %g the current group name. %G the current group id (numerical). %h the current hostname (without any domain extension). %d the current domain name. %D the current day of the month. %M the current month (numerical). %m the current month name. %Y the current year. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool echo -n -e "Enter your name [%B%u%b]: "; read name shtool echo -e "Your Email address might be %u@%h%d" shtool echo -e "The current date is %D-%m-%Y" HISTORY
The GNU shtool echo command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 1998 for Website META Language (WML) under the name buildinfo. It was later taken over into GNU shtool. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), echo(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-ECHO.TMP(1)