Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Prallel function with different shell ids Post 302085573 by aigles on Friday 18th of August 2006 08:40:14 AM
Old 08-18-2006
Seems that the shell does'nt update the value of $$
The following code x.sh :
Code:
func1()
{
  (
     ps -f
     echo $$
  )
}
func1
func1

gives the ouput :
Code:
     UID   PID  PPID   C    STIME    TTY  TIME CMD
  gssjgu 27864 30168   1 14:30:55  pts/3  0:00 ps -f 
  gssjgu 30168 32486   0 14:30:55  pts/3  0:00 sh x.sh 
  gssjgu 32486 34188   1 14:30:55  pts/3  0:00 sh x.sh 
  gssjgu 34188 27930   0   Aug 09  pts/3  0:01 -ksh 
     UID   PID  PPID   C    STIME    TTY  TIME CMD
  gssjgu 27866 30170   1 14:30:55  pts/3  0:00 ps -f 
  gssjgu 30170 32486   0 14:30:55  pts/3  0:00 sh x.sh 
  gssjgu 32486 34188   1 14:30:55  pts/3  0:00 sh x.sh 
  gssjgu 34188 27930   0   Aug 09  pts/3  0:01 -ksh 

The pid displayed is the same 32486 but the echo command is executed in two different subshells of which the pid is displayed as the parent pid of the ps command.

Jean-Pierre.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting the value of a c function in shell script

Let say there is a module fileselection module written in c language which returns the file name. Is it possible to get the file name from the file selection module directly, I mean can we call a c function directly in shell script without doing executable. If possible then how it can be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: surjyap
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to see function in shell

Hi, is there any way we can see user defined functions in a shell? thanks in advance, -Ashish (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shriashishpatil
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell function help

SUN os KSH ERROR_CHK () { ERR_DATA="$ABC" if `echo "$ABC" | egrep 'PLS|ERROR|ORA'` ; then echo "Failed: Can't execute procedure ${PRG_NAME} ERROR found " return 1 else echo "Info : ${PRG_NAME} done" fi } my function fails iwth below message "ERROR: not found" I think i... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amresh Dubey
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SHELL SCRIPT Function Calling Another Function Please Help...

This is my function which is creating three variables based on counter & writing these variable to database by calling another function writeRecord but only one record is getting wrote in DB.... Please advise ASAP...:confused: function InsertFtg { FTGSTR="" echo "Saurabh is GREAT $#" let... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: omkar.sonawane
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Function in Shell script

Legends, Can you please debug, what's wrong with the below code. I am gettng unexpected token error RebuldPF() ( #Changing the directory to data directory where the pf exists. cd /home/sandeep/files #Listing the names of the Pricefiles for rebuilding echo "The following pricefiles will... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdosanjh
6 Replies

6. Red Hat

how to call a particular function from one shell another shell script

please help me in this script shell script :1 *********** >cat file1.sh #!/bin/bash echo "this is first file" function var() { a=10 b=11 } function var_1() { c=12 d=13 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ponmuthu
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Email ids trucated in Mailx function

I wanted to send email to list of people using mailx in unix. I am getting the emailds from a oracle table and getting the ids in a variable. Shell script is shown below: ----------------------------------------------------------------------- filename=testdata921 export filename... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasi02
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script for generating NTIDs(Usernames) from the email ids which exists in MSAD Directory

Hi Everyone, I just need a shell script which automatically gives the list of NT IDs mean the Usernames from the list of email ids. We have around 140 users from AMERICAS,ASIAPACIFIC and EMEA User Directories and we have their email ids.For ex. i have email id called naveen-kumar.dasu@hp.com... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveen.dasu
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting shell to Perl I run into shell built in function trap and need alternative in Perl

I am working on converting shell to Perl script. In shell we have built in function trap Do you know alternative in Perl or actually we don't need it? Thanks for contribution (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

List of all ids,groups, privilege ids

I wish to pull out a list of all user ids on the system, including the privileged ids, the groups to which they belong to. Sometimes after deleting an id also, its home dir does not get deleted or an entry is left behind in /etc/passwd. Can someone help me with a script to achieve both. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggayathri
2 Replies
GRUB-RENDER-LABEL(1)                                               User Commands                                              GRUB-RENDER-LABEL(1)

NAME
grub-render-label - generate a .disk_label for Apple Macs. SYNOPSIS
grub-render-label [OPTION...] [OPTIONS] DESCRIPTION
Render Apple .disk_label. -b, --bgcolor=COLOR use COLOR for background -c, --color=COLOR use COLOR for text -f, --font=FILE use FILE as font (PF2). -i, --input=FILE read text from FILE. -o, --output=FILE set output filename. Default is STDOUT -t, --text=STRING set the label to render -v, --verbose print verbose messages. -?, --help give this help list --usage give a short usage message -V, --version print program version Mandatory or optional arguments to long options are also mandatory or optional for any corresponding short options. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-grub@gnu.org>. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for grub-render-label is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and grub-render-label programs are properly installed at your site, the command info grub-render-label should give you access to the complete manual. grub-render-label (GRUB) 2.02-2ubuntu8.3 July 2018 GRUB-RENDER-LABEL(1)