Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Creating create mirrored disk files systems using mkfs command Post 302086705 by UKPhil on Saturday 26th of August 2006 11:32:42 AM
Old 08-26-2006
you want to create a 20GB filesystem on the mirror device /dev/md/dsk/d40. Presumably you have created the mirror already using metainit/metattach commands? Are the underlying disk slices 20GB? If so, just use newfs /dev/md/dsk/d40. If the underlying device is larger than 20GB, you can create your 20GB volume using soft partitions.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Number of Disk Mirrored in HP-UX

In HP-UX 11.00 How can i check if there are disks mirrored (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgege
2 Replies

2. AIX

Mirrored disk.....

How do I know, which all disks are mirrored? any command? Bala (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: balaji_prk
7 Replies

3. Programming

Creating a Unique ID on distributed systems

Hi, How do you actually create a unique ID on a distributed system. I looked at gethostid but the man page says that its not guaranteed to be unique. Also using the IP address does not seem to be a feasible solution. Is there a function call or mechanism by which this is possible when even the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pic
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris 10 not booting with mirrored disk

Hi all, I have a V490 running with Solaris 10. The OS disk was mirrored. I wanted to break the mirror, boot with the secondary mirror, and re-mirror the OS with a new disk. This is what I did, detached the metadevices of the secondary mirror disk (disk 1) metaclear-ed the metadevices,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nitinp82
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Remove os mirrored disk Solaris 10

Hello once again seeking your help, I have a mirrored disk and need to unmirror it to mount it as a new file system (/export) but could not find the correct steps to do it with out affecting the original disk. can anybody point me out on how to get this done. Thanks!! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: AQG
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Creating an image of a mirrored disks

Hi guys, I havent done this before but iam trying to create an image of a mirrorred drive. Correct me if iam wrong, but when i have two disks setup in raid configuration and have them mirrored in solaris. It then defines at one entity. How would i create a "flar" image of that one entity... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tlee
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to create multiple-boot system with disks mirrored(RAID1+0) and disk alone

I have a HP proliant ML 570 G3 with two 146GB disk drives mirrored(RAID1+0) windows server 2003 was installed on that disk. I will add a disk.(scsi 300GB) I will install Linux on that additional disk. I want to create multiple-boot system. Is it possible? I wanna know how to create... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lifegeek
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Boot from Mirrored disk

So I have mirrored disk already set up from c1t0d0 to c1t1d0. Is there some special procedures that I need to do before I do and then try to boot from the mirrored disk? I am using a V490 if that helps... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew_1980
7 Replies

9. Solaris

Need help replacing a mirrored boot disk

I have a v480 with a mirrored boot disk c1t0 and c1t1. The drives themselves don't show a failure but the mirror's need maintenance. This is my plan for replacing the drive. I would love feedback to point out what I"m missing or where my steps are incorrect. Two things I believe I'm... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcoffey
3 Replies

10. Red Hat

Booting 2nd mirrored boot disk

Hi guys, thanks for helping out. If you have two boot disk mirrored and your primary boot disk fails, how will you boot the system from the second disk? Thank you very much for your assistance on this matter. Arrey (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjashu
5 Replies
MKFS.MINIX(8)						Linux System Administrator's Manual					     MKFS.MINIX(8)

NAME
mkfs.minix - make a Linux MINIX filesystem SYNOPSIS
mkfs.minix [-c|-l filename] [-n namelength] [-i inodecount] [-v] device [size-in-blocks] DESCRIPTION
mkfs.minix creates a Linux MINIX file-system on a device (usually a disk partition). The device is usually of the following form: /dev/hda[1-8] (IDE disk 1) /dev/hdb[1-8] (IDE disk 2) /dev/sda[1-8] (SCSI disk 1) /dev/sdb[1-8] (SCSI disk 2) The size-in-blocks parameter is the desired size of the file system, in blocks. It is present only for backwards compatibility. If omit- ted the size will be determined automatically. Only block counts strictly greater than 10 and strictly less than 65536 are allowed. OPTIONS
-c Check the device for bad blocks before creating the file system. If any are found, the count is printed. -n namelength Specify the maximum length of filenames. Currently, the only allowable values are 14 and 30. The default is 30. Note that kernels older than 0.99p7 only accept namelength 14. -i inodecount Specify the number of inodes for the filesystem. -l filename Read the bad blocks list from filename. The file has one bad block number per line. The count of bad blocks read is printed. -v Make a Minix version 2 filesystem. EXIT CODES
The exit code returned by mkfs.minix is one of the following: 0 No errors 8 Operational error 16 Usage or syntax error SEE ALSO
mkfs(8), fsck(8), reboot(8) AVAILABILITY
The mkfs.minix command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. Util-linux 2.6 2 July 1996 MKFS.MINIX(8)