Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Please Help. Strings in file 1 need to be searched and removed from file 2 Post 302085644 by mjs3221 on Friday 18th of August 2006 01:41:37 PM
Old 08-18-2006
Please Help. Strings in file 1 need to be searched and removed from file 2

Please help. Here is my problem. I have 9000 lines in file a and 500,000 lines in file b. For each line in file a I need to search file b and remove that line. I am currently using the grep -v command and loading the output into a new file. However, because of the size of file b this takes an extremely long time to do and I have 50 files similiar to file b. Is there a simpler way to accomplish this. Here is a code snippet of what I have so far.

cat $1 | while read LINE
do
echo $LINE

grep -v $LINE fileName > OutputFile

cp OutputFile fineName

done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using grep - check the permissions of the file searched

What I need to do is: I need to use the grep command to search for pattern in directory and sub-directories. And also I need to show the permission of file been seached by the grep command. Could any one please suggest me? ----------------- $> cat file1.txt A -----------------... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Johny001
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting file content into a searched pattern

Hi, i have to insert the content of source.txt into the searched pattern of the file second.txt. $cat source.txt One Two Three . . $cat second.txt This is second file pattern match start here pattern match end here end of the file so the result will be like this (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: posix
4 Replies

3. Linux

file removed

Hi Team, I have deleted a file accidentally by using rm command. I am not the root(admin) user. Can you please let me know how to get that .tex file? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: darling
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract two strings from a file and create a new file with these strings

I have the following lines in a log file. It would be great if some one can help me to create a new file with the just entries in the below format. 66.150.161.195 HPSAC=Z05 66.150.161.196 HPSAC=A05 That is just extract the IP address and the string DPSAC=its value 66.150.161.195 -... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tuxidow
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match list of strings in File A and compare with File B, C and write to a output file in CSV format

Hi Friends, I'm a great fan of this forum... it has helped me tone my skills in shell scripting. I have a challenge here, which I'm sure you guys would help me in achieving... File A has a list of job ids and I need to compare this with the File B (*.log) and File C (extend *.log) and copy... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: asnandhakumar
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Use strings from nth field from one file to match strings in entire line in another file, awk

I cannot seem to get what should be a simple awk one-liner to work correctly and cannot figure out why. I would like to use patterns from a specific field in one file as regex to search for matching strings in the entire line ($0) of another file. I would like to output the lines of File2 which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jvoot
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut line from searched file if grep find neighbor columns

Hello All, While searching for the question, I found some answers but my implementation is not giving expected output. I have two files; one is sourcefile, other is named template. What I want to do is to search each line in template, when found all columns, cut the matching line from source... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

(g)awk: Matching strings from one file in another file between two strings

Hello all, I can get close to what I am looking for but cannot seem to hit it exactly and was wondering if I could get your help. I have the following sample from textfile with many thousands of lines: File 1 PS001,001 HLK PS002,004 L<G PS004,002 XNN PS004,006 BVX PS004,006 ZBX=... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Insert text after the first occurance of searched string entry in a file

My server xml file has huge data part of which i'm sharing below. I wish to add the below text held by variable "addthisline" after the closing braces i.e --> once the first </Connector> tag is found. addthisline="I need to be inserted after the comments" Thus my searchstring is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

File Management: Removing of files from Server2 IF the same file is removed from Server1.

Hi Folks, I have a requirement of file management on different servers. Source Server is SERVER-A. Two servers will fetch files from SERVER-A: SERVER1 and SERVER2. 4th SERVER is SERVER-B, It will fetch files from SERVER1. If SERVER1 goes DOWN, SERVER-B will fetch pending files from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raza Ali
2 Replies
SOELIM(1)						      General Commands Manual							 SOELIM(1)

NAME
soelim - interpret .so requests in groff input SYNOPSIS
soelim [ -Cv ] [ -Idir ] [ files... ] It is possible to have whitespace between the -I command line option and its parameter. DESCRIPTION
soelim reads files and replaces lines of the form .so file by the contents of file. It is useful if files included with so need to be preprocessed. Normally, soelim should be invoked with the -s option of groff. Note that there must be no whitespace between the leading dot and the two characters `s' and `o'. Otherwise, only groff interprets the .so request (and soelim ignores it). OPTIONS
-C Recognize .so even when followed by a character other than space or newline. -Idir This option may be used to specify a directory to search for files (both those on the command line and those named in .so lines). The current directory is always searched first. This option may be specified more than once, the directories will be searched in the order specified. No directory search is performed for files specified using an absolute path. -v Print the version number. SEE ALSO
groff(1) Groff Version 1.18.1 27 June 2001 SOELIM(1)