Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How to create a new ftp user account with limited access..? Post 302087332 by Jeremy3 on Thursday 31st of August 2006 04:36:02 AM
Old 08-31-2006
Thanks for your feedback, highly appreciated.

In fact here are my limitation,
- I don't have a compiler installed on the machine, so I can't install a thired party ftp software, like proftp, or wu-ftpd
- Also, for security reason the anonymous ftp won't be implemented.

So far so good, I succeded in implmenting part of the ftp, howevr I'm having problems restricting the user to it's home directory.

So how do we jail(or chroot) the guest ftp user?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

create or modify user account to have same access as root

Is there a way to create or better yet modify a user account so it has the same privs as root? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: xadamz23
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

create user - limited priviledge

i want to create unix user account (usera) for outsider so that they can run program that exist in /application/xxx/. The account have their own home directory (/home/usera). But on the same time the user cannot run any application/command either than in /application/xxx/. User can only... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: golden_shooter
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

create user - limited priviledge

i want to create unix user account (usera) for outsider so that they can run program that exist in /application/xxx/. The account have their own home directory (/home/usera). But on the same time the user cannot run any application/command either than in /application/xxx/. User can only... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: golden_shooter
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

user with limited access

dear guys, sorry for asking a noob :p question, tried to search the forum for an answer but couldn't find one, i am running solaris 10 and i would like to create a user with limited access to view only one directory, the directory already exist, is this possible:confused:? thanks and regards (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: q8devilish
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how i can make one ip access to ftp account and deny others

HI I want to make only one IP can access to ftp acount in cpanel or by shell can any body help me ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: elkadrey
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Creating User account with limited permission

Hi All, I want to create an user account which can only excute "df -kh" and "prstat -a" command. The user will not be able to perform "rm" and other critical commands. Is there a way to do it? rgds, Ronny (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ronny_nch
2 Replies

7. Solaris

User with limited access to one directory

is there a way to create a user and limit him to read,write and execute only in one direcotry. the directory is already exsist and it belongs to dba group. i would like to make this user can't even cd to another directory or even if he can he cant do anything in the other directories. if... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: q8devilish
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to create user with access only to one folder through ftp?

Hi all, Can someone help me with creating user with special privilegies? I need to create user who will have access ONLY to one folder (like /etc/log/) through ftp (read only access) and which will not have any other ways to log in like telnet, ssh etc.? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nypreH
5 Replies

9. HP-UX

How to create a user in UNIX with some limited permissions?

As i know, Unix or Linux only manages 2 type of user: root user or normal user. All users with userID=0 will have all administration permissions like root user with the system. In my case, i want to create a new user in HP-UNIX environment with all root permissions only one exception that this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hieucn1404
5 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Create an user with limited permission on LUbuntu

Hello folks, I pretend install Lubuntu 16.04 LTS in pc for any employer use this pc! I think create an user with, only, permission to read and write, 770. This is the best scenario? I think create this user through terminal, because I pretend create a script, and I don't where wizard has... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: enodev
0 Replies
FTPUSERS(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual						       FTPUSERS(5)

NAME
ftpusers, ftpchroot -- ftpd(8) access control file DESCRIPTION
The ftpusers file provides user access control for ftpd(8) by defining which users may login. If the ftpusers file does not exist, all users are denied access. A ``'' is the escape character; it can be used to escape the meaning of the comment character, or if it is the last character on a line, extends a configuration directive across multiple lines. A ``#'' is the comment character, and all characters from it to the end of line are ignored (unless it is escaped with the escape character). The syntax of each line is: userglob[:groupglob][@host] [directive [class]] These elements are: userglob matched against the user name, using fnmatch(3) glob matching (e.g, 'f*'). groupglob matched against all the groups that the user is a member of, using fnmatch(3) glob matching (e.g, '*src'). host either a CIDR address (refer to inet_net_pton(3)) to match against the remote address (e.g, '1.2.3.4/24'), or an fnmatch(3) glob to match against the remote hostname (e.g, '*.NetBSD.org'). directive If ``allow'' or ``yes'' the user is allowed access. If ``deny'' or ``no'', or directive is not given, the user is denied access. class defines the class to use in ftpd.conf(5). If class is not given, it defaults to one of the following: chroot If there is a match in /etc/ftpchroot for the user. guest If the user name is ``anonymous'' or 'ftp'. real If neither of the above is true. No further comparisons are attempted after the first successful match. If no match is found, the user is granted access. This syntax is backward-compatible with the old syntax. If a user requests a guest login, the ftpd(8) server checks to see that both ``anonymous'' and ``ftp'' have access, so if you deny all users by default, you will need to add both ``anonymous allow'' and ``ftp allow'' to /etc/ftpusers in order to allow guest logins. /etc/ftpchroot The file /etc/ftpchroot is used to determine which users will have their session's root directory changed (using chroot(2)), either to the directory specified in the ftpd.conf(5) chroot directive (if set), or to the home directory of the user. If the file does not exist, the root directory change is not performed. The syntax is similar to ftpusers, except that the class argument is ignored. If there's a positive match, the session's root directory is changed. No further comparisons are attempted after the first successful match. This syntax is backward-compatible with the old syntax. FILES
/etc/ftpchroot List of normal users who should have their ftp session's root directory changed by using chroot(2). /etc/ftpusers This file. /usr/share/examples/ftpd/ftpusers A sample ftpusers file. SEE ALSO
fnmatch(3), inet_net_pton(3), ftpd.conf(5), ftpd(8) BSD
July 17, 2000 BSD