Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Grep from different folder
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Grep from different folder Post 302085183 by nazri76 on Tuesday 15th of August 2006 11:27:16 PM
Old 08-16-2006
Grep from different folder

Hi All,

Need your assistance/advice.

I have 4 folders but using same name log file.

/user/access/server1
/user/access/server2
/user/access/server3
/user/access/server4

filename is access.log.20060716.gz

I want to grep the transaction id in the log file but I want to do simultaneously instead do 4 times.

Normal i did like this; gzcat access.log.20060716.gz | grep txid=1234567

Hope anyone can help me.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep multiple text files in folder into 1 text file?

How do I use the grep command to take mutiple text files in a folder and make one huge text file out of them. I'm using Mac OS X and can not find a text tool that does it so I figured I'd resort to the BSD Unix CLI for a solution... there are 5,300 files that I want to write to one huge file so... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: coppertone
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Execute grep command within a folder

Experts, i need your help to made an enhance query using the existing one. i'm using a command "find . -exec grep -l 'search string' {} \;" to search a particular sting within the file within a folder. Basically, my idea is to fine tune my search. What i want is, instead of searching all files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gav_dhiman
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Management: How do I move all JPGS in a folder structure to a single folder?

This is the file structure: DESKTOP/Root of Photo Folders/Folder1qweqwasdfsd/*jpg DESKTOP/Root of Photo Folders/Folder2asdasdasd/*jpg DESKTOP/Root of Photo Folders/Folder3asdadfhgasdf/*jpg DESKTOP/Root of Photo Folders/Folder4qwetwdfsdfg/*jpg DESKTOP/Root of Photo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: guptaxpn
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

grep for entire line from a log folder

As per my understanding below mentioned line of code finding a word 'boy' in $ACULOG... num_errors=`grep -i -e fail -e illegal -e exception -e "<E" -e boy $ACULOG | wc -l` if I'm not corerct, please correct me. How I can find entire line like "This is a boy" with something similar as above... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: heyitsmeok
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search current folder and subfolders with grep

Hello, Neither ‘Grep -r' nor ‘grep -R' is working in my environment. (Searching for a text pattern in the files) Any suggestions... Using SunOS 5.9 Thanks, Trinanjan. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhanja_trinanja
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep with parent folder

Hi, When I do ls -l | grep -h STRING I need not only to get those files, but also the parent folder of those files, no idea how do that. BTW the names of those parent folders are never longer than 3 digits, if that helps. Any assistance most welcome, /bw, OmarKN Please... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: OmarKN
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting for moving folder specific files into target directory of that country folder.

I need help to write shell script to copy files from one server to another server. Source Directory UAE(inside i have another folder Misc with files inside UAE folder).I have to copy this to another server UAE folder( Files should be copied to UAE folder and Misc files should be copied in target... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: naresh2389
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Request for Shell script to move files from Subfolder to Parent folder and delete sub folder

Hi Team, I am new to shell script and there is a requirement where files should be moved from Subfolder to parent folder. Eg: parent folder --> /Interface/data/test/IN Sub folder -->/Interface/data/test/IN/Invoice20180607233338 Subfolder will be always with timestamp... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srivarun15
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete oldest folder based on folder named as date

Hi, I have a script doing backup to synology server, the script create new folder each day with the date as being folder name i.e. 2018-07-30. Just before creating the new folder I want the script to find the oldest folder from the list and delete it including its content. for example... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: humble_learner
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep date pattern folder and zip -->delete

Hi All, OS: Redhat Linux 7.5 Shell: Bash I have some folder like this 2018-09-16 2018-09-17 2018-09-18 2018-09-19 and so on... Everyday one script create a folder with pattern YYYY-MM-DD (it will have so many sub directories files in it) Now what I would like to achieve is a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: onenessboy
1 Replies
FAILLOG(8)						    System Management Commands							FAILLOG(8)

NAME
faillog - display faillog records or set login failure limits SYNOPSIS
faillog [options] DESCRIPTION
faillog displays the contents of the failure log database (/var/log/faillog). It can also set the failure counters and limits. When faillog is run without arguments, it only displays the faillog records of the users who had a login failure. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the faillog command are: -a, --all Display (or act on) faillog records for all users having an entry in the faillog database. The range of users can be restricted with the -u option. In display mode, this is still restricted to existing users but forces the display of the faillog entries even if they are empty. With the -l, -m, -r, -t options, the users' records are changed, even if the user does not exist on the system. This is useful to reset records of users that have been deleted or to set a policy in advance for a range of users. -h, --help Display help message and exit. -l, --lock-secs SEC Lock account for SEC seconds after failed login. Write access to /var/log/faillog is required for this option. -m, --maximum MAX Set the maximum number of login failures after the account is disabled to MAX. Selecting a MAX value of 0 has the effect of not placing a limit on the number of failed logins. The maximum failure count should always be 0 for root to prevent a denial of services attack against the system. Write access to /var/log/faillog is required for this option. -r, --reset Reset the counters of login failures. Write access to /var/log/faillog is required for this option. -t, --time DAYS Display faillog records more recent than DAYS. -u, --user LOGIN|RANGE Display faillog record or maintains failure counters and limits (if used with -l, -m or -r options) only for the specified user(s). The users can be specified by a login name, a numerical user ID, or a RANGE of users. This RANGE of users can be specified with a min and max values (UID_MIN-UID_MAX), a max value (-UID_MAX), or a min value (UID_MIN-). When none of the -l, -m, or -r options are used, faillog displays the faillog record of the specified user(s). CAVEATS
faillog only prints out users with no successful login since the last failure. To print out a user who has had a successful login since their last failure, you must explicitly request the user with the -u flag, or print out all users with the -a flag. FILES
/var/log/faillog Failure logging file. SEE ALSO
login(1), faillog(5). System Management Commands 06/24/2011 FAILLOG(8)