Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sorting files in a directory
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Sorting files in a directory Post 302087804 by RishiPahuja on Wednesday 6th of September 2006 02:52:27 AM
Old 09-06-2006
MySQL

May be there could be some more simpler way to get it done, but as of now all i could think of is something like

Code:
ls -l | sort -rd | awk '{ print $9 }'

Rishi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting Files

How to sort such files which contains records of varying length and varying lines? (With respect to Bash shell) Eg: Each record begins with a sting of 1/0(binary) which may or may not be followed by properties like AB,BS etc. I have to sort such records on the basis of 1/0 string and keep the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeep_hi
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting files in a directory

Hi guys, Probably an easy one, but how do you sort a directory so that the files come first, then subdirectories? ie ./dir1 contains file 1 subdir 1 file 2 i need it to become file 1 file 2 subdir 1 as i'm using it in a script to pass each one through a for loop, and would... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: olimiles
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sorting Directory Listing

If I do an ls -l on a directory I get this: -rw-r--r-- 1 root other 5248094 Jun 24 03:56 monitor.log.7 -rw-r--r-- 1 root other 5248303 Jul 11 11:19 ct.log.1 -rw-r--r-- 1 root other 5248907 Jun 29 06:01 ct_monitor.log.5 -rw-r--r-- 1 root other 5249042 Jun 19... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sepia
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need some help for sorting files

I am new to shell scripting can u guys please provide a small script for the following senario step1:need to find some files in a directory for ex having 020908 step2:sort them and redirecting to new file (ex:sort abc > abc.sort) i am trying this but giveing flag error ls -l... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgreddy2020
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting by Full directory path

I have a text file with full list of files with their full path. I wanted to sort it by directory then files then subdirectory by alphabetically. When I used the sort command it doesn't give like what I want. Could somebody help me on this. Here is the ex: This is what I'm getting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: javidraaj
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting issue with directory and file name

Hi All, My folder contains the files as: $ ls -lrt total 50 lms_prap_rf_20100422_99.xml lms_prap_rf_20100422_9.xml lms_prap_rf_20100422_100.xml lms_prap_rf_20100422_10.xml lms_prap_rf_20100426_1.xml I need to get the sorting of the above file based on numbers. I need first file in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreejitnair123
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help with sorting files

find / -type f 2> /dev/null | find -inum +1 2> /dev/null | find -mtime -30 2> /dev/null what i am trying to do i search all regular files in root directory with one or more inodes modified within last 30 days. the /dev/null is to suppress the permission denied outputs. i am now trying to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: iluvsushi
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Complex data sorting in excel files or text files

Dear all, I have a complex data file shown below,,,,, A_ABCD_13208 0 0 4.16735 141044 902449 1293900 168919 C_ABCD_13208 0 0 4.16735 141044 902449 1293900 168919 A_ABCDEF715 52410.9 18598.2 10611 10754.7 122535 252426 36631.4 C_DBCDI_1353 0... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: AAWT
19 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Sorting files by size in another directory

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I'm trying to use a directory path to enter a new directory and sort the files there. I'm using the language C with a system call in Unix to sort the files from smallest to largest. 2. Relevant commands, code, scripts, algorithms:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TedFTW
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directory containing files,Print names of the files in the directory that are exactly same content.

Given a directory containing say a few thousand files, please output a list of all the names of the files in the directory that are exactly the same, i.e. have the same contents. func(a_directory_name) output -> {“matches”: , ... ]} e.g. func(“/home/my/files”) where the directory... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
7 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangVar - standard codes for language variation identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangVar; $lvar = code2langvar('acm'); # $lvar gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langvar2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langvar_codes(); @names = all_langvar_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangVar" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language variations, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language variations. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lvar = code2langvar('en','alpha-2'); $lvar = code2langvar('en',LOCALE_CODE_ALPHA_2); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of alphanumeric codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'arevela' for Eastern Armenian. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_LANGVAR_ALPHA". This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langvar2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langvar_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langvar_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langvar_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2012 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)