Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers EXIT STATUS on mailx/sendmail Post 302084794 by Amruta Pitkar on Sunday 13th of August 2006 11:21:06 PM
Old 08-14-2006
EXIT STATUS on mailx/sendmail

Hi there

I am using mailx command to send mails. I want to send some important files to team members and wud like to know if the team member has recd my email or not.
How can I achieve this ?
Currently my piece of code is
Code:
uuencode ${FILE_NAME} ${FILE_NAME} >> mail_msg.txt
mailx -s"test phyo attachement" amra@yahoo.com < mail_msg.txt

Can anyone help please....????
Also is their any simpler alternative to this issue ?
I read the sendmail manual...and understand that it provides an EXIT_STATUS.
How to handle this EXIT STATUS ? What is -N DNS option ? Can someone explain? But then with SendMail I cannot include the Subject ??? It is importtant that I have a subject line ..for me the Subject Line will conatin some important info....
Please help.....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

exit status

i downloaded a text file from metalab.unc.edu called sh.txt and in this reference manual it refers to shell scripting exit status .. at the end of one of the examples that author gave an exit status of 127.. to what does a 127 exit status refer too and what is its purpose in the code. moxxx68 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the exit status

Hi all, I'm running a program which return 1 upon success. But when encounters problem shell return 's '1' . How to differentiate between them the shell return value and script return value. Ex. function fn return '1' if executed successfully and '0' if failed. But when if shell encounters... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yhacks
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exit status

I'm preparing for exam and one of exams is to write own test command... I wonder if in unix is a command which just returns exit code you specify.. I know I can easily write a function like this: exStatus() { return $1 } -> my question is rather theoretical thank you! (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: MartyIX
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sendmail? Mailx? SMTP?

We require e-mails to come from one of our Solaris 10 boxes ASAP and have found that when using such things as Sendmail and Mailx all the mail goes to a Q that only fires every 15 minutes. We have tried everything we could think of to adjust this to force the Q to go every 1 minute but so far no... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LRoberts
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Configure mailx or sendmail

hi, I would like to configure mailx or sendmail to send out some mails to some users. I tried searching online for the configuration but it was kinda confusing. I thought that posting here might get someone to work with me step by step I tried sending out mail but i did not receive in my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cghcgh
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to exit from mailx

Hello Guys, I have created function which is as follow: My function is working, but it's waiting after executing mailx command. If user will press Ctrl+d then only it is executing subsequent lines. I treid couple of options such as quit, exit, ., ETO, but it's not working. Is any one can help me?... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kasparov
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exit Status

I have a shell script (#!/bin/sh) that interacts with Appworx and Banner Admin. In my script I want to check the exit status of awrun before continuing. awrun can run for 10 seconds or it can run for over a minute. So my question is, will it go through my if statement before awrun may even be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: smkremer
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to sendmail using mailx in linux

how to sendmail to other computer in the same computer lab using mailx? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: help me
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to get the exit status

Hi All, I am trying to create a zip file with all the txt files(these are in large number) in the current directory. I am able to do this operation sucessfully. After this i want to get the status of the tar command executed and do accordingly. When i am trying with the below code, the status... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: paddu
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Mailx , sendmail and mailhost

Hi all, I am trying to grasp the concept between the 3 entity above. I understand that mailx - MUA I also understand that sendmail = MTA 1) If I have a centralized mail server (which might not be sendmail), can I just set mailhost in "/etc/hosts" to point to that mailserver and use... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: javanoob
7 Replies
aliases(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							aliases(4)

NAME
aliases - Contains alias definitions for the sendmail program SYNOPSIS
/var/adm/sendmail/aliases DESCRIPTION
By default, the aliases file contains the required aliases for the sendmail program. Do not delete these defaults because they are needed by the system. This file describes user ID aliases used by the sendmail command. It is formatted as a series of lines in the form: name: name_1, name_2, name_3,.. The name is the name that needs an alias, and the name_n are the aliases for that name. Lines beginning with white space are continuation lines. Lines beginning with a # (number sign) are comments. You can define an alias only on local names. Duplicate addresses are removed and no message is sent to any person more than once. For example, if name_1 defines an alias that is name_2 and name_2 defines an alias that is name_1, sendmail does not send the same message back and forth. Local and valid recipients who have a .forward file in their home directory have messages forwarded to the list of users defined in that file. This is only the raw data file; the actual information that defines the aliases is placed into a binary format in the files /var/adm/send- mail/aliases.dir and /var/adm/sendmail/aliases.pag using the newaliases command. For the change to take effect, the newaliases command must be executed each time the aliases file is changed. The sendmail program also supports sending messages to programs or appending a message to a file. See the sendmail(8) reference page for further information. Special Aliases Directs error messages that occur when sending to aliasname back to address. RESTRICTIONS
Aliases for sendmail use the dbm(3) database format for faster lookups. A single alias cannot exceed 1,000 characters. To work around this restriction, you can chain together aliases. For example: alias-list: ali1, ali2, ali3 ali1: name 1, name 2 ... ali2: name n, name n + 1 FILES
Binary aliases file. Binary aliases file. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: newaliases(1), forward(4), local.users(4), sendmail(8) delim off aliases(4)