Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Solstice Disksuite Question
Operating Systems Solaris Solstice Disksuite Question Post 302086706 by UKPhil on Saturday 26th of August 2006 12:09:20 PM
Old 08-26-2006
Carl,

as long as a system has a majority of its total number of replicas available, it will boot. It doesn't matter where these are, how many are on any one particular disk, etc., but obviously you want to spread these evenly around to make the configuration as resilient to disk failure as possible.

All replicas on a system are the same, they are not associated with the specific volumes/mirrors or anything like that.

If you are going to replace disks, I would first delete the state database replicas from that disk (medadb -d /dev/dsk/cXtXdXsX) so that you don't end up with less than a majority available on boot.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solstice DiskSuite linear RAID Howto

Dear all i search a linear RAID Howto for the solaris os. Wiht the help of google and docs.sunc.com i found nothing... can you share your knowlage wiht me? thanx adme (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: adme
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sun solstice, admintool, smc

hi, i tried these sun command on a sun0s 5.7 but get the "cant open display" message. please advise. i am using netterm to telnet. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to remove Veritas Volume Manager 3.5 and install Solstice DiskSuite

I am brand new to UNIX and have been given the task to remove veritas volume manager 3.5 mirroring and install Disksuite mirror on two Solaris 5.8 servers. Does anyone know where I can find step by step instructions to perform these tasks? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mg2
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Solstice DiskSuite

Has anybody every used Solstice DiskSuite? I am having trouble setting it up. I installed it without a problem, but do I really have to blow away the drives on the D1000 just to create a metastate database? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hshapiro
8 Replies

5. Solaris

DiskSuite 4.2.1 Database creation question

I'm trying to figure out how to simply create a 500Gb ufs file system named /rec using DiskSuite 4.2.1 on a Solaris 8 platform via command line using two 250Gb partitions on two different disks. Does anyone know what the proper command string and options are to perform this task? Would I use the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ruger14
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Looking for Solstice DiskSuite 4.2

Hi all, Do you know where I can download Soltice Disksuite 4.2 for Solaris 2.6 ? I haven't the CD labeled “Solaris Server Intranet Extensions 1.0” . Thanks in advance for your precious help. Bests Regards Hosni (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hosni
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Solstice 6.0.3 - Recover: Cannot Start Session

Hi people, I have a Solstice Backup 6.0.3 installed in server X1 and one installed in server X2. I need to start de recover in X2 and the somes files existing in X1. - Well, i begin this process in X2 with #nwadmin -s X1 & and i select "Save Set/ Recover". I select the datas and click in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: denisgomes
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Solstice Disk Suite

I am doing disk mirroring and this command I entered: metainit d202 1 1 c0t1d0s0 gives me this error "metainit: d202: no such file or directory" The nmd value in /kernel/drv/md.conf is set to 2000. Any ideas what this error means? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluridge
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Disksuite question

Hello all, I have a Solaris Disksuite question :- I will be adding 4 new drives to an E250 server and need will be configuring 2 striped volumes each consisting 2 new disks with SVM. In the end i will have 2 volumes each of 72gb. So in effect i will have 1 volume called D7 and another volume... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: commandline
6 Replies

10. Solaris

Solstice disksuite - mirror sync direction

Hi I have an existing mirror configured (d10) with submirrors (d11 and d12). I recently detached the d12 mirror for an upgrade. I know want to re-attach the d12 mirror to sync with the active mirror (d11). When I run the command metattach d10 d12 - which way will the sync occur? Will the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samruthroy
1 Replies
mddb.cf(4)							   File Formats 							mddb.cf(4)

NAME
mddb.cf - metadevice state database replica locations SYNOPSIS
/etc/lvm/mddb.cf DESCRIPTION
The /etc/lvm/mddb.cf file is created when the metadb(1M) command is invoked. You should never directly edit this file. The file /etc/lvm/mddb.cf is used by the metainit(1M) command to find the locations of the metadevice state databases replicas. The metadb command creates the file and updates it each time it is run. Similar information is entered in the /kernel/drv/md.conf file. Each metadevice state database replica has a unique entry in the /etc/lvm/mddb.cf file. Each entry contains the driver and minor unit num- bers associated with the block physical device where a replica is stored. Each entry also contains the block number of the master block, which contains a list of all other blocks in the replica. Entries in the /etc/lvm/mddb.cf file are of the form: driver_name minor_t daddr_t checksum where driver_name and minor_t represent the device number of the physical device storing this replica. daddr_t is the disk block address. checksum is used to make certain the entry has not been corrupted. A pound sign (#) introduces a comment. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Sample File The following example shows a mddb.cf file. #metadevice database location file do not hand edit #driver minor_t daddr_t device id checksum sd 152 16 id1,sd@SSEAGATE_JDD288110MC9LH/a -2613 In the example above, the value for daddr_t indicates that the offset from the start of a given partition is 16 disk blocks from the start of that partition. FILES
/etc/lvm/mddb.cf /kernel/drv/md.conf SEE ALSO
mdmonitord(1M), metaclear(1M), metadb(1M), metadetach(1M), metahs(1M), metainit(1M), metaoffline(1M), metaonline(1M), metaparam(1M), metarecover(1M), metarename(1M), metareplace(1M), metaroot(1M), metassist(1M), metaset(1M), metastat(1M), metasync(1M), metattach(1M), md.cf(4), md.tab(4), attributes(5), md(7D) Solaris Volume Manager Administration Guide SunOS 5.10 8 Aug 2003 mddb.cf(4)