Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Can a shell script pull the first word (or nth word) off each line of a text file? Post 302085393 by tricky on Thursday 17th of August 2006 03:51:45 AM
Old 08-17-2006
Hammer & Screwdriver Reading word number x of line y in a script of a file of z lines

I'll give that thought a try and post the complete script.....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read last word of nth line

Hi people; i want to read the last word of the 14th line of my file1.txt. Here is the EXACT 14th line of the file. 250 SectorPortnum=3,AuxPortInUngo=2,PortDeviceGroup=1,PortDeviceSet=1,PorDevice=1 20 >>> Set. i have to get the word Set. how can i call it and also how... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gc_sw
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

get the fifth line of a text file into a shell script and trim the line to extract a WORD

FOLKS , i have a text file that is generated automatically of an another korn shell script, i want to bring in the fifth line of the text file in to my korn shell script and look for a particular word in the line . Can you all share some thoughts on this one. thanks... Venu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: venu
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find third(nth) word in all line from a file

For example i'm having the below contents in a file: expr is great when you want to split a string into just two parts. The .* also makes expr good for skipping a variable number of words when you don't know how many words a string will have. But expr is lousy for getting, say, the fourth word... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bangarukannan
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading a word from a text file into shell script

Hi, I am new to shell programming.I need to write a script that would accept a word from each line fo an input text file.Can anyone help me with this?Exact requirement: word1 word2 word3 (separated by space) .Now I need word3 from each such line in the text file. Thanks in Advance, Manish (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manish007
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read nth word from delimited text file?

Hi i am new in scripting how i can get 2 elements from first line of delimited txt file in shell scripts. AA~101010~0~AB~8000~ABC0~ BB~101011~0~BC~8000~ABC~ CC~101012~0~CD~8000~ABC0~ DD~101013~0~AB~8000~ABC~ AA~101014~0~BC~8000~ABC0~ CC~101015~0~CD~8000~ABC~ can anyone plse help?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushine11
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for the word and exporting 35 characters after that word using shell script?

I have a file input.txt which have loads of weird characters, html tags and useful materials. I want to display 35 characters after the word description excluding weird characters like $$#$#@$#@***$# and without html tags in the new file output.txt. Help me. Thanx in advance. My final goal is to... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachit adhikari
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for the word and exporting 35 characters after that word using shell script

I have a file input.txt which have loads of weird characters, html tags and useful materials. I want to display 35 characters after the word "description" excluding weird characters like $&lmp and without html tags in the new file output.txt. Help me. Thanx in advance. I have attached the input... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachit adhikari
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the nth word of mth line in a file

Hi.. May be a simple question but I just began to write unix scripts a week ago, for sorting some huge amount of experiment data, so I got no common sense about unix scripting and really need your helps... The situation is, I want to read the nth word of mth line in a file, and then store it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: freezelty
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep nth word in line?

my input file content is like this GEFITINIB 403 14 -4.786873 -4.786873 -1.990111 0.000000 0.000000 -1.146266 -39.955912 483 VANDETANIB 404 21 -4.754243 -4.754243 -2.554131 -0.090303 0.000000 -0.244210 -41.615502 193 VANDETANIB 405 21 -4.737541 -4.737541 -2.670195 -0.006006 0.000000 -0.285579... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandu87
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read a File line by line and split into array word by word

Hi All, Hope you guys had a wonderful weekend I have a scenario where in which I have to read a file line by line and check for few words before redirecting to a file I have searched the forum but,either those answers dint work (perhaps because of my wrong under standing of how IFS... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kingcobra
6 Replies
RDSWAP(1)						      General Commands Manual							 RDSWAP(1)

["NAME"]
       rdswap - a multi-language RD documents support tool

["SYNOPSIS"]
       rdswap [ -h | -v ] filename ...

["DESCRIPTION"]
       This tool is written to support you to write multi-language documents using the Ruby-Document-Format (RD).

The idea for such a tool was originated by Minero Aoki, how has thought about, how to make life easier for developers who have to write and
       maintain scripts in more than one language.

You have to specify at least two filenames on the command line. One containing the Ruby script, the second containing a translated  RD.	If
       the  script  does  not  end  with `.rb', it has to be the first filename mentioned on the command line! In opposition, all files containing
       translations must not ending with `.rb'! They should use a extension that describes the language. So that would give us the following  pic-
       ture:

o sample.rb : Script contains the original documentation.

o sample.jp : Documentation written in Japanese.

o sample.de : Translation to German.

The  tool doesn't care about the language extensions. You can name them as you like! So the file containing the Japanese translation above,
       could also be names e.g. `sample.japan' or even `japantranslation.japan'.

For every translation file, a new file will be created. The name is build from the script filename plus the language extension. So  regard-
       ing the example above, following files would be created:

o sample.rb.jp

o sample.rb.de

or, given the alternative translation filename as mentioned above...

o sample.rb.japan

["How does it work?"]
       The  contents  of all files will be split into source and RD blocks. The source of the translation files, will be discarded! Every RD block
       may be of a certain type. The type will be taken from the contents directly following the `=begin' on the same line. If	there  is  only  a
       lonely `=begin' on a line by itself, the type of the block is `nil'. That means in
	   # File sample.rd
	   :
	   =begin
	    bla bla
	   =end
	   :
	   =begin whatever or not
	    blub blub
	   =end
	   :

the first block would be of type `nil' and the second one of type `whatever or not'.

Block  types  are  important for the translation. If a source will be generated from a script and a translation file, only these blocks are
       taken from the translation files, that comes in the right sequence and contains the same type as the block in the script! For example:
	   # File sample.rb
	   :
	   =begin gnark
	    Some comment
	   =end
	   :
	   =begin
	    block 2
	   =end
	   :
	   =begin
	    block 3
	   =end
	   :

# File sample.de
	   :
	   =begin
	    Block zwei
	   =end
	   :
	   =begin
	    Block drei
	   =end
	   :

Here, the first block of `sample.rb' will *not* be translated, as there is no translation block with that type in sample.de! So	the  first
       block  would  be  inserted as-it-is into the translated script. The blocks afterwards, however, are translated as the block type does match
       (it is `nil' there).

Attention: In a translation file, a second block will only be used, if a first one was already used (matched). A third block will  only	be
       used, if a second one was used already!

That  means,  if the first block of `sample.de' would be of type e.g. `Never match', then no block would ever be taken to replace anyone of
       `sample.rb'.

["OPTIONS"]
       ["-h"]
	      shows this help text.

["-v"]
	      shows some more text during processing.

["filename"]
	      means a file, that contains RD and/or Ruby code.

["EXAMPLES"]
	   rdswap -v sample.rb sample.ja sample.de
	   rdswap -v sample.ja sample.rb sample.de
	   rdswap -v sample.ja sample.de sample.rb
	   rdswap -v sample.??

["AUTHORS"]
       Clemens Hintze <c.hintze@gmx.net>.

June 2012								 RDSWAP(1)