Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Padding variables
Top Forums Programming Padding variables Post 302087737 by flounder on Tuesday 5th of September 2006 11:18:41 AM
Old 09-05-2006
Padding variables

Is there a function in c that will allow me to pad variables?

I have an int that can't be longer than 10. I need to pad a numeric value with leading zeros

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Padding issues

Hello, Structure padding & structure size are different on Compaq & HP UNIX. When structures are transfered via netfork from Compaq to HP will this be a problem? If yes, what can be the solution? Thanks, shilpa (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: informshilpa
2 Replies

2. Programming

Zero Padding to a string

I am writing a C program which a part of it needs to padding zero in front of a string. The program will get a sting from an ASCII file which the maxium length of this string is 5 char long. The string can sometimes less the 5 char long. In order to make it with the same length '0's are being... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wing m. Cheng
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Padding

Hi Can anyone tell me how to pad zeroes on the left side to a numeric string in unix shell scripting Your answer is very much appreciated Thanks Vijay (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaygopalsk
2 Replies

4. Programming

Byte Padding

Hi, Can someone explain what is byte padding? For ex: struct emp{ char s; int b; char s1; int b1; long b3; char s3; } What will be the size of this structure? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: naan
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Padding With White Space Between Variables

Dear Users, How do we pad with white space of particular length between two variables. For Example: Suppose i define the variables as follows: a='toyota' b='camry' c='honda' d='accord' e=`echo "$a"'\n'"$b"` f=`echo "$c"'\n'"$d"` If i do an echo on variables e and f i get :... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sandeep_1105
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zero padding dates

I have a file with records containing dates like: SMPBR|DUP-DO NOT USE|NEW YORK||16105|BA5270715|2007-6-6|MWERNER|109||||JOHN||SMITH|MD|72211118||||||74559|21 WILMINGTON RD||D|2003-11-6|SL# MD CONTACT-LIZ RICHARDS|||0|Y|N||1411458| How can I get the date fields in each of my records to be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ChicagoBlues
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Padding with zeros.

Hi Friends, I would like to left pad with "0's" on first column say (width six) I have a large file with the format: FILE: 1: ALFRED 84378 NY 8385: JAMES 88385 FL 323: SMITH 00850 TX My output needs to be like: 000001: ALFRED 84378 NY 008385: JAMES 88385 FL 000323: SMITH... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbasetty
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Padding leading zero

hi All i am new to linux... source txt .. 281-BUM-5M BUM-5M 0 0 282-BUM-5M BUM-5M 0 0 83-BUM-5M BUM-5M 0 0 is it possible to use bash script to convert to (remove the "-" and fill up to 4 digit" ? 0281 BUM-5M BUM-5M 0 0 0282 BUM-5M BUM-5M 0 0 0083 BUM-5M BUM-5M 0 0 thanks a ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: samoptimus
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash padding

Hi all Is there a way to pad the output of a bash script see that code below for i in `sed -n '/Start Printer/,/End Printer/p' /u/ab/scripts/hosts.conf | awk '!/^#/ {print $2}' | egrep -v 'broke|primera' `; do pages=`snmpget -Ov -v1 -c public $i sysLocation.0 | awk '{print $2}'` ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ab52
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Padding a csv value with 0's

I have this csv file that I would like to sort on the 20th and 21st field. They are high lighted below. My challenge is that when I sort on those fields they are not in order as I would have liked. It seems like I have to pad those fields to the longest value in that fields data. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: GroveTuckey
6 Replies
CURSES_PAD(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 					     CURSES_PAD(3)

NAME
curses_pad, newpad, subpad, prefresh, pnoutrefresh -- curses pad routines LIBRARY
Curses Library (libcurses, -lcurses) SYNOPSIS
#include <curses.h> WINDOW * newpad(int lines, int cols); WINDOW * subpad(WINDOW *pad, int lines, int cols, int begin_y, int begin_x); int prefresh(WINDOW *pad, int pbeg_y, int pbeg_x, int sbeg_y, int sbeg_x, int smax_y, int smax_x); int pnoutrefresh(WINDOW *pad, int pbeg_y, int pbeg_x, int sbeg_y, int sbeg_x, int smax_y, int smax_x); DESCRIPTION
These functions create and display pads on the current screen. The newpad() function creates a new pad of size lines, cols. subpad() is similar to newpad() excepting that the size of the subpad is bounded by the parent pad pad. The subpad shares internal data structures with the parent pad and will be refreshed when the parent pad is refreshed. The starting column and row begin_y, begin_x are rel- ative to the parent pad origin. The pnoutrefresh() function performs the internal processing required by curses to determine what changes need to be made to synchronise the internal screen buffer and the terminal but does not modify the terminal display. A rectangular area of the pad starting at column and row pbeg_y, pbeg_x is copied to the corresponding rectangular area of the screen buffer starting at column and row sbeg_y, sbeg_x and extending to smax_y, smax_x. The prefresh() function causes curses to propagate changes made to the pad specified by pad to the terminal display. A rectangular area of the pad starting at column and row pbeg_y, pbeg_x is copied to the corresponding rectangular area of the terminal starting at column and row sbeg_y, sbeg_x and extending to smax_y, smax_x. The pnoutrefresh() and doupdate() functions can be used together to speed up terminal redraws by deferring the actual terminal updates until after a batch of updates to multiple pads has been done. RETURN VALUES
Functions returning pointers will return NULL if an error is detected. The functions that return an int will return one of the following values: OK The function completed successfully. ERR An error occurred in the function. SEE ALSO
curses_refresh(3), curses_window(3) NOTES
The subpad() function is similar to the derwin(3) function, and not the subwin(3) function. STANDARDS
The NetBSD Curses library complies with the X/Open Curses specification, part of the Single Unix Specification. HISTORY
The Curses package appeared in 4.0BSD. BSD
December 4, 2002 BSD