Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Special Characters in directory name Post 302085047 by cpmurray on Monday 14th of August 2006 07:06:48 PM
Old 08-14-2006
tez,
The easiest way to remove it is to do a rm -ri personnel*, this should prompt you for every file/directory, find if there is anything in the directory, just use find, ie if there is not much in the parent directory just do a find . -print.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

special characters

I have one file which is named ^? ( the DEL character ) I'd like to know how to rename or copy the file by using its i-node number TYIA (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nawnaw
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Array with special Characters

Hi, I would write a shell script to execute a series of command. However, if the cmd contains "-" in the array. It fails to do so. I'd tried use ', " or \ but get the same result. Output: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: donaldfung
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove directory that has special Characters

Hi All, I have a script written that creates a new directory within the shell program and if a parameter isn't passed in, it creates a strange directory name by mistake. So I have a directory like "-_12" and I am unable to remove it. I tried removing it using double quote and many others. I have... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: datherriault
12 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help on vi (special characters) needed

How to add characters (not on the keyboard) with vi to a file? Example: How can I enter the copyright sign (UTF-8-Codetable: 169) with vi? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: desertchannel
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special characters

When I open a file in vi, I see the following characters: \302\240 Can someone explain what these characters mean. Is it ASCII format? I need to trim those characters from a file. I am doing the following: tr -d '\302\240' ---------- Post updated at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sid1982
1 Replies

6. Solaris

How to remove a directory or file with special characters in Solaris

I finally figured out how to remove a file or directory with special characters in the name. It's kind of rudimentary so I thought I would share it with everyone: find .inum -exec rm -rf {} \; (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jastanle84
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to see special characters?

Hi all, I was wondering how can i see the special characters like \t, \n or anything else in a file by using Nano or any other linux command like less, more etc (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvj
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

special characters

Hey guys, I'm trying to replace "]Facebook" from the text but sed 's/]Facebook/Johan/g' is not working could you please help me with that? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Johanni
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace special characters with Escape characters?

i need to replace the any special characters with escape characters like below. test!=123-> test\!\=123 !@#$%^&*()-= to be replaced by \!\@\#\$\%\^\&\*\(\)\-\= (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to replace special characters?

Hi Team, I have data like this. |*|.5|*|0.2|*|A.B|*| Would like to add zero (0) before the decimal point where there is no zero as |*|0.5|*|0.2|*|A.B|*| How to replace |*|. with |*|0. I tried below command which didn't work echo '|*|.5|*|0.2|*|A.B|*' | sed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravi.K
4 Replies
MOUNT(2)							System Calls Manual							  MOUNT(2)

NAME
mount, umount - mount or remove file system SYNOPSIS
mount(special, name, rwflag) char *special, *name; umount(special) char *special; DESCRIPTION
Mount announces to the system that a removable file system has been mounted on the block-structured special file special; from now on, ref- erences to file name will refer to the root file on the newly mounted file system. Special and name are pointers to null-terminated strings containing the appropriate path names. Name must exist already. Name must be a directory (unless the root of the mounted file system is not a directory). Its old contents are inaccessible while the file system is mounted. The rwflag argument determines whether the file system can be written on; if it is 0 writing is allowed, if non-zero no writing is done. Physically write-protected and magnetic tape file systems must be mounted read-only or errors will occur when access times are updated, whether or not any explicit write is attempted. Umount announces to the system that the special file is no longer to contain a removable file system. The associated file reverts to its ordinary interpretation. SEE ALSO
mount(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Mount returns 0 if the action occurred; -1 if special is inaccessible or not an appropriate file; if name does not exist; if special is already mounted; if name is in use; or if there are already too many file systems mounted. Umount returns 0 if the action occurred; -1 if if the special file is inaccessible or does not have a mounted file system, or if there are active files in the mounted file system. ASSEMBLER
(mount = 21.) sys mount; special; name; rwflag (umount = 22.) sys umount; special MOUNT(2)