Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Uses for a Sun e250?
Operating Systems Linux Gentoo Uses for a Sun e250? Post 302086120 by kccrusher on Tuesday 22nd of August 2006 09:52:18 AM
Old 08-22-2006
Slow progress

Thanks for all the input, so far. I decided to load x86 on a couple of spare computers I had lying around. One is a barebones laptop (no battery even) that I can use as a terminal for the e250. The other is a PC at home just for testing. Because I am a linux loser, it took me at least 6 attempts before I got the OS to load on the one at home. Even then, I have an installation that boots to a command prompt and not a GUI. I am on my 3rd attempt at loading this on the laptop. Since I am more familiar with the x86 architecture, it seemed logical to start here rather than on the sparc box. This will give me a chance to refamiliarize myself with the commands and the overall installation steps. I will let you know how it goes.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Raid A1000 with E450 and E250.

Hi, I'm facing problem in connecting a Raid A1000 to E250 and E450. ( Both machines with Solaris 2.6 OS and patched, with different scsi-initiator-ids - 7 & 3 ). BTW, I'm not using this setup to access raid data from both machines simultaneously. There is Veritas Cluster Server monitoring... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shibz
1 Replies

2. UNIX Benchmarks

Sun E250 / 512MB Ram

============================================================== BYTE UNIX Benchmarks (Version 3.11) System -- SunOS xxxxx 5.8 Generic_108528-13 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-250 Start Benchmark Run: Sun Jan 11 19:47:12 EST 2004 1 interactive users. Dhrystone 2 without register variables ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kduffin
0 Replies

3. Solaris

SUN E250 Console connectivity

Hi, I have cisco console cable. One end of the cable is DB9 connector and the other end is RJ45 connector. I would like to use this cable to connect to my SUN E250 system from my pc so that I can access the SUn console directly. I would like to know whether it is possible and also on which... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RajaRC
5 Replies

4. Solaris

E250 - need to access it

Hi, We have an E250 which we need to access to install solaris 10 for a communigate trial. We only have the server itself, no cables or anything and im struggling to gain access. It has a RSC card, that i have learned, but a db25-db9 cable doesn't seem to bring anything up in telnet on... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: e250user
11 Replies

5. Solaris

SUN E250 Cluster

Hi, I need some help, since I am new to cluster. I am handling a site where I have look after two SUN E250 server. I have been asked to configure Active-Active Clustering on these servers. I would like to know how to configure both the servers for clustering. Below are the things which... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RajaRC
5 Replies

6. Solaris

Sun Solaris 9 E250 -- Suggestions For External Hard Drives

Hello, Running a Sun Solaris 9 E250 and need advice or suggestions on what type of external hard disks are compatible and or available. It's an old machine and is due for replacement soon but in the short term need an external hard drive for backup etc as the partner/backup machine has just... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KenLynch
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Error LED showing on E250

I've got an old E250 server where a front error LED is showing. I've read through the Sun docs (Sun Enterprise 250 Server Owner's Guide - Sun Microsystems) but it's only the 'General fault' LED (About the Status and Control Panel (Sun Enterprise 250 Server Owner's Guide) - Sun Microsystems)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aussieos
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Sun Solaris Enterprise E250 x64 Help

Hi everybody, my name is Giulia and for me is the fist time in this forum, i hope write in the correct section for my problem. I have a sun solaris server e250 enterprise with sun 5 versionof O.S. Now i wont format all and install new version of solaris, but i don't know the actual corrent... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: giulia79
7 Replies

9. Solaris

E250 server not getting ok prompt

E250 server only shows banner when powered on i am not getting OK PROMPT . .In morning it was booting with solaris 7 .i am not able to do STOP-A STOP-D .its not excepting STOP-N also. Please help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: monu94
1 Replies
LAPTOP_MODE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    LAPTOP_MODE(8)

NAME
/usr/sbin/laptop_mode - apply laptop mode settings SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/laptop_mode [ cmd ] [ force ] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the /usr/sbin/laptop_mode command. laptop_mode is a program that applies the settings given in the /etc/laptop-mode/laptop-mode.conf configuration file. The primary use is to control the laptop mode feature included in Linux kernels with versions 2.6.6 and higher, and 2.4.23 and higher. This feature increases battery life by letting your hard drive spin down. This is achieved by grouping disk write activity into "chunks" that are spaced at larger intervals than they normally would be. In addition to sup- porting the Linux kernel's laptop mode feature, /usr/sbin/laptop_mode also supports various power saving modules which are configured through configuration files in the /etc/laptop-mode/conf.d directory. It is not recommended to call /usr/sbin/laptop_mode directly to start or stop laptop mode, except in hardware event handlers. To apply new configuration settings from laptop-mode.conf, call the laptop-mode service init script with the reload parameter. COMMANDS
Specify force as the second parameter to force laptop_mode to re-apply a state even if the computer is already in that state. These are the values that are allowed for cmd : auto Enable or disable laptop mode based on the current power state. Note that this will not do anything if the laptop-mode service has not been started! status Display a status report about everything that laptop_mode affects. SEE ALSO
laptop-mode.conf(8). AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Bart Samwel (bart@samwel.tk) for the Debian system (but may be used by others). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 2 any later version published by the Free Software Foundation. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL. LAPTOP_MODE(8)