Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX BAD SUPER BLOCK - Run fsck with alternate super block number Post 302087044 by admin wanabee on Tuesday 29th of August 2006 01:27:57 PM
Old 08-29-2006
BAD SUPER BLOCK - Run fsck with alternate super block number

Error received when I tried to restore a blank disk with an 'auto recovery' DDS tape via HP-UX recovery system 2.0 onto a 1Gb SCSI. I assumed it would do the setup, wrong. Could someone tell me the procedure to initial disk for recovering files using cpio. The system is a HP-UX 9.04 version on a Motorola 68040, i.e. HP382 controller.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

incorrect super block FreeBSD

working with FreeBSD 4.5 trying to mount my floppy like i did in red hat like $mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy but i get the answer :incorrect super block i thought maybe it needs format: $fdformat /dev/rfd0.1440 still doesn't work and the man pages and the site of FreeBSD don't really help me :(... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: termiEEE
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bad magic number in super-block

I am running mandrake 8.2 and when booting I get the message: e2fschk: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/hda8. The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem. If the device is valid and really contains a valid an ext2 filesystem (and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jay
1 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Bad Super Block: Magic Number Wrong

I had a power outage a day ago and when the power came back on my FreeBSD 4.6 webserver had problems. It said it was unable to mount /var and made me start in single user mode and said to run fsck MANUALY. So i did and this is now what i get. www# fsck /dev/ad0s1e ** /dev/ad0s1e BAD SUPER... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: matthewbane
4 Replies

4. Solaris

solaris error BAD SUPER BLOCK

I want mount a disk. I have this error. I'm trying to correct with the superblock but i have the same error. Look my procedure. bash-2.03# fsck -F ufs /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s0 Alternate super block location: 9423392. ** /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s0 BAD SUPER BLOCK: MAGIC NUMBER WRONG USE AN ALTERNATE... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: simquest
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Failed To Read Super Block

Greetings: I am trying to re-install my system with the Solaris 9 CD. I typed boot cdrom from the OBP, the system restarted and started saying Failed To Read Super Block, and then proceeds to the screen where I was initially before I decided to re-install the OS. My system was working... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ogfunsho
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Failed To Read Super Block With Solaris 9

Greetings: I am trying to re-install my system with the Solaris 9 CD. I typed boot cdrom from the OBP, the system restarted and started saying Failed To Read Super Block, and then proceeds to the screen where I was initially before I decided to re-install the OS. My system was working... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ogfunsho
0 Replies

7. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Bad super block: Magic number wrong

Whenever i run, # fsck -F ufs /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s7 The following error prompt out:- ** /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s7 BAD SUPER BLOCK: MAGIC NUMBER WRONG USE AN ALTERNATE SUPER-BLOCK TO SUPPLY NEEDED INFORMATION; eg. fsck -o b=# where # is the alternate super block. SEE fsck_ufs(1M). ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: beginningDBA
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How can I run command with super user privledge

Hello All, I am working on UNIX like environment. This environment is ported from UNIX. Here when we need to build product set, we need to run some script with super user privledge (which we normal user dont have) Is there any way (some C program or some script) through which any normal... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joshi123
2 Replies

9. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Can't repair super block, bad magic number

Hello all, I have a hard drive that I can't repair. The drive is WD15EARS - Filesystem ext4 ( not 100% sure ) It's used in a Synology DS110j NAS. I try to run fsck -p /dev/sdb on the HD and I get this: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sdb /dev/sdb: The superblock... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dallasw1983
4 Replies

10. Solaris

File System Error: BAD SUPERBLOCK AT BLOCK 16: NUMBER OF DIRECTORIES OUT OF RANGE

Hi All, we are having a file system error in one of our servers. The server failed to boot in usual user mode. Instead boot with single user mode and requesting to run a FSCK manually to repair the corrupted. see the below output. Netra T2000, No Keyboard Copyright 2008 Sun Microsystems,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Buddhike G
5 Replies
atapi_ide(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual					      atapi_ide(7)

NAME
atapi_ide - Interface for ATAPI or IDE (PC) devices SYNOPSIS
PCI bus CMD/Acer ATAPI/IDE adapter: bus pci0 at * bus ata0 at * controller scsi0 at ata0 slot 0 controller scsi1 at ata0 slot 1 PCI bus Cypress ATAPI/IDE adapter: bus pci0 at * bus ata0 at * bus ata1 at * controller scsi0 at ata0 slot 0 controller scsi1 at ata1 slot 0 PCMCIA bus ATA/IDE disk card: bus pcmcia0 at * bus ata0 at pcmcia? controller scsi0 at ata0 DESCRIPTION
Devices commonly known for their use on PC devices as ATA or IDE devices are supported using the SCSI CAM device driver. The ATA standard has also been expanded to include what are known as ATAPI devices. The SCSI CAM device driver is also used for those disks and CD-ROM devices. These devices may also be known under the names EIDE, ATA-2, Fast-ATA, or Ultra-ATA. Beacuse the ATA/IDE standard was not developed until after many of the devices that used this standard were produced, there are many devices which do not strictly comply with the standard. While it is possible some industry standard devices may appear to work, it is also possible they will cause hang or data corruption cases when used under more stressful situations. For this reason, it is recommended that only the supported devices be used. These devices have been tested and are certified for correct operation. ATAPI/IDE controllers allow the connection of two devices. These two devices are known as the master device and the slave device. If only one device is connected, that device must be the master (slave-only configurations are not supported). When used by the SCSI CAM device driver, the IDE master device is assigned SCSI id 0 for that controller. The slave device is assigned SCSI id 1 for that controller. No other SCSI ids are assigned on that controller. Most ATAPI/IDE adapters contain two channels (known as the primary and secondary). Each of these channels may contain their own master and slave devices. Therefore, a dual channel ATAPI/IDE controller may contain up to 4 devices (a master and slave pair on each channel). These 4 devices are then accessed as SCSI id 0 and 1 on each channel. Many SCSI operations translate perfectly for use on IDE. For example, read and write operations are the same. However, many SCSI disk mode pages are emulated by the IDE device driver. For example, you can display the SCSI inquiry mode pages using the following command: % scu show inq pages pages are created by the device driver to contain the long (full IDE) form of the device name, serial number, revision, and the operational modes of the device. Only a shortened version of this information is available with the standard SCSI inquiry command. Note also that the following command: % scu show pages Shows that the SCSI mode pages contain only partial information. Only that informa- tion (such as geometry) that the drive reports to the system is able to be reformatted into these emulated SCSI mode pages. Much of the information (such as RPM) is simply not available from the drive, and therefore not accurately reported. ATAPI devices are much more closely related to SCSI devices, and as such contain their own mode pages. Therefore, for these devices, the mode page values reported are those from the device, and no emulation is involved. ATAPI tape devices are not supported at this time. FILES
/dev/disk/dsk??? /dev/disk/dsk??? RELATED INFORMATION
SCSI(7), rz(7), and disklabel(8) delim off atapi_ide(7)