Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Problem with read & write
Top Forums Programming Problem with read & write Post 302087162 by Hitori on Wednesday 30th of August 2006 03:03:59 AM
Old 08-30-2006
If you are using sockets send() and recv() offer much greater control over your data transmission

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

read, write & STDOUT_FILENO....

hi guys, I'have a question 4 u. Why this code give me the right output (an integer on the stdout): read(fd,&mpid,sizeof(pid_t)); printf("%d\n",mpid); Instead this code give me only a blank line: read(fd,&mpid,sizeof(pid_t)); write(STDOUT_FILENO,&mpid,sizeof(pid_t)); ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: M3xican
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do i access (mount, read & write) a floppy disk from the console, not being root?

welll, the title quite explains what i want to do thanks for your time! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kfaday
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

File read & execute problem

Hi folks, Need your help. I am writing a KSH script to read a few commands from a file & execute. I am using the following code to read the file line by line & excute each command. When I am printing each line I see it is printing properly but while excuting, the particular "ps" command... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tipsy
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

user & group read/write access question

folks; I created a new users on my SUSE box and i need to give this user/group a read write access to one specific folder. here's the details: - I created new user "funny" under group "users". - I need to give this user "funny" a read/write access to another directory that is owned by "root".... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katkota
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

About read,write & execute permissons of a directory

Hi all, I want to know differences between read,write & execute permissons given to directory. Thanx in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishwasrao
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script to Read & Write on different directories

Hi, root@server] df -h 121G 14G 101G 12% /home 147G 126G 14G 91% /backup We having our site files and images are storing in /backup/home/user/files/ through symbolic link created in /home directory pointing in /backup directory as following. root@server] cd /home... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mirfan
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

PHP read large string & split in multidimensional arrays & assign fieldnames & write into MYSQL

Hi, I hope the title does not scare people to look into this thread but it describes roughly what I'm trying to do. I need a solution in PHP. I'm a programming beginner, so it might be that the approach to solve this, might be easier to solve with an other approach of someone else, so if you... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
0 Replies

8. IP Networking

read/write,write/write lock with smbclient fails

Hi, We have smb client running on two of the linux boxes and smb server on another linux system. During a backup operation which uses smb, read of a file was allowed while write to the same file was going on.Also simultaneous writes to the same file were allowed.Following are the settings in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swatidas11
1 Replies

9. Programming

help: problem with sockets write/read

I am trying to make a server and client, the client will choose between some options and the server will react accordingly. After a some reads and writes that work the server needs to read from client an INT i use this: read(newSd,&k,sizeof(int));But even if all the other times there was no... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: theSling
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

MAN and read & write function

How to use MAN to find information about read() and write() function ? The command "man read" show some rubbish, for example "man open" show great information about function I need. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbqtoss
2 Replies
pthread_rwlock_wrlock(3T)												 pthread_rwlock_wrlock(3T)

NAME
pthread_rwlock_wrlock(), pthread_rwlock_trywrlock() - lock or attempt to lock a read-write lock for writing SYNOPSIS
PARAMETERS
rwlock Pointer to the read-write lock to be locked for writing. DESCRIPTION
The function applies a write lock to the read-write lock object referenced by rwlock. The calling thread acquires the write lock if no other thread (reader or writer) holds the read-write lock rwlock. Otherwise, the thread blocks (that is, it does not return from the call) until it can acquire the lock. Results are undefined if the calling thread holds the read-write lock (whether a read or a write lock) at the time the call is made. The function applies a write lock as in the function with the exception that the function fails if any thread currently holds rwlock (for reading or writing). Results are undefined if any of these functions are called with an uninitialized read-write lock. If a signal is delivered to a thread waiting for a read-write lock, upon return from the signal handler, the thread shall resume waiting for the read-write lock as if it was not interrupted. RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, and return zero. Otherwise, an error number is returned to indicate the error (the variable is not set). ERRORS
If any of the following occur, the function returns the corresponding error number: [EBUSY] The read-write lock rwlock could not be acquired for writing because it was already locked for reading or writing. For each of the following conditions, if the condition is detected, the and functions return the corresponding error number: [EINVAL] The value specified by rwlock does not refer to an initialized read-write lock. [EDEADLK] The current thread already owns the read-write lock for reading or writing. AUTHOR
and were developed by X/Open. SEE ALSO
pthread_rwlock_init(3T), pthread_rwlock_destroy(3T), pthread_rwlock_tryrdlock(3T), pthread_rwlock_rdlock(3T), pthread_rwlock_unlock(3T). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
Pthread Library pthread_rwlock_wrlock(3T)