Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Vi single character change
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Vi single character change Post 302087236 by vgersh99 on Wednesday 30th of August 2006 01:23:26 PM
Old 08-30-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsravan
Vgresh,

Can you explain what does the numbers 1 2 3 siginfy here in the script.

Please help me to understand.
quoting 'man sed'
Code:
                  The characters \n, where  n  is  a
                  digit, will be replaced by the text matched by
                  the  corresponding  backreference  expression.
                  For each backslash (\) encountered in scanning
                  replacement from beginning to end, the follow-
                  ing  character  loses  its special meaning (if
                  any).  It is unspecified what special  meaning
                  is  given  to any character other than &, \ or
                  digits.

let me 'color-code' it:
Code:
 %s/\([^_][^_]*\)_\([^_][^_]*\)_\([^_][^_]*\)/\1+\2+\3/g

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

reading a single character in C

Can anyone help me????? My problem is that i want to read only one charcter from keyboard. Each time my program waits to press enter or ^d. I don't want that. As soon as i press a charcter it should proceed to next statement in program without pressing enter or ^d. please help... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alodha
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single character wildcard for SED

Could someone tell me the single character wildcard for SED? I have the file below: $ more input2 AAA /A/B/C BBB /D/E/F CCC /G/H/I DDD I want to remove all strings which contain forward slashs "/" to get the below: AAA BBB CCC I tried to do it in SED by the command below but I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trying to remove single character from a line

Here is a sample code grep '903' -i user.txt | tail -2 | awk '{print $2}' | sed 's/B//g' the input file has data as such 903-xxx-xxxxB 903-xxx-xxxxB It is a dialer file i want to remove the "B" any help thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Iz3k34l
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change case of single character in pattern

Using UNIX tools, but not using GAWK (NAWK is OK), is there a more elegant way to achieve this: sed ' s/_a/_A/1 s/_b/_B/1 s/_c/_C/1 rest of alpahabet ' I want to change the case of a single character in each string of a text file. The character will be matched by regex '_' and only... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: uiop44
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace multiple occurances of same character with a single character.

Hi all, Greetings, I have the following scenario, The contents of main file are like : Unix|||||forum|||||||||||||||is||||||the||best so||||||be|||||on||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||it And i need the output in the following form: Unix=forum=is=the=best so=be=on=it ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dipanchandra
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - setting fs to equal any single character

Hi Does anyone know how to set any character as the field separator with awk/nawk on a solaris 10 box. I have tried using /./ regex but this doesnt work either and im out of ideas. thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chronics
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backspace to delete a single character

Hi I normally use backspace to delete a single on my local machine in cygwin. Now I am trying cygwin on a virtual machine and when I type 'backspace', instead of a single character being deleted, the entire word gets deleted. How do I change the settings for it? I read somewhere that I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ladyAnne
2 Replies

8. Programming

Macro to put single quotes around character

Dear Mates, I am trying to write a macro to replace with its arguments with singles quotes around each argument. #define DECR(a,b,c,d,e) decr('a','b','c','d','e') if the usage is DECR(k,e,y,s,\0) I want it to be replaced with the following decr('k','e','y','s','\0') However it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamil.pamaran
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to match character with single quote?

I need to check whether first character of variable is single quote. I tried the below constructions but they are all not working (always return true) if (test `echo "$REGEXP" |cut -c1` != "'"); then echo "TRUE"; fi if (test `echo "$REGEXP" |cut -c1` != '\''); then echo "TRUE"; fi if (test... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to repeat a character in a field if it's a single character?

I have a csv dataset like this : C,rs18768 G,rs13785 GA,rs1065 G,rs1801279 T,rs9274407 A,rs730012 I'm thinking of use like awk, sed to covert the dataset to this format: (if it's two character, then keep the same) CC,rs18768 GG,rs13785 GA,rs1065 GG,rs1801279 TT,rs9274407... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nengcheng
7 Replies
set_color(1)							       fish							      set_color(1)

NAME
set_color - set_color - set the terminal color set_color - set the terminal color Synopsis set_color [-v --version] [-h --help] [-b --background COLOR] [COLOR] Description Change the foreground and/or background color of the terminal. COLOR is one of black, red, green, brown, yellow, blue, magenta, purple, cyan, white and normal. o -b, --background Set the background color o -c, --print-colors Prints a list of all valid color names o -h, --help Display help message and exit o -o, --bold Set bold or extra bright mode o -u, --underline Set underlined mode o -v, --version Display version and exit Calling set_color normal will set the terminal color to whatever is the default color of the terminal. Some terminals use the --bold escape sequence to switch to a brighter color set. On such terminals, set_color white will result in a grey font color, while set_color --bold white will result in a white font color. Not all terminal emulators support all these features. This is not a bug in set_color but a missing feature in the terminal emulator. set_color uses the terminfo database to look up how to change terminal colors on whatever terminal is in use. Some systems have old and incomplete terminfo databases, and may lack color information for terminals that support it. Download and install the latest version of ncurses and recompile fish against it in order to fix this issue. Version 1.23.1 Sun Jan 8 2012 set_color(1)