Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Change permission for directories and files Post 302086241 by mingfei2006 on Wednesday 23rd of August 2006 06:45:36 AM
Old 08-23-2006
Change permission for directories and files

Is there a way to change subdirectories permission plus the files in the subdirectories in a directory i specified without using the find command?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

change files permission on Remote machine

I would like to change permissions recursively on a remote folder. Seems like sftp has a limitation, I am only able to change permission on a individual file.. sftp > chmod 777 /usr/local/apache/docs/test.txt It would be great if someone has more knowledge on how this is doable recursively? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: almeisan1
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Batch Renaming: Change files' extensions in many sub-directories

Hi all - I'm trying to rename a large number of files all at once and need some help figuring out the command line syntax to do it. I've already done quite a bit of research with the rename and mv commands, but so far haven't found a solution that seems to work for me. So: The files exist... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dave920
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to change permissions only to files, not directories....?

Hi, I am really new to unix, any help is much appreciated. I need to change permissions of all files under several subdirectories to 700 but keep directories readable (755). Why ? Because I need a FTP user to only list his files and can't read them. But to browse to subfolder, the directories... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: narrok
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change permission for a set of files

Hi there, I want to change from this permission -r-xr-xr-x to -r-xr-xr-- for a set of files under unix. Can someone help me to go-about doing this in one shot. Cheers, RN (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthickrn
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying files to a different server without Permission level change..

Hi, I was trying to copy/transfer some new and old files from one server to another server. I found the permission of the files are different in both servers. I tried to tar all the files and then send to the other server, and then also the permission level is different after copying the files.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ronix007
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Do UNIX Permission apply to sub directories?

Hi Guys, Can you tell me if unix permissions apply to sub dirs? Dir is /home/ops/batch/files/all /home is rwxrwxrwx ops is rwxrwxrwx batch is rwxr-wr-w files is rwxrwxrwx all is rwxrwxrwx Having problems writing to all (does the userid nee to be the batch owner... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Grueben
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change chmod on files in diff directories

I am looking for a small script to crawl through several directories and change a couple of files in each directory to read write status. Anyone have any ideas ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zapper222
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to change Permissions on files and directories

Hey, It's me again. Have a problem, that's not really a problem. I have the below script, that goes to the directory I want it to go to. lists out the directories available, lets you choose the directory you want, then it changes the permissions on said directory. using chmod -R and chown -R. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gkelly1117
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Giving read write permission to user for specific directories and sub directories.

I have searched this quite a long time but couldn't find the right method for me to use. I need to assign read write permission to the user for specific directories and it's sub directories and files. I do not want to use ACL. This is for Solaris. Please help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blinkingdan
1 Replies
XMKMF(1)						      General Commands Manual							  XMKMF(1)

NAME
xmkmf - create a Makefile from an Imakefile SYNOPSIS
xmkmf [ -a ] [ topdir [ curdir ] ] DESCRIPTION
The xmkmf command is the normal way to create a Makefile from an Imakefile shipped with third-party software. When invoked with no arguments in a directory containing an Imakefile, the imake program is run with arguments appropriate for your system (configured into xmkmf when X was built) and generates a Makefile. When invoked with the -a option, xmkmf builds the Makefile in the current directory, and then automatically executes ``make Makefiles'' (in case there are subdirectories), ``make includes'', and ``make depend'' for you. This is the normal way to configure software that is out- side the X Consortium build tree. If working inside the X Consortium build tree (unlikely unless you are an X developer, and even then this option is never really used), the topdir argument should be specified as the relative pathname from the current directory to the top of the build tree. Optionally, curdir may be specified as a relative pathname from the top of the build tree to the current directory. It is necessary to supply curdir if the current directory has subdirectories, or the Makefile will not be able to build the subdirectories. If a topdir is given, xmkmf assumes nothing is installed on your system and looks for files in the build tree instead of using the installed versions. SEE ALSO
imake(1) XFree86 Version 4.7.0 XMKMF(1)