Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users iostat output what is that mean Post 302086841 by blowtorch on Monday 28th of August 2006 03:31:58 AM
Old 08-28-2006
Do you mean iostat -en? Anyway, this information is available to anyone who reads the man page:
Code:
 -e    Display device error  summary  statistics.  The  total
           errors, hard errors, soft errors, and transport errors
           are displayed.

-n: shows the device names in the descriptive format. (cxtxdx instead of sd0, so that we can actually see which disk has the errors).
-m: reports on filesystem mountpoints. I doubt if this will be much use with the '-e' switch.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

iostat -e / -E output explanation

Hi all, hope you are having a nice day, its nice and warm today in Canberra Australia. iostat -e / -E reports soft and hard errors. Any idea what these are exactly? All I hear are I/O's failing and needing to retry, but no cause as to why they fail. My SUN guru tells me its our EMC SAN... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scottman
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting output from iostat

So I use Cacti for monitoring IO statistics on my servers, now originally I couldnt monitor Multipath deviced servers as they have alot of /dev/sdxx and /dev/emcpowerxx, I have devised a method of trimming them down to just the actual devices but the issue is the output looks like so. # iostat... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RiSk
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding greatest value in a column using awk from iostat output in linux

Friends, . On linux i have to run iostat command and in each iteration have to print the greatest value in each column. e.g iostat -dt -kx 2 2 | awk ' !/sd/ &&!/%util/ && !/Time/ && !/Linux/ {print $12}' 4.38 0.00 0.00 0.00 What i would like to print is only the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: achak01
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding greatest value in a column using awk from iostat output in linux

Friends, Need some help. On linux i have to run iostat command and in each iteration have to print the greatest value in each column. e.g iostat -dt -kx 2 2 | awk ' !/sd/ &&!/%util/ && !/Time/ && !/Linux/ {print $12}' 4.38 0.00 0.00 0.00 WHhat i would like to... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: achak01
15 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

iostat output vs TPC output (array layer)

Hi Guys, I've been having some arguments with my colleagues about one thing. Always my thought was that as as far as disk performance is concern by looking at the output of the iostat command (AIX) you would be able to identify if you have a hot disk and then by moving some files out that disk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arizah
3 Replies

6. AIX

Help with iostat

Hello, I support Oracle 11g on AIX 7.1. Using the command $iostat -D hdisk2 hdisk4 hdisk5 5 I get the following output: hdisk5 xfer: %tm_act bps tps bread bwrtn 44.0 1.4M 178.2 1.4M 14.7K read: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: oracledba1024
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Unmatched ssd create huge unuseful iostat output

My scheduled collection of statistics is giving very large output because of an high number of ssd device not associated to any disk The iostat -x command is collecting statistics from them and the output is very large. I.g. if a run iostat -x|tail +3|awk '{print $1}'>f0.txt.$$ iostat... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sun-mik
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Asvc_t values in iostat output

Noticed that asvc_t values in iostat command outputs are mostly more than 100 in our previous iostat analysis. Also found the following detail from an alternate site IO Bottleneck - Disk performance issue - UnixArena ---- 1. asvc_t average service time of active transactions, in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saraperu
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to get the parsed output of "iostat" command

Hi, I have a requirement where parsed output from various linux commands like top, netstat, iostat, etc. will be the input for one javascript with the parsed output from these commands converted to JSON format For "iostat" command, since there are two outputs - one w.r.t CPU utilization and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gopivallabha
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to parse iostat command output

Hi, I got the code below is one of the threads from this forum. lineCount=$(iostat | wc -l) numDevices=$(expr $lineCount - 7); iostat $interval -x -t | awk -v awkCpuFile=$cpuFile -v awkDeviceFile=$deviceFile -v awkNumDevices=$numDevices ' BEGIN { print... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gopivallabha
2 Replies
EDAC-UTIL(1)						   EDAC error reporting utility 					      EDAC-UTIL(1)

NAME
edac-util - EDAC error reporting utility. SYNOPSIS
edac-util [OPTION]... DESCRIPTION
The edac-util program reads information from EDAC (Error Detection and Correction) drivers in the kernel, using files exported by these drivers in sysfs. With no options, edac-util will report any uncorrected error (UE) or corrected error (CE) information recorded by EDAC, along with any DIMM label information registered with EDAC. OPTIONS
-h, --help Display a summary of the command-line options. -q, --quiet Quiet mode. For some reports, edac-util will report corrected and uncorrected error counts for all MC, csrow, and channel combina- tions, even if the current count of errors is zero. The --quiet flag will suppress the display of any locations with zero errors, thus creating a more terse report. No output will be generated if there are zero total errors currently recorded by EDAC. Addition- ally, the use of --quiet will suppress all informational and debug messages, displaying only fatal errors. -v, --verbose Increase verbosity. Multiple -v's may be used. -s, --status Displays the current status of EDAC drivers. edac-util will report whether it detects that EDAC drivers are loaded, and the number of memory controllers (MCs) found in sysfs. In verbose mode, the MC id and name of each controller will also be printed. -r, --report=report,... Specify the report to generate. Currently, the available reports are default, simple, full, ue, and ce. These reports are detailed in the EDAC REPORTS section below. More than one report may be specified in a comma-separated list. EDAC REPORTS
default The default edac-util report is generated when the program is run without any options. If there are no errors logged by EDAC, this report will display "No errors to report." to stdout. Otherwise, error counts for each MC, csrow, channel combination with attrib- uted errors are displayed, along with corresponding DIMM labels, if these labels have been registered in sysfs. The default report will also display any errors that do not have any DIMM information. These errors occur when errors are reported in the memory controller overflow register, indicating that more than one error occurred during a given EDAC poll cycle. It is usu- ally obvious from which DIMM locations these errors were generated. simple The simple report reports total corrected and uncorrected errors for each MC detected on the system. It also displays a tally of total errors. With the --quiet option, only non-zero error counts are displayed. full The full report generates a line of output for every MC, csrow, channel combination found in EDAC sysfs. This includes counts of errors with no information ("noinfo" errors). Output is of the form: MC:(csrow|noinfo):(label|all):(UE|CE):count With the --quiet option, only non-zero error counts will be displayed. ue This report simply displays the total number of Uncorrected Errors (UEs) detected on the system. With the --quiet option, output will be suppressed unless there are 1 or more errors to report. ce This report simply displays the total number of Corrected Errors (CEs) detected on the system. With the --quiet option, output will be suppressed unless there are 1 or more errors to report. SEE ALSO
edac(3), edac-ctl(8) edac-utils-0.18-1 2011-11-09 EDAC-UTIL(1)