Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Accessing Unix from Server
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Accessing Unix from Server Post 302087771 by UMiami10 on Tuesday 5th of September 2006 04:24:13 PM
Old 09-05-2006
Accessing Unix from Server

I am trying to access my school's unix server. On one of the tutorials they passed out there were instructions on how to dial a modem to connect or something but I think i should be able to connect to it through my school's internet connection. All of my school's computers has access to a unix server and people have usernames and passwords to access the system so I was wondering what I should download to get a unix system on my computer that I can run in windows and access my school's server. Thanks in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Accessing a FTP Server hosted on Linux

We have set-up a FTP server on a Linux machine, which sits behind a firewall. Most users outside our firewall can access it, but one user in particular cannot. I assume it has something to do with their firewall rules. It appears that they can connect with no problem but the server does not grant... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Breen
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remotely accessing a server

Ok, so I'm a total beginner when it come to unix shells, but my friends and I are starting to get into it. It turns out that I have an extra computer lying around and I want to set it up as a server se we can run shell commands on it. Does anyone know of any guides on how to set up the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogre
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

accessing ms access from unix server...

Hello, I have a databse stored in my Unix server. I can't change the database because is used by a third party software. How Can I make some queries to this database (I want to extend the information for all the users using Apache + php on the unix server.) I looked at unixODBC but I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncatdesigner
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accessing windows server

Hello guys, i have a scenario that i need to run some commands on a unix machine and them connect on a windows server machine stop some services and them back to the Unix machine do another commands.. There is a way to do that with shell script? tks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paddock
1 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

Problem with accessing subversion installed on unix server through windows GUI

We are using subversion as a version control system in our project. We are connecting to client`s sun Solaris box through check point VPN. Client has installed subversion . We have created repository and add files to it. Now we want to access the same from our windows machine (through... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aasid
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Accessing Solaris Server

Dear all, We have a Solaris Server at other location. Can we access the Server from remote ....Any software is needed for this ....pl help. Rgds Rj (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Accessing secured server using shell script

Hi, I was trying to connect secure server using SFTP, but end up in error. Im looking for a shell script which will connect my secured FTP server For EG: hostname = example.com username = fed password = pass port = 993 Destination = web Push some tar file into web folder which is in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paulwintech
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Accessing mail server from UNIX

Hi all, I need to access the mails sent to me in a mail server(IMAP mail server), and download the attachment sent in the mail to the unix environment. Please help me to acheive the same. I am not able to install python , PHP modules in my unix box due to installation restriction in my work... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arun1377
3 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Accessing one UNIX node from another node of the same server

Hi Experts, I am in need of running a script from one node say node 1 via node 2. My scheduling tool dont have access to node2 , so i need to invoke the list file from node1 but the script needs to run from node2. because the server to which i am hitting, is having access only for the node... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arun1377
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Why am I root? (accessing sftp server with pubkeys)

Hi, It is my first post here - I am Krzysztof http://forum.synology.com/enu/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif I have configured my linux based server (it is Synology DS1813+) to be accessible only via SSH and only with public certificates (my /etc/ssh/sshd_conf below). Both login into shell... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hicnar
1 Replies
CHRONY(1)							   User's Manual							 CHRONY(1)

NAME
chrony - programs for keeping computer clocks accurate SYNOPSIS
chronyc [OPTIONS] chronyd [OPTIONS] DESCRIPTION
chrony is a pair of programs for keeping computer clocks accurate. chronyd is a background (daemon) program and chronyc is a command-line interface to it. Time reference sources for chronyd can be RFC1305 NTP servers, human (via keyboard and chronyc), or the computer's real- time clock at boot time (Linux only). chronyd can determine the rate at which the computer gains or loses time and compensate for it while no external reference is present. Its use of NTP servers can be switched on and off (through chronyc) to support computers with dial- up/intermittent access to the Internet, and it can also act as an RFC1305-compatible NTP server. USAGE
chronyc is a command-line interface program which can be used to monitor chronyd's performance and to change various operating parameters whilst it is running. chronyd's main function is to obtain measurements of the true (UTC) time from one of several sources, and correct the system clock accord- ingly. It also works out the rate at which the system clock gains or loses time and uses this information to keep it accurate between mea- surements from the reference. The reference time can be derived from either Network Time Protocol (NTP) servers, reference clocks, or wristwatch-and-keyboard (via chronyc). The main source of information about the Network Time Protocol is http://www.ntp.org. It is designed so that it can work on computers which only have intermittent access to reference sources, for example computers which use a dial-up account to access the Internet or laptops. Of course, it will work well on computers with permanent connections too. In addition, on Linux it can monitor the system's real time clock performance, so the system can maintain accurate time even across reboots. Typical accuracies available between 2 machines are On an ethernet LAN : 100-200 microseconds, often much better On a V32bis dial-up modem connection : 10's of milliseconds (from one session to the next) With a good reference clock the accuracy can reach one microsecond. chronyd can also operate as an RFC1305-compatible NTP server and peer. SEE ALSO
chronyc(1), chrony(1) http://chrony.tuxfamily.org/ AUTHOR
Richard Curnow <rc@rc0.org.uk> This man-page was written by Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org> as part of "The Missing Man Pages Project". Please see http://www.netmeister.org/misc/m2p2/index.html for details. The complete chrony documentation is supplied in texinfo format. chrony @VERSION@ @MAN_DATE@ CHRONY(1)