Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Solstice Disksuite Question
Operating Systems Solaris Solstice Disksuite Question Post 302086545 by BOFH on Thursday 24th of August 2006 08:47:22 PM
Old 08-24-2006
Solstice Disksuite Question

According to the metadb man page:

Quote:
Replicated databases have an inherent problem in determining
which database has valid and correct data. To solve this
problem, Volume Manager uses a majority consensus algorithm.
This algorithm requires that a majority of the database
replicas be available before any of them are declared valid.
This algorithm strongly encourages the presence of at least
three initial replicas, which you create. A consensus can
then be reached as long as at least two of the three repli-
cas are available. If there is only one replica and the sys-
tem crashes, it is possible that all metadevice configura-
tion data can be lost.
Now based on italicized part, if a mirror only has a single replica and never crashes, it should still function.

Same with booting. I thought three replicas were necessary for the system to be able to come up but the comment about crashing tells me that as long as the mirrors are stable (iow never crash), the system should come up.

The reason I ask this is that I've started a new position and discovered 8 disks in need of maintenance (metareplace), one disk out of sync (all partitions) and one disk with the status of Unknown.

In addition, I found several replicas that have failed (W - write errors and M - replica had problem with master blocks) and quite a few with less than 3 replicas on a disk (I prefer to configure a system with a mininum of 3 replicas per disk since disks are so large). At least one system had only a single replica database and 2 or 3 had two replica databases.

Per the comment in the man page, you need a majority (technically one is a majority) for the state information to be validated.

The problem is that systems are functioning correctly with one or two replicas and the one with a single replica was rebooted four days ago. Since it was booted, I have to believe that three replicas aren't required. In fact, as long as the replica db is stable, you can boot with a single replica (based on evidence).

So:

How does a system with only two replicas still manage to operate correctly? I can logically see how one will work (majority) but only two should fail.

Are my thoughts on a single replica and the system not crashing accurate? Or at least logical Smilie

My next steps appear to be to get the bad disks replaced (easy enough) but also to get the replicas in order. For the systems with 1 or 2 replicas, I think I'm going to have to break the mirrors and rebuild with what I think is the correct number of replicas (some of the disks have 5 replicas per disk).

Thoughts? Pointers to more technical information that what's on docs.sun.com?

Thanks.

Carl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solstice DiskSuite linear RAID Howto

Dear all i search a linear RAID Howto for the solaris os. Wiht the help of google and docs.sunc.com i found nothing... can you share your knowlage wiht me? thanx adme (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: adme
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sun solstice, admintool, smc

hi, i tried these sun command on a sun0s 5.7 but get the "cant open display" message. please advise. i am using netterm to telnet. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to remove Veritas Volume Manager 3.5 and install Solstice DiskSuite

I am brand new to UNIX and have been given the task to remove veritas volume manager 3.5 mirroring and install Disksuite mirror on two Solaris 5.8 servers. Does anyone know where I can find step by step instructions to perform these tasks? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mg2
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Solstice DiskSuite

Has anybody every used Solstice DiskSuite? I am having trouble setting it up. I installed it without a problem, but do I really have to blow away the drives on the D1000 just to create a metastate database? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hshapiro
8 Replies

5. Solaris

DiskSuite 4.2.1 Database creation question

I'm trying to figure out how to simply create a 500Gb ufs file system named /rec using DiskSuite 4.2.1 on a Solaris 8 platform via command line using two 250Gb partitions on two different disks. Does anyone know what the proper command string and options are to perform this task? Would I use the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ruger14
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Looking for Solstice DiskSuite 4.2

Hi all, Do you know where I can download Soltice Disksuite 4.2 for Solaris 2.6 ? I haven't the CD labeled “Solaris Server Intranet Extensions 1.0” . Thanks in advance for your precious help. Bests Regards Hosni (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hosni
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Solstice 6.0.3 - Recover: Cannot Start Session

Hi people, I have a Solstice Backup 6.0.3 installed in server X1 and one installed in server X2. I need to start de recover in X2 and the somes files existing in X1. - Well, i begin this process in X2 with #nwadmin -s X1 & and i select "Save Set/ Recover". I select the datas and click in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: denisgomes
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Solstice Disk Suite

I am doing disk mirroring and this command I entered: metainit d202 1 1 c0t1d0s0 gives me this error "metainit: d202: no such file or directory" The nmd value in /kernel/drv/md.conf is set to 2000. Any ideas what this error means? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluridge
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Disksuite question

Hello all, I have a Solaris Disksuite question :- I will be adding 4 new drives to an E250 server and need will be configuring 2 striped volumes each consisting 2 new disks with SVM. In the end i will have 2 volumes each of 72gb. So in effect i will have 1 volume called D7 and another volume... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: commandline
6 Replies

10. Solaris

Solstice disksuite - mirror sync direction

Hi I have an existing mirror configured (d10) with submirrors (d11 and d12). I recently detached the d12 mirror for an upgrade. I know want to re-attach the d12 mirror to sync with the active mirror (d11). When I run the command metattach d10 d12 - which way will the sync occur? Will the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samruthroy
1 Replies
mediator(7D)							      Devices							      mediator(7D)

NAME
mediator - support for HA configurations consisting of two strings of drives DESCRIPTION
Beginning with a prior version, Solaris Volume Manager provided support for high-availability (HA) configurations consisting of two hosts that share at least three strings of drives and that run software enabling exclusive access to the data on those drives from one host. (Note: Volume Manager, by itself, does not actually provide a high-availability environment. The diskset feature is an enabler for HA con- figurations.) Volume Manager provides support for a low-end HA solution consisting of two hosts that share only two strings of drives. The hosts in this type of configuration, referred to as mediators, run a special daemon, rpc.metamedd(1M). The mediator hosts take on additional responsibil- ities to ensure that data is available in the case of host or drive failures. In a mediator configuration, two hosts are physically connected to two strings of drives. This configuration can survive the failure of a single host or a single string of drives, without administrative intervention. If both a host and a string of drives fail (multiple fail- ures), the integrity of the data cannot be guaranteed. At this point, administrative intervention is required to make the data accessible. The following definitions pertain to a mediator configuration: diskset A set of drives containing metadevices and hot spares that can be shared exclusively (but not concurrently) by two hosts. Volume Manager state database A replicated database that stores metadevice configuration and state information. mediator host A host that runs the rpc.metamedd(1M) daemon and that has been added to a diskset. The mediator host participates in checking the state database and the mediator quorum. mediator quorum The condition achieved when the number of accessible mediator hosts is equal to half+1 the total number of configured mediator hosts. Because it is expected that there will be two mediator hosts, this number will normally be 2 ([(2/2) + 1] = 2.) replica A single copy of the Volume Manager metadevice state database. replica quorum The condition achieved when the number of accessible replicas is equal to half+1 the total number of configured replicas. For example, if a system is configured with ten replicas, the quorum is met when six are accessible ([(10/2) + 1 = 6]). A mediator host running the rpc.metamedd(1M) daemon keeps track of replica updates. As long as the following conditions are met, access to data occurs without any administrative intervention: o The replica quorum is not met. o Half of the replicas are still accessible. o The mediator quorum is met. The following conditions describe the operation of mediator hosts: 1. If the is met, access to the diskset is granted. At this point no mediator host is involved. 2. If the replica quorum is not met, half of the replicas are accessible, the mediator quorum is met, and the replica and mediator data match, access to the diskset is granted. The mediator host contributes the deciding vote. 3. If the replica quorum is not met, half of the replicas are accessible, the mediator quorum is not met, half of the mediator hosts is accessible, and the replica and mediator data match, the system prompts you to grant or deny access to the diskset. 4. If the replica quorum is not met, half of the replicas are accessible, the mediator quorum is met, and the replica and mediator data do not match, access to the diskset is read-only. You can delete replicas, release the diskset, and retake the diskset to gain read-write access to the data in the diskset. 5. In all other cases, the diskset access is read-only. You can delete replicas, release the diskset, and retake the diskset to gain read-write access to the data in the diskset. The metaset(1M) command administers disksets and mediator hosts. The following options to the metaset command pertain only to administering mediator hosts. -a -m mediator_host_list Adds mediator hosts to the named set. A mediator_host_list is the nodename of the mediator host to be added and up to 2 other aliases for the mediator host. The nodename and aliases for each mediator host are separated by commas. Up to 3 mediator hosts can be specified for the named diskset. -d -m mediator_host_list Deletes mediator hosts from the named diskset. Mediator hosts are deleted from the diskset by specifying the nodename of mediator host to delete. -q Displays an enumerated list of tags pertaining to ``tagged data'' that may be encountered during a take of the ownership of a diskset. -t [-f] -y Takes ownership of a diskset safely, unless -f is used, in which case the take is unconditional. If metaset finds that another host owns the set, this host will not be allowed to take ownership of the set. If the set is not owned by any other host, all the disks within the set will be owned by the host on which metaset was exe- cuted. The metadevice state database is read in and the shared metadevices contained in the set become accessi- ble. The -t option will take a diskset that has stale databases. When the databases are stale, metaset will exit with code 66, and a message will be printed. At that point, the only operations permitted are the addition and deletion of replicas. Once the addition or deletion of the replicas has been completed, the diskset should be released and retaken to gain full access to the data. If mediator hosts have been configured, some addi- tional exit codes are possible. If half of the replicas and half of the mediator hosts are operating properly, the take will exit with code 3. At this point, you can add or delete replicas, or use the -y option on a subse- quent take. If the take operation encounters ``tagged data,'' the take operation will exit with code 2. You can then run the metaset command with the -q option to see an enumerated list of tags. -t [-f] -u tagnumber Once a tag has been selected, a subsequent take with -u tagnumber can be executed to select the data associ- ated with the given tagnumber. SEE ALSO
metaset(1M), md(7D), rpc.metamedd(1M), rpc.metad(1M) Sun Cluster documentation, Solaris Volume Manager Administration Guide NOTES
Diskset administration, including the addition and deletion of hosts and drives, requires all hosts in the set to be accessible from the network. SunOS 5.11 20 Jun 2008 mediator(7D)