Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: syslog
Operating Systems Solaris syslog Post 302087073 by csaunders on Tuesday 29th of August 2006 04:00:05 PM
Old 08-29-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by reborg
Yes, you can just put them in the same format as any of the other things that go directly to files.

Do you have a loghost defined in /etc/inet/hosts? If so does it have the same ip as the line with hostname? If you answered yes to both then it should be working.
no, i dont have loghost defined in /etc/inet/hosts... I read that leaves you open to a DOS attack.... I thought if you didnt have a loghost definend, it would write to the local host....

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Which are the available entries to forward syslog in syslog.conf?

Hi Community Which are the available entries to forward syslog in syslog.conf i have put *.err;kern.debug;daemon.notice;mail.crit;user.alert;user.emerg;kern.notice;auth.notice;kern.warning @172.16.200.50 and it's not going through.giving error message like below: syslogd:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bentech4u
2 Replies

2. AIX

Cannot send syslog event from AIX 6.1 to RHEL Syslog server

Hi everyone, I am trying to configure AIX 6.1 using syslogd to send syslog event to syslog server configured on RHEL. However, RHEL never receives the events. I have tried to redirect the syslog event on AIX to a local file and successful. Only forwarding to remote server fails. Firewall... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: michael_hoang
10 Replies
hosts(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							  hosts(4)

NAME
hosts - host name data base DESCRIPTION
The file associates Internet (IP) addresses with official host names and aliases. This allows a user to refer to a host by a symbolic name instead of an Internet address. This file contain all addresses for local interfaces that needs at boot time (see ifconfig(1M)). When using the name server (see named(1M)), or Network Information Service (see ypserv(1M)), this file often serves as a backup when the server is not running. In such circumstances, it is a common practice for to contain a few addresses of machines on the local network. should contain a single line for each host with the following information: internet_address official_host_name aliases The internet_address can be an IPv4 or IPv6 address specified in the conventional Internet dot notation. See inet(3N) or inet6(3N) for more information on Internet address manipulation routines. aliases are other names by which a host is known. They can substitute for the official_host_name in most commands. For example: In this example, users can use remote login on by using the command: instead of If your system is in a domain naming environment, an official host name consists of the full domain extended host name. For example: (space or tab character). Items are separated by any number or combination of space or tab characters (blanks). A character indicates the beginning of a comment. Characters from the to the end of the line are not interpreted by routines that search the file. Trailing blanks are allowed at the end of a line. For the Internet, this file is normally created from the official host database maintained at the Network Information Control Center (NIC), although local changes may be required to bring it up to date with respect to unofficial aliases and/or unknown hosts. Host names can contain any printable character other than a white space, newline, or comment character. EXAMPLES
See AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley. SEE ALSO
gethostent(3N), inet(3N), nsswitch.conf(4). hosts(4)