Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Remove content from file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove content from file Post 302087303 by mpang_ on Wednesday 30th of August 2006 11:29:47 PM
Old 08-31-2006
the problem is I can only modify the file, writing the entries to another file is not an option. Can anyone help?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove space from file content

i am a bit new to shell scripting i have a file containing xxxx xx xx but i want to output the content as xxxxxxxx. thus removing the space. any idea how i can do this (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackzinga
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove specific content in a file

Hi, I have a file called fl_list consists of files i have to archive. I want to create a exception parm called except_parm, so if it finds the directory it will not archive these files and remove from fl_list. $ cat fl_list /apps/dev/ihub/ready/IA003B/IA003B_Deal_Header_yyyymmdd_hhmmss.txt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: k9cheung
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with remove duplicate content and only keep the first content detail

Input data_10 SSA data_2 TYUE data_3 PEOCV data_6 SSAT data_21 SSA data_19 TYUEC data_14 TYUE data_15 SSA data_32 PEOCV . . Desired Output data_10 SSA data_2 TYUE data_3 PEOCV data_6 SSAT data_19 TYUEC (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to remove some content in a file

How can I remove all data that contain domain e.g zzgh@something.com, sdd@something.com.my and gg@something.my in one file? so that i only have data without the domain in the file. Here is the file structure "test.out" more test.out 1 zzztop@b.com 1 zzzulll 1 zzzullll@s.com.my ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr_47
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with remove duplicate content

Input file data_1 10 US data_1 2 US data_1 5 UK data_2 20 ENGLAND data_2 12 KOREA data_3 4 CHINA . . data_60 123 US data_60 23 UK data_60 45 US Desired output file data_1 10 US data_1 5 UK data_2 20 ENGLAND data_2 12 KOREA (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove the file content based on the Header of the file

Hi All, I want to remove the content based on the header information . Please find the example below. File1.txt Name|Last|First|Location|DepId|Depname|DepLoc naga|rr|tion|hyd|1|wer|opr Nava|ra|tin|gen|2|wera|opra I have to search for the DepId and remove the data from the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove some content from a verilog file

Hi, I have a verilog file which looks like module xyz (x, y, z, a, b, c); input x; input y; input z; output a; output b; output c; initial begin ... end always ... ... endmodule (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: matbrow
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove the duplicate content in a file

Here is the contents of test.txt Dependencies Resolved Changes in packages about to be updated: ChangeLog for: 1:perl-Archive-Extract-0.38-131.el6_4.x86_64, - Resolves: #915692 - CVE-2013-1667 (DoS in rehashing code) Dependencies Resolved Changes in packages about to be updated: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashokvpp
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to remove same content from other file

Hi/ Hello all Guru here, I am trying to create script to remove same content from other file, already tested few idea and found that in unix it is limited to sort and uniq. There is many script for removing duplicate content however to delete all same content is non. Need your help and guide .... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr_47
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove exisiting file content from a file and have to append new file content?

hi all, i had the below script x=`cat input.txt |wc -1` awk 'NR>1 && NR<'$x' ' input.txt > output.txt by using above script i am able to remove the head and tail part from the input file and able to append the output to the output.txt but if i run it for second time the output is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemanthsaikumar
2 Replies
SESSREG(1)                                                    General Commands Manual                                                   SESSREG(1)

NAME
sessreg - manage utmp/wtmp entries for non-init clients SYNOPSIS
sessreg [-w wtmp-file] [-u utmp-file] [-L lastlog-file] [-l line-name] [-h host-name] [-s slot-number] [-x Xservers-file] [-t ttys-file] [-a] [-d] user-name DESCRIPTION
Sessreg is a simple program for managing utmp/wtmp and lastlog entries for xdm sessions. System V has a better interface to utmp than BSD; it dynamically allocates entries in the file, instead of writing them at fixed positions indexed by position in /etc/ttys. To manage BSD-style utmp files, sessreg has two strategies. In conjunction with xdm, the -x option counts the number of lines in /etc/ttys and then adds to that the number of the line in the Xservers file which specifies the display. The display name must be specified as the "line-name" using the -l option. This sum is used as the "slot-number" in the utmp file that this entry will be written at. In the more general case, the -s option specifies the slot-number directly. If for some strange reason your system uses a file other than /etc/ttys to manage init, the -t option can direct sessreg to look elsewhere for a count of terminal sessions. Conversely, System V managers will not ever need to use these options (-x, -s and -t). To make the program easier to document and explain, sessreg accepts the BSD-specific flags in the System V environment and ignores them. BSD and Linux also have a host-name field in the utmp file which doesn't exist in System V. This option is also ignored by the System V version of sessreg. USAGE
In Xstartup, place a call like: sessreg -a -l $DISPLAY -x /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers $USER and in Xreset: sessreg -d -l $DISPLAY -x /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers $USER OPTIONS
-w wtmp-file This specifies an alternate wtmp file, instead of /var/log/wtmp. The special name "none" disables writing records to the wtmp file. -u utmp-file This specifies an alternate utmp file, instead of /var/run/utmp. The special name "none" disables writing records to the utmp file. -L lastlog-file This specifies an alternate lastlog file, instead of /var/log/lastlog, if the platform supports lastlog files. The special name "none" disables writing records to the lastlog file. -l line-name This describes the "line" name of the entry. For terminal sessions, this is the final pathname segment of the terminal device file- name (e.g. ttyd0). For X sessions, it should probably be the local display name given to the users session (e.g. :0). If none is specified, the terminal name will be determined with ttyname(3) and stripped of leading components. -h host-name This is set for BSD hosts to indicate that the session was initiated from a remote host. In typical xdm usage, this options is not used. -s slot-number Each potential session has a unique slot number in BSD systems, most are identified by the position of the line-name in the /etc/ttysfile. This option overrides the default position determined with ttyslot(3). This option is inappropriate for use with xdm, the -x option is more useful. -x Xservers-file As X sessions are one-per-display, and each display is entered in this file, this options sets the slot-number to be the number of lines in the ttys-file plus the index into this file that the line-name is found. -t ttys-file This specifies an alternate file which the -x option will use to count the number of terminal sessions on a host. -a This session should be added to utmp/wtmp. -d This session should be deleted from utmp/wtmp. One of -a/-d must be specified. SEE ALSO
xdm(1), utmpx(5) AUTHOR
Keith Packard, MIT X Consortium X Version 11 sessreg 1.0.7 SESSREG(1)