Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: syslog
Operating Systems Solaris syslog Post 302087125 by BOFH on Tuesday 29th of August 2006 08:05:00 PM
Old 08-29-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by csaunders
no, i dont have loghost defined in /etc/inet/hosts... I read that leaves you open to a DOS attack.... I thought if you didnt have a loghost definend, it would write to the local host....
What's in your /etc/inet/hosts file shouldn't affect inbound connections. If syslog is running then you're listening on udp 601. Do a netstat -a | grep syslog and you'll likely see a syslog udp service (or grep for 601). If you define loghost on one system as any other system that's running syslogd and nothing's blocking access, you'll log info to that server (also assuming the facility is setup to log the incoming logs of course).

And yea, as long as you're not sending info to another server, it should log locally.

Carl

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Which are the available entries to forward syslog in syslog.conf?

Hi Community Which are the available entries to forward syslog in syslog.conf i have put *.err;kern.debug;daemon.notice;mail.crit;user.alert;user.emerg;kern.notice;auth.notice;kern.warning @172.16.200.50 and it's not going through.giving error message like below: syslogd:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bentech4u
2 Replies

2. AIX

Cannot send syslog event from AIX 6.1 to RHEL Syslog server

Hi everyone, I am trying to configure AIX 6.1 using syslogd to send syslog event to syslog server configured on RHEL. However, RHEL never receives the events. I have tried to redirect the syslog event on AIX to a local file and successful. Only forwarding to remote server fails. Firewall... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: michael_hoang
10 Replies
Agent::Driver::Syslog(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				Agent::Driver::Syslog(3pm)

NAME
Log::Agent::Driver::Syslog - syslog logging driver for Log::Agent SYNOPSIS
use Log::Agent; require Log::Agent::Driver::Syslog; my $driver = Log::Agent::Driver::Syslog->make( -prefix => prefix, -facility => "user", -showpid => 1, -socktype => "unix", -logopt => "ndelay", ); logconfig(-driver => $driver); DESCRIPTION
The syslog logging driver delegates logxxx() operations to syslog() via the Sys::Syslog(3) interface. The creation routine make() takes the following switches: "-facility" => facility Tell syslog() which facility to use (e.g. "user", "auth", "daemon"). Unlike the Sys::Syslog(3) interface, the facility is set once and for all: every logging message will use the same facility. If you wish to log something to "auth" for instance, then do so via Sys::Syslog directly: there is no guarantee that the application will configure its Log::Agent to use syslog anyway! "-logopt" => syslog options Specifies logging options, under the form of a string containing zero or more of the words ndelay, cons or nowait. "-prefix" => prefix The prefix here is syslog's identification string. "-showpid" => flag Set to true to have the PID of the process logged. It is false by default. "-socktype" => (unix | inet) Specifies the logging socket type to use. The default behaviour is to use Sys:Syslog's default. CHANNELS
All the channels go to syslog(), of course. AUTHOR
Raphael Manfredi <Raphael_Manfredi@pobox.com> SEE ALSO
Log::Agent::Driver(3), Log::Agent::Channel::Syslog(3). perl v5.10.0 2002-03-09 Agent::Driver::Syslog(3pm)