Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Trim trailing spaces from each line in a file Post 302087391 by tmarikle on Thursday 31st of August 2006 01:09:58 PM
Old 08-31-2006
sed 's/[ ]*$//' old > new

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing trailing spaces of a particular column in a file

Hi, I am currently confused. Suppose I have a file something like the one below. 4299|raj Telecommunications|12||||| 4302|anjali International Ltd.|86|ritchie||dong|(000)2890 9993 |(222)4881 3689 4305|フィデュシアリ・ト-スト・インター...ショ...ル投資顧問株式会社 |112||||01-9211-1931 |08-3677-1985 Now... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rooh
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding Trailing Spaces to a file

I have a text file which is not fixed width. I want to put trailing spaces to each line and make it a 100 byte fixed width file. Can someone please help me as soon as possible? Thanks, Denis (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 222001459
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

To Trim spaces at the end of line

Hi Friends, Can any one help with this issue: How to trim spaces for each line at the end, Like I have a file in this format. EMP1 SMITH 46373 5 STREET HOWARD 74636 EMP2 JONES 5454 { these are spaces ........} EMP3 SMITH 46373 5 STREET HOWARD 74636 EMP4 JON 2554 { these are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sbasetty
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove trailing spaces from a line

I want to remove the trailing spaces from any line of file. line ending does not follow any pattern. plz help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas_kesarwani
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

trim spaces in a file

Hi, I'm new to shell programming. Need some help in the following requirement: I have a file origFile.txt with values: origFile.txt .00~ 145416.02~ xyz~ ram kishor .35~ 765.76~ anh reid~ kishna kerry Now each row in the file has value for 4 columns with "~" as... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: badrimohanty
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I don't want to truncate trailing spaces and ^M at the end of line

I have a script wherein I access each line of the file using a FOR loop and then perform some operations in each line. The problem is each line that gets extracted in FOR loop truncates trailing blank spaces and control characters (^M) that is present at the end of each line. I don't wan this to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shobana_s
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove trailing spaces from file

I'm currently writing my sql results to a file and they have trailing spaces after each field. I want to get rid of these spaces and I'm using this code: TVXTEMP=$(echo $TVXTEMP|sed -e 's/\ //g') It doesn't work though. I'm not familiar with sedscript, and the other codes I've found online... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: avillanueva
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add trailing spaces to have file with lines of the same length?

I have textfile (source.txt) with different length of lines in it. Can anybody help to compose a script under bash which would add suitable number of trailing spaces to the end of each line so that after the processing the each line would have the same (let's say 100 char) length? Output can be... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sameucho
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Trim trailing spaces from file

I have a file like this. hari,corporationbank,2234356,syndicate ravi,indian bank,4567900000000,indianbank,accese raju,statebank of hyderabad,565866666666666,pause Here each record has different record length and there are blank spaces... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshari8888
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove leading and trailing spaces from a file

Hi, I am trying to remove leading and trailing spaces from a file using awk but somehow I have not been able to do it. Here is the data that I want to trim. 07/12/2017 15:55:00 |entinfdev |AD ping Time ms | .474| 1.41| .581|green |flat... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: svajhala
9 Replies
DBVIEW(1)							Database Management							 DBVIEW(1)

NAME
dbview - View dBase III files SYNOPSIS
dbview [-b|--browse] [-d delim| --delimiter delim] [-D|--deleted] [-e|--description] [-h|--help] [-i|--info] [-o|--omit] [-v|--version] [-r|--reserve] [-t|--trim] dbfile DESCRIPTION
Dbview is a little tool that will display dBase III files. You can also use it to convert your old .dbf files for further use with Unix. It should also work with dBase IV files, but this is mostly untested. By default dbview displays the contents of a dBase III or IV database file. This is be done by displaying both the name of the field itself and its value. At the end of every record a newline is appended. OPTIONS
If no option given dbview only displays the database in its most friendly way. --browse, -b switches into browse mode. Using this mode no fieldnames will be displayed, instead every record will displayed in one line using a delimiter to separate fields. --delimiter, -d delimiter The default delimiter in browse mode is the colon sign ``:''. This parameter overrides it. This can be useful especially if you plan to examine the output with scripts. --deleted, -D displays deleted records as well as the delete state in each record in the database. --description, -e displays the field description of the database. --help, -h displays a complete (or short) help screen. --info, -i displays some (partially technical) information about the database like number of records and length of each record. --omit, -o omits displaying the whole database. Using this parameter can be useful if you're only interested in the structure. --reserve, -r Normally fieldnames are converted into a more friendly format. They are stored in capital letters, but that looks like shouting. This parameter supresses the conversion. --trim, -t When this option is specified, leading and trailing spaces are omitted. This might be useful when in browse mode. --version, -v displays version and exits. NOTES
As dBase is DOS, umlauts are stored using a different code table (namely ASCII) than most modern unices (namely ANSI). If you encounter such a file, I would recommend piping the output through recode(1) with ibmpc:latin1 as it's argument. If you want to examine the output generated by the browse mode, just take cut(1) and set its delimiter to the used delimiter or take awk(1) and continue. COPYRIGHT
Dbview is free software. It is based on routines from unknown source that I found on nic.funet.fi in /pub/msdos/languages/c as dbase.c. The file contained the following notice: These functions are provided by Valour Software as a gift. I have modified and included this file and wrote a skeleton around it. All together provides a powerful tool for dBase III and IV database manipulation under Unix. I mainly have written this program, because I've got several dbase files containing important information for me. As I won't go running DOS everytime I need some of the stored information, I had to find a viewer that runs unter Unix, resp. Linux, but unfortunately didn't find one. So it was my turn. This package as a whole is published under the GNU Public License, which is a great invention. It wasn't the intention to write a freaking viewer and reinvent the wheel again. Instead dbview is intend to be used in conjunction with your favourite unix text utilities like cut, recode and more. Martin Schulze Infodrom Oldenburg joey@infodrom.north.de SEE ALSO
recode(1), more(1), awk(1), cut(1). Unix November 20th, 2006 DBVIEW(1)