Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: wc command confusion
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers wc command confusion Post 302087859 by Dhruva on Wednesday 6th of September 2006 10:40:01 AM
Old 09-06-2006
wc command confusion

Can somebody explain it to me that why wc gives more chars suppose
Ab.txt have two lines
qwer
qasd
then wc -c ab.txt will give 10.why not 8.okay may be it is taking count one for each line just in case but why echo "qwer"|wc -C gives 5.

Ok with \c it is returning 4. Smilie

Last edited by Dhruva; 09-06-2006 at 11:46 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ftp confusion

I'm an intern at a company that recently bought out another business. In doing so, they inherited a unix system that contains files which they need to retrieve. No one in the company, including myself, really understands or knows unix so please respond with the true assumption that I'm a unix... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: intern
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

'tr' confusion

Good day, everyone! Could anybody explain me the following situation. If I'm running similar script: Var="anna.kurnikova" Var2="Anna Kurn" echo $Var | tr -t "$Var" "$Var2" Why the output is : anna KurniKova instead of Anna Kurnikova? :confused: Thank you in advance for any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nafanja
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Mail command confusion

When i run this command on my linux machine: mail -s "CVS ALERT-CRITCAL" sandy@xyz.com The system hangs up producing a dead letter. What should i do to resolve this. I am using : mailx -s "CVS ALERT-CRITCAL" sandy@xyz.com This cammnd works fine on another Linux machine but says"... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsandeep_80
14 Replies

4. Solaris

Printer confusion

I have printer old about 5 year , but I can not determine which driver to use output of ls -al /usr/share/lib/terminfo/h -rw-r--r-- 1 root bin 961 Jan 22 2005 h1000 -rw-r--r-- 1 root bin 1002 Jan 22 2005 h1420 -rw-r--r-- 1 root bin 1009... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
2 Replies

5. Cybersecurity

LDAP; confusion

Hello, I hope all is well. Two issues that I am grappling with. One: Is this a true statement: (AIX, LDAP configured), even if authentication is configured with LDAP, the system would still need to be authenticated against local (/etc/passwd); incase of network failure? Two: I can log... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsheikh
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Query] Confusion of the Swap when using 'free -m' command

Hi All, I have just installed my first Linux server ( Ubuntu 11.10 ). I am sure I didn't allocate /swap , and double check by 'df -h', yes really no /swap but when I use 'free -m' , returned a "Swap" line as below. total used free shared buffers cached Mem: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joaming
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Confusion with PS

Hello All, I have a problem in counting number of process getting run with my current script name.. Here it is ps -ef | grep $0 | grep -v grep This display just one line with the PID, PPID and other details when i print it in the script. But when I want to count the numbers in my... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sathyaonnuix
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

confusion in use of exit 0

hi i am new to shell scripting. i was going thru the part option and arguments. on this section i fail to understand the use of exit 0 in below example . #!/bin/sh USAGE="Usage: $0 " case "$1" in -t) TARGS="-tvf $2" ;; -c) TARGS="-cvf $2.tar $2" ;; *) echo "$USAGE" exit 0 ;; esac... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
13 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Confusion with echo command under csh shell

HI, guys, I am having some problem with the echo command, so I want to echo some text to a file name loginFile, the result inside the loginFile should looks like: expect ">" so what I did is: echo "expect "">""" >> $loginFile but it just gave out: expect > The thing is I still need... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: warmboy610
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Confusion in hash

Hi folks, If a declare a direct hash , then the hash element works fine. my %test = ("test",1); print %test; print "\n"; Here in the above, the name of the hash is predeclared... Suppose now I need to create the hash elements dynamically in the for loop. $test="hash"; my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
1 Replies
dos2unix(1)						      General Commands Manual						       dos2unix(1)

NAME
dos2unix - DOS/MAC to UNIX text file format converter SYNOPSYS
dos2unix [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents dos2unix, the program that converts plain text files in DOS/MAC format to UNIX format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates dos2unix under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. dos2unix Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. dos2unix a.txt b.txt dos2unix -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. Convert c.txt from Mac to Unix ascii format. dos2unix a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c mac a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. dos2unix -k a.txt dos2unix -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. dos2unix -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix a.txt -n b.txt e.txt dos2unix -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. dos2unix -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHORS
Benjamin Lin - <blin@socs.uts.edu.au> Bernd Johannes Wuebben (mac2unix mode) <wuebben@kde.org> MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
unix2dos(1) mac2unix(1) 1995.03.31 dos2unix v3.0 dos2unix(1)