Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Question on forks and pipes
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Question on forks and pipes Post 302086966 by nathan on Monday 28th of August 2006 11:44:49 PM
Old 08-29-2006
Blowtorch, try piping it to 'cat' or echo $(a.out).

I get the same results.
Code:
$ a.out
$ echo $(a.out)
0 1 0 1
$ a.out | cat
$

It stumped me for awhile, but I believe I know why this is happening. The fork() call is copying everything in memory to a child process, including the output buffer. Since the output buffer wasn't flushed before the fork, there was a '0' character in the buffer, and that was also copied. Try flushing the buffer before the fork(). It worked for me.

Code:
int main () { printf("0\n"); fflush(stdout);  fork(); printf("1\n"); exit(0);}

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Question about pipes in solaris (and others) and buffering....

This is weird, so I'm hoping someone here knows solaris and how it handles pipes... OK... here goes... Theres this log file, right? I want to tail -f it, grep that, gzip that, then pipe that into more commands. Well thats easy, right? tail -f file | grep pattern | gzip | otherstuff... ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sannik
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

forks....HELP!!! someone anyone?

Hey guys, I'm given this bit of code, but, I'm having some problems executing it with the functions I've defined so far. I'm suppose to define the funtions "parse" and "execute." Parse splits the command in buf into individual arguments. It strips whitespace, replacing those it finds with NULLS... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: richardspence2
3 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

PIPEs and Named PIPEs (FIFO) Buffer size

Hello! How I can increase or decrease predefined pipe buffer size? System FreeBSD 4.9 and RedHat Linux 9.0 Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jus
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cd using pipes

Hi, Can the cd command be invoked using pipes??? My actual question is slightly different. I am trying to run an executable from different folders and the path of these folders are obtained dynamically from the front end. Is there a way in which i can actually run the executable... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sinbad
2 Replies

5. Programming

forks, ipc, fifos, update issues...

Hi, so I've got this program("main") that fork executes another ("user"). These programs communicate through fifos. One communication is a spawn call, where user passes an executable, main forks and executes it. So, I'm keeping track of all my processes using a task table. After the fork (for... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Funktar
6 Replies

6. Programming

multiple forks and printf question

Hello *NIX gurus, I have a slight perplexing problem with multiple forks giving different results... Here is the deal. From what I undestand, a fork() call starts executing from the next instruction that follows the fork() call. That means it inherits the PC counter register value of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: navigator
4 Replies

7. Programming

read from file using forks

i'm tring to make 2 processes each read from the same file but only one of them read the file. FILE * fileptr1; fileptr1 = fopen("file1.txt","rt"); pid2=fork(); while(1) { fscanf(fileptr1,"%s",temp1); if(feof(fileptr1)==0) { printf("%i",getpid()); //id of current process ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ddx08
6 Replies

8. Programming

Question on pipes in C

If a code forks 2 childs, what can the values be for the process id's of each of the child? I child pid is supposed to be 0, but what if you fork 2 of them? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega666
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shells, forks, subprocesses... oh my

all, i've been reading to try and get an abstract idea of the process effeciency of commands , sed, bash, perl, awk, find, grep, etc which processes will spawn?, fork?, launch subshell?, etc and under what conditions? how do you know which commands have the faster and better stdio... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: f77hack
2 Replies
GIT-SHELL(1)                                                        Git Manual                                                        GIT-SHELL(1)

NAME
git-shell - Restricted login shell for Git-only SSH access SYNOPSIS
chsh -s $(command -v git-shell) <user> git clone <user>@localhost:/path/to/repo.git ssh <user>@localhost DESCRIPTION
This is a login shell for SSH accounts to provide restricted Git access. It permits execution only of server-side Git commands implementing the pull/push functionality, plus custom commands present in a subdirectory named git-shell-commands in the user's home directory. COMMANDS
git shell accepts the following commands after the -c option: git receive-pack <argument>, git upload-pack <argument>, git upload-archive <argument> Call the corresponding server-side command to support the client's git push, git fetch, or git archive --remote request. cvs server Imitate a CVS server. See git-cvsserver(1). If a ~/git-shell-commands directory is present, git shell will also handle other, custom commands by running "git-shell-commands/<command> <arguments>" from the user's home directory. INTERACTIVE USE
By default, the commands above can be executed only with the -c option; the shell is not interactive. If a ~/git-shell-commands directory is present, git shell can also be run interactively (with no arguments). If a help command is present in the git-shell-commands directory, it is run to provide the user with an overview of allowed actions. Then a "git> " prompt is presented at which one can enter any of the commands from the git-shell-commands directory, or exit to close the connection. Generally this mode is used as an administrative interface to allow users to list repositories they have access to, create, delete, or rename repositories, or change repository descriptions and permissions. If a no-interactive-login command exists, then it is run and the interactive shell is aborted. EXAMPLE
To disable interactive logins, displaying a greeting instead: $ chsh -s /usr/bin/git-shell $ mkdir $HOME/git-shell-commands $ cat >$HOME/git-shell-commands/no-interactive-login <<EOF #!/bin/sh printf '%s ' "Hi $USER! You've successfully authenticated, but I do not" printf '%s ' "provide interactive shell access." exit 128 EOF $ chmod +x $HOME/git-shell-commands/no-interactive-login To enable git-cvsserver access (which should generally have the no-interactive-login example above as a prerequisite, as creating the git-shell-commands directory allows interactive logins): $ cat >$HOME/git-shell-commands/cvs <<EOF if ! test $# = 1 && test "$1" = "server" then echo >&2 "git-cvsserver only handles "server"" exit 1 fi exec git cvsserver server EOF $ chmod +x $HOME/git-shell-commands/cvs SEE ALSO
ssh(1), git-daemon(1), contrib/git-shell-commands/README GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 2.17.1 10/05/2018 GIT-SHELL(1)