Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Error message
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Error message Post 302085248 by ammu on Wednesday 16th of August 2006 05:57:02 AM
Old 08-16-2006
Error message

I am new to scripting.
I am using the following script . BART.dat contains the string 'Y' .

#!/bin/ksh
cd /work/TCI/data_out

file=`cat BART.dat`
echo "$file"
if ["$file"=="Y"]; then
echo "true"
fi

When i am executing the above script i am getting the following error
./s.ksh[6]: [Y==Y]: not found

What could be the problem.

Thanks in advance

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

error message

Hi All, occasionally my server gives this error messages "NOTICE:HTFS Out of inodes on HTFS dev hd (1/42)" why ?? Alice. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alisev
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error Message

Hi everyone, Can anyone explain what the following error refers to...and perhaps a solution? vxfs: vx_nospace -/tmp file system full (8 block extent) Thanks, Uni (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Uni
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Error message

I'm getting an error - symbol referencing errors. No output written to, etc Can anybody tell me why this is? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dan Rooney
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Error message

Hi, My Solaris 5.8 system keeps getting this error at boot - "Can't set vol root to /vol" then /usr/sbin/vold: can't set vol root to /vol: Resource temporarily unavailiable Any idea what is wrong, and how do I fix it? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghuber
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Error message

Hi, My Solaris 5.8 system keeps getting this error at boot - "Can't set vol root to /vol" then /usr/sbin/vold: can't set vol root to /vol: Resource temporarily unavailiable Any idea what is wrong, and how do I fix it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ghuber
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

getting last error message

Question for unix programmers - what function I need to used to get the exact error message when the library failed to load? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tttttt
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error Message

What does this means? - ERROR OPENING FILE - KEY LENGHT MISMATCH (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RDM00
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error Message

I keep getting an error message in a script im writing, this line is allways pointed out. if and this is the message i keep getting. line 32: [: 8: unary operator expected Whats wrong with it? Please Help. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chapmana
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What does this Error Message Mean

Hi I found the following error message in my logs: warning: /etc/hosts.deny, line 6: can't verify hostname: getaddrinfo(localhost) didn't return ::ffff:222.255.28.33 What is the error message trying to indicate? That there is a problem with line 6 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
2 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.10 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)