Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Special Characters in directory name Post 302084488 by nathan on Friday 11th of August 2006 07:37:16 AM
Old 08-11-2006
Do you have Perl? Something like this might work. You would have to uncomment the rmdir line, but I would recommend this only after you know it's printing only the directory name you want to delete.
Code:
#!/usr/bin/env perl

my @files = glob("personnel*");

# 27 decimal = 33 octal
$char = sprintf("%c",27);

foreach $file ( @files ) {
   if ( $file =~ m/personnel$char/ ) {
     printf "dir = $file\n";
     # rmdir $file;
   }
}

I'm sure there's a way to escape octal characters in the shell, but I'm not sure how. Another alternative would be to move off all the 'normal' directories to a temporary location until the only one left is the "personnel\033[D.." file. Then rmdir personnel* as above.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

special characters

I have one file which is named ^? ( the DEL character ) I'd like to know how to rename or copy the file by using its i-node number TYIA (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nawnaw
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Array with special Characters

Hi, I would write a shell script to execute a series of command. However, if the cmd contains "-" in the array. It fails to do so. I'd tried use ', " or \ but get the same result. Output: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: donaldfung
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove directory that has special Characters

Hi All, I have a script written that creates a new directory within the shell program and if a parameter isn't passed in, it creates a strange directory name by mistake. So I have a directory like "-_12" and I am unable to remove it. I tried removing it using double quote and many others. I have... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: datherriault
12 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help on vi (special characters) needed

How to add characters (not on the keyboard) with vi to a file? Example: How can I enter the copyright sign (UTF-8-Codetable: 169) with vi? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: desertchannel
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special characters

When I open a file in vi, I see the following characters: \302\240 Can someone explain what these characters mean. Is it ASCII format? I need to trim those characters from a file. I am doing the following: tr -d '\302\240' ---------- Post updated at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sid1982
1 Replies

6. Solaris

How to remove a directory or file with special characters in Solaris

I finally figured out how to remove a file or directory with special characters in the name. It's kind of rudimentary so I thought I would share it with everyone: find .inum -exec rm -rf {} \; (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jastanle84
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to see special characters?

Hi all, I was wondering how can i see the special characters like \t, \n or anything else in a file by using Nano or any other linux command like less, more etc (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvj
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

special characters

Hey guys, I'm trying to replace "]Facebook" from the text but sed 's/]Facebook/Johan/g' is not working could you please help me with that? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Johanni
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace special characters with Escape characters?

i need to replace the any special characters with escape characters like below. test!=123-> test\!\=123 !@#$%^&*()-= to be replaced by \!\@\#\$\%\^\&\*\(\)\-\= (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to replace special characters?

Hi Team, I have data like this. |*|.5|*|0.2|*|A.B|*| Would like to add zero (0) before the decimal point where there is no zero as |*|0.5|*|0.2|*|A.B|*| How to replace |*|. with |*|0. I tried below command which didn't work echo '|*|.5|*|0.2|*|A.B|*' | sed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravi.K
4 Replies
RMDIR(1)							   User Commands							  RMDIR(1)

NAME
rmdir - remove empty directories SYNOPSIS
rmdir [OPTION]... DIRECTORY... DESCRIPTION
Remove the DIRECTORY(ies), if they are empty. --ignore-fail-on-non-empty ignore each failure that is solely because a directory is non-empty -p, --parents remove DIRECTORY and its ancestors; e.g., `rmdir -p a/b/c' is similar to `rmdir a/b/c a/b a' -v, --verbose output a diagnostic for every directory processed --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit AUTHOR
Written by David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
Report rmdir bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2009 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
rmdir(2) The full documentation for rmdir is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and rmdir programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'rmdir invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 7.1 July 2010 RMDIR(1)