Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: A script for shutdown
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers A script for shutdown Post 302085978 by Corona688 on Monday 21st of August 2006 01:18:19 PM
Old 08-21-2006
The script will be something like:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

exec /sbin/poweroff

i.e. whatever way you shut down the server as root.

Call it turnoff.sh and put it in /sbin/ . Then make sure it's owned by the user root and the group wheel(or whatever other group you want that's a group of people you want to be able to turn off the machine).
Code:
# cp turnoff.sh /sbin/turnoff.sh
# chown root:wheel /sbin/turnoff.sh

Now give it these permissions:
Code:
# chmod 550 /sbin/turnoff.sh
# chmod u+s /sbin/turnoff.sh

As in, only it's owner and it's group can read or execute it, and it has the setuid bit.

That way, people who run the file will run it with root permissions. Yes, it has to be carefully controlled. Setuid is considered dangerous.

Technically, you could do the exact same things to the file itself, but I think it's better to make it a script that won't be replaced every time you upgrade these things.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

logout/shutdown script

I am running JDictd (http://www.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/~duc/Java/JDictd/) from tcsh in Terminal on Mac OS X (:=Darwin=FreeBSD/Mach). I am trying to get it to exit cleanly silently upon Mac OS X system shutdown. My idea was that if there was a logout script in FreeBSD (basically a script... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ropers
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shutdown script

Hi Guys, I want to execute few of my bash script, so that whenever someone calls shutdown now -r command, I want my script to execute first before shutting down. Any help please????? I've just started playing with the unix system, so far its been brilliant.... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: alpha_manic
10 Replies

3. HP-UX

Shutdown script

Hi, I am on Alpha Server with HP Tru64 system. I wish to setup shutdown to automatically and cleanly shutdown informix during the shutting down of the system. Ie. I was trying to use rc0.d to do this but failed. Has anyone tried doing this before? I already have the script and linked it to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingsto88
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script sh for shutdown

Hi, i need shutdown a pc, is in the same network what command i can use in the script :o ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dymblos
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to force Oracle database shutdown when shutdown immediate does not work

I have Oracle 9i R2 on AIX 5.2. My Database is running in shared server mode (MTS). Sometimes when I shutdown the database it shutsdown cleanly in 4-5 mints and sometimes it takes good 15-20 minutes and then I get some ora-600 errors and only way to shutdown is by opening another session and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixhp
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shutdown Script

Im writing a script to read a file called shutdown.cf and shut down any scripts that are listed there. I have came up with the following based on things I saw in similar programs but it doesn not work: Has anybody any idea what I may be doing wrong? Cheers Paul (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: runnerpaul
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

db shutdown script

I am going to create shutdown database script. We have dabase shutdown script. But i need take dabase which online and make it down. I got user id which needs to dabase to down ID=`ps -ef | grep -i pmon | grep -v grep | awk '{print $1}'` ( got orace side DB=`ps -ef | grep -i pmon |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: allwin
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Startup and shutdown script

Hi all, I'm writing a script to stop & start oracle: su - oracle -c "sqlplus / as sysdba" -c "shutdown immediate">> ${log} 2>&1 The {log} refers to the log file. The part in bold gives error: /usr/sbin/shutdown: Only root can run /usr/sbin/shutdown Pls suggest how to correct this. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: frum
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to shutdown XP clients

My staff seem to have a habit of leaving thier PCs on over night so I need to write a short script to shutdown any XP clients logged into the local samba domain that I can run as a cron job at a set time. I can list the connected clients and their IP addresses with: $ smbstatus -b Samba... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: barrydocks
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Interactive Shutdown script

Hello folks. I will start out by saying as far as unix/linux scripting goes I know less about it than i do about giving birth (I'm a guy hehe). I am looking to make a shutdown script that will either shut down the system or reboot it using one of the shutdown run methods IE init 2 - 5 or a base... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: azurie
1 Replies
install(1M)						  System Administration Commands					       install(1M)

NAME
install - install commands SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/install -c dira [-m mode] [-u user] [-g group] [-o] [-s] file /usr/sbin/install -f dirb [-m mode] [-u user] [-g group] [-o] [-s] file /usr/sbin/install -n dirc [-m mode] [-u user] [-g group] [-o] [-s] file /usr/sbin/install -d | -i [-m mode] [-u user] [-g group] [-o] [-s] dirx... /usr/sbin/install [-m mode] [-u user] [-g group] [-o] [-s] file [dirx]... DESCRIPTION
install is most commonly used in ``makefiles'' (see make(1S)) to install a file in specific locations, or to create directories within a file system. Each file is installed by copying it into the appropriate directory. install uses no special privileges to copy files from one place to another. The implications of this are: o You must have permission to read the files to be installed. o You must have permission to copy into the destination directory. o You must have permission to change the modes on the final copy of the file if you want to use the -m option. o You must be super-user if you want to specify the ownership of the installed file with the -u or -g options. If you are not the super-user, the installed file is owned by you, regardless of who owns the original. Note that if the ROOT environment variable is set, each of the default directory paths are prefixed by its value (for example, $ROOT/bin and so on). install prints messages telling the user exactly what files it is replacing or creating and where they are going. If no options or directories (dirx ...) are given, install searches a set of default directories ( /bin, /usr/bin, /etc, /lib, and /usr/lib, in that order) for a file with the same name as file. When the first occurrence is found, install issues a message saying that it is overwriting that file with file, and proceeds to do so. If the file is not found, the program states this and exits. If one or more directories (dirx ...) are specified after file, those directories are searched before the default directories. This version of install (/usr/sbin/install) is not compatible with the install binaries in many versions of Unix other than Solaris. For a higher degree of compatibility with other Unix versions, use /usr/ucb/install, which is described in the install(1B) man page. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -c dira Install file in the directory specified by dira, if file does not yet exist. If it is found, install issues a message saying that the file already exists, and exits without overwriting it. -f dirb Force file to be installed in given directory, even if the file already exists. If the file being installed does not already exist, the mode and owner of the new file is set to 755 and bin , respectively. If the file already exists, the mode and owner is that of the already existing file. -n dirc If file is not found in any of the searched directories, it is put in the directory specified in dirc. The mode and owner of the new file is set to 755 and bin, respectively. -d Create a directory. Missing parent directories are created as required as in mkdir -p. If the directory already exists, the owner, group and mode is set to the values given on the command line. -i Ignore default directory list, searching only through the given directories (dirx ...). -m mode The mode of the new file is set to mode. Set to 0755 by default. -u user The owner of the new file is set to user. Only available to the super-user. Set to bin by default. -g group The group id of the new file is set to group. Only available to the super-user. Set to bin by default. -o If file is found, save the ``found'' file by copying it to OLDfile in the directory in which it was found. This option is use- ful when installing a frequently used file such as /bin/sh or /lib/saf/ttymon, where the existing file cannot be removed. -s Suppress printing of messages other than error messages. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of install when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
chgrp(1), chmod(1), chown(1), cp(1), install(1B), make(1S), mkdir(1), attributes(5), largefile(5) SunOS 5.11 3 Nov 2005 install(1M)