Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux MySQL server connetction problem Post 302086639 by this213 on Friday 25th of August 2006 10:32:37 AM
Old 08-25-2006
Corona688, I think you're thinking of Postgres. MySQL usually installs by default listening on port 3306. This simply doesn't do anyone any good because, by default, the only users within MySQL are assigned to localhost.

lancepanda, you need to add a user for the IP you want to conenct from to MySQL. Log into the machine MySQL is running on, then:
Code:
If you haven't added any MySQL users yet:
$ mysql 
Otherwise:
$ mysql -uADMIN_USER -pMY_PASSWORD

mysql>GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON database.* TO your_username@'123.123.123.123' IDENTIFIED BY 'your_password' WITH GRANT OPTION;

mysql>exit;

Replace ADMIN_USER with the username of someone with authority to create new users, database with the database you want to connect to (or * for all), your_username and your_password with the proper values and 123.123.123.123 with your IP address. Be sure to leave the single quotes where they are as well as the semicolon at the end. Optionally, you may limit the privileges by replacing "ALL" with a comma delimited list of privileges (see the mysql manual for more information).

I'll also suggest you use The MySQL Control Center if you're not already. It's not version 1 yet, but beats The MySQL Administrator/Query Browser combo hands down - plus it makes user administration on your MySQL server very straightforward.

Also, as Corona688 said: The answers given here are used by other people in your same situation and you really should go back and edit your email address out of that post.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

MySQL problem >> missing mysql.sock

MySQL on my server is down.... I figured out that the mysqld process isn't running. When I try to run it, it says it can't find mysql.sock Any suggestions? Here's what I can't do: can't be root don't have physical access (do stuff via SSH) reinstall MySQL (need to keep the current MySQL... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: _hp_
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mysql problem

No help guys??? :( Hi guys, i've got a question here... my intention is to write a script that would access a mysql db and extract some info and paste it into a file... so the first move would be, to access the mysql interface right? hence... #! /usr/bin/ksh echo "Job Begin: " `date` ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 12yearold
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to connect MYSQL server from HP-UX

Hi everyone, I have an urgent requirement to get some table data from Linux-MYSQL server from HP-UX with oracle database.Is there any way we can get connected through Shell script from HP-UX and issue select on mysql to get some table data? Please help me out. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashik786
7 Replies

4. Web Development

MySQL Server Crashing need Help

Hi, we have some problem with mysql high cpu , would like some help with MySQL Tuning here are the mysqltuner & tuning-primer details mysqltuner: # mysqltuner >> MySQLTuner 1.1.1 - Major Hayden <major@mhtx.net> >> Run with '--help' for additional options and output filtering --------... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cataplexy
1 Replies

5. Linux

mysql server start issue

Hi, I have installed mysql in linux box as mysql-5.0.77-4.el5_6.6.. I would like to start the server. But there is no mysql file in this location /etc/init.d/ Please advice how to start the server now !! Thnaks, Mani (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mani_apr08
5 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

New centos dedicated server - cant get mysql working

Hi all, I installed centos 5, with LAMP. httpd is working fine, ssh, ftp all working ok. But, when I try to use mysql its not, when I give the command mysql I get ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lawstudent
4 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

MySQL optimization or why the server is worsened

Hello Please advise me how can I optimize my MySQL server. Or advise which way to look. Maybe someone had similar problems? Over the past two weeks the MySQL server dropped 2 times. I began searching for ways to optimize the server. Overall the picture like that: There is a separate... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sergibondarenko
2 Replies

8. UNIX and Linux Applications

Mysql for HP-UX server

Gd evening I am trying to run my website made in php-mysql on a HP-UX system but dont know how to install and run services of Mysql. Kindly provide appropriate solution. thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kumar.ashishcs
1 Replies
grass-mysql(1grass)						Grass User's Manual					       grass-mysql(1grass)

NAME
grass-mysql - MySQL driver MySQL driver MySQL driver in GRASS MySQL database driver in GRASS enables GRASS to store vector attributes in MySQL server. Because vector attribute tables are created automaticaly when a new vector is written and the name of the table is the same as the name of the vector it is good practice to create a new database for each GRASS mapset. Creating a MySQL database A new database is created within MySQL: mysql> CREATE DATABASE mydb; See the MySQL manual for details. Driver and database name GRASS modules require 2 parameters to connect to a database. Those parameters are 'driver' and 'database'. For MySQL driver the parameter 'driver' should be set to value 'mysql'. The parameter 'database' can be given in two formats: Database name - in case of connection from localhost String of comma separated list of kye=value options. Supported options are: dbname - database name host - host name or IP address port - server port number Examples of connection parameters: db.connect driver=mysql database=mytest db.connect driver=mysql database='dbname=mytest,host=test.grass.org' Data types GRASS supports almost all MySQL data types with following limitations: Binary columns (BINARY, VARBINARY, TINYBLOB, MEDIUMBLOB, BLOB, LONGBLOB) are not not supported. If a table with binary col- umn(s) is used in GRASS a warning is printed and only the supported columns are returned in query results. Columns of type SET and ENUM are represented as string (VARCHAR). Very large integers in columns of type BIGINT can be lost or corrupted because GRASS does not support 64 bin integeres on most platforms. GRASS does not currently distinguish types TIMESTAMP and DATETIME. Both types are in GRASS interpreted as TIMESTAMP. Indexes GRASS modules automaticaly create index on key column of vector attributes table. The index on key column is important for performance of modules which update the attribute table, for example v.to.db, v.distance and v.what.rast. Privileges Because MySQL does not support groups of users and because only MySQL 'root' can grant privileges to other users GRASS cannot automaticaly grant select privileges on created tables to group of users. If you want to give privilege to read data from your mapset to other users you have to ask your MySQL server administrator to grant select privilege to them on the MySQL database used for that mapset. For example, to allow everybody to read data in from your database 'mydb': shell> mysql --user=root mysql mysql> GRANT SELECT ON mydb.* TO ''@'%'; Schemas Because MySQL does not support database schemas the parameter 'schema' of module db.connect should never be set to any value. If you set that parameter for MySQL driver GRASS will try to write tables to the specified schema which will result in errors. Groups MySQL does not support user groups. Any settings specified by 'group' parameter of module db.connect are ignored by GRASS for MySQL driver. SEE ALSO
db.connect, SQL support in GRASS GIS Credits Development of the driver was sponsored by Faunalia (Italy) as part of a project for ATAC. AUTHOR
Radim Blazek Last changed: $Date: 2011-02-07 18:59:50 +0100 (Mon, 07 Feb 2011) $ Help Index GRASS 6.4.2 grass-mysql(1grass)