Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Setuid Program with (-rwsr-sr-x 1 root other ) UID/EUID issue Post 302085531 by blowtorch on Friday 18th of August 2006 12:38:04 AM
Old 08-18-2006
OK, what system are you using? Quite a few systems do not honour the setuid bit on the shell script, as they (setuid scripts) are considered a security hazard.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setuid root and chown

I am trying to run chown and chmod from a script owned by root. The permissions are set to 4755 so that users can execute the script as root. However, when I run the script as a user other than root, I get "Operation not permitted" for both chown and chmod. Any ideas as to why this is? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnmsucpe
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To:blowtorch - Setuid uid/euid issue

Hi, Its a shell script. rws by root, r_s by group named "other" and r_x by all others. How can i set the uid from inside a setuid program. please let me know. Also I dont have a c compiler on the system. Thanks Reply With Quote (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: 0ktalmagik
0 Replies

3. Solaris

EUID set for all non-root users

We have a Solaris box. I noticed that whenever any non-root user logins into the box and issues the command id the output is (for example) uid=42568(sam) gid=1245(sam) euid=0(root) egid=2(bin). I have not given any privileges to anyone explicitly. When I issued ls -l in the /usr/bin directory I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chrisanto_2000
1 Replies

4. AIX

sudo must be setuid root.

Guy's I'm trying to add some lines in sudo by useing this command visudo # User privilege specification root ALL=(ALL) ALL # Uncomment to allow people in group wheel to run all commands # %wheel ALL=(ALL) ALL # Same thing without a password # %wheel ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL #... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ITHelper
5 Replies

5. Solaris

rbac and execution attributes (uid and euid)

Hi all, I have a question to see if I understand the euid and uid attributes correctly for rbac (/etc/security/exec_attr): All: * Audit Control: /etc/init.d/audit euid=0, egid=3 /etc/security/bsmconv uid=0 /etc/security/bsmunconv uid=0 /usr/sbin/audit euid=0 /usr/sbin/auditconfig... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: deadeyes
6 Replies

6. Solaris

New root account with Different UID number

Hi Unix Gurus . I have requirement where in which - I would like create duplicate root equivalent account with all the privileges equal to root. Is it possible to create this duplicate account with different UID. ? this id i would like give it to my teams - who does multiple activities using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnavery50
2 Replies

7. AIX

Equivalent uid to root

Hi all I have a strange problem on one my my AIX machines. We have created a user called testroot with the same UID as root (uid=0) by changing the uid of that user in the /etc/passwd file. I know that this is a security breach but this is a test system. Now the strange thing that happens is that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abohmeed
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find users with root UID or GID or root home

I need to list users in /etc/passwd with root's GID or UID or /root as home directory If we have these entries in /etc/passwd root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash rootgooduser1:x:100:100::/home/gooduser1:/bin/bash baduser1:x:0:300::/home/baduser1:/bin/bash... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil510
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can you gain root privileges if the suid program does not belong to root?

I had a question in my test which asked where suppose user B has a program with 's' bit set. Can user A run this program and gain root privileges in any way? I suppose not as the suid program run with privileges of owner and this program will run with B's privileges and not root. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: syncmaster
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

What keeps me from abusing setuid(0) and programs with setuid bit set?

Just learning about the privilege escalation method provided by setuid. Correct me if I am wrong but what it does is change the uid of the current process to whatever uid I set. Right ? So what stops me from writing my own C program and calling setuid(0) within it and gaining root privileges ? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreyan32
2 Replies