Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Network noobie question
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Network noobie question Post 302084356 by 3rr0r_3rr0r on Thursday 10th of August 2006 03:17:23 PM
Old 08-10-2006
Network noobie question

This is my first attempt in installing a netbsd ever. I'm trying to get myself familiar with some commands and how things work in unix and so far i never knew its this fun. Anyway, unix is our elective here in school and school is gonna start 2 weeks. I'm just trying to get a headstart on this Smilie

I'm having some problems setting up the network and all.

I believe the network card (w3g11t) is being detected and according to the stuff I read in the netbsd forums its supported. Problem is, it just wont detect DHCP on my router, even my router is DHCP enabled.

My network skills are limited and I just want to check where can I get these values in my router or in my windowsxp.

1.Where can I get the value of my IPv4 number?
2.Where can I get the value of my IPv4 Netmask?
3.Where can I get the value of my IPv4 gateway?
4.Where can I get the value of my IPv4 name server?

anyone knows where I put the values of my from those four?
IP Address:
Subnet Mask:
Default Gateway:
DNS 1:
DNS 2:
DNS 3:

like....is the IP address value should be the same as the IPv4 number....IPv4 Netmask value should be the same as the Subnet Mask....

need help. Smilie

Last edited by 3rr0r_3rr0r; 08-10-2006 at 04:41 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Network question

Hey, Just need a little help I'm not sure wat I should do. We have several little networks setup for testing different things. One of these networks we need to have running at full dulpex. Right now we run 2 hubs (to go off to 2 differnt parts) and they are half dulpex hubs. Is is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: merlin
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Noobie Needs help with scripting

I've just begun using/studying Unix and I've run into a problem. I'm attempting to write a script that will replace a string within a textfile with another string, backing up the file before editing it. This is what I have so far, but I'm getting a "command not found" error. example input: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vamirr
2 Replies

3. Solaris

New born noobie with an easy question

I was told on a website that unix can help you make one. I was just wondering how and can you help me with a web page of my own. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shintouku
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I need help with a noobie shell script.

My applogies. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: buttons
1 Replies

5. IP Networking

network question

Hi here is my question; any help would be appreciated The Linux system pokey has two Ethernet cards. The first Ethernet card is connected to a companywide TCP/IP network covering the addresses 87.65.43.xx, where pokey's address is 87.65.43.21. The second Ethernet interface is connected to a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scofiled83
2 Replies

6. IP Networking

Network question

Folks; I have 2 SUSE servers similar in all configuration & both on the same network (192.168.151.10 & 192.168.151.11) with the same default gateway of 192.168.151.1 and the same netmask of 255.255.255.0 and the same firewall configuration the first one works fine and i can ssh to it & i can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katkota
3 Replies

7. Programming

Noobie in C

Hi to everyone , I am learning C language and I have problem with one example from book #include <stdio.h> int main() { char me; printf(“What is your name?”); scanf(“%s”,&me); printf(“Welcome, %s!\n”,me); return(0); } when I want to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

help while looping simple noobie

hi guys i have linked my lab 15. i have no idea where to start i dont understand whats it asking me. about the screen shot part!.. if someone can take a quick look and help me out with this unix lab that would be great.. i have did the Required Errorlevels Errorlevel #Event Information ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: beerpong1
1 Replies

9. Linux

(ASK) Question about linux network...

hi all, im linux nubie n want to ask, 1. how to access the windows pc? if from windows to windows, we can use : start-run-\\192.168.1.1\e$ now, how about from linux (fedora) n want to access to windows drive? if I use ssh from linux to windows, ssh 192.168.6.171 ssh: connect... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: busoh.sensen
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redhat - network question

Hi, I am on Redhat 5. on the /etc/sysconfig/network file I don't see GATEWAY as one line. I also checked /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0. I don't see GATEWAY. But on the server. But when I do netstat -rn. I see many address. Is there some other settings ? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
2 Replies
subnetcalc(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					     subnetcalc(8)

NAME
subnetcalc -- IPv4/IPv6 Subnet Calculator SYNOPSIS
subnetcalc [Address] [Netmask/Prefix] [-n] [-uniquelocal] [-uniquelocalhq] DESCRIPTION
subnetcalc is an IPv4/IPv6 subnet address calculator. For given IPv4 or IPv6 address and netmask or prefix length, it calculates network address, broadcast address, maximum number of hosts and host address range. Also, it prints the addresses in binary format for better under- standability. Furthermore, it prints useful information on specific address types (e.g. type, scope, interface ID, etc.). ARGUMENTS
The following arguments have to be provided: Address The IP address. If a hostname is provided here, it is tried to resolve the address by a DNS server and the first returned address is used. Internationalized Domain Names (IDN) are supported. Netmask/Prefix The netmask or prefix length (0-32 for IPv4; 0-128 for IPv6). -n Skip trying a reverse DNS lookup. -uniquelocal Given an IPv6 address, the first 48 bits of the address are replaced by a randomly chosen IPv6 Unique Local prefix in fc00::/7 (see also RFC 4193). Under Linux, /dev/urandom is used for random number generation. -uniquelocalhq Like -uniquelocal, but using /dev/random instead on Linux systems for highest-quality random number generation. On other systems, this option is equal to -uniquelocal. Note, that reading from /dev/random may take some time. You can speed up this process by deliv- ering random input e.g. by pressing keys or moving the mouse. EXAMPLES
subnetcalc 132.252.250.0 255.255.255.0 subnetcalc 132.252.250.0/255.255.255.0 subnetcalc 132.252.250.0 24 subnetcalc 132.252.250.0/24 subnetcalc fec0:2345:6789:1111:221:6aff:fe0b:2674 56 subnetcalc 2a00:1450:8007::69 64 subnetcalc ff08::1:2:3 subnetcalc 131.220.6.5/24 subnetcalc 132.252.181.87 -n subnetcalc www.iem.uni-due.de 24 subnetcalc www.six.heise.de subnetcalc fd00:: 64 -uniquelocal subnetcalc fd00::9876:256:7bff:fe1b:3255 56 -uniquelocalhq subnetcalc dusseldorf.de 28 subnetcalc www.koln.de subnetcalc raksmorgas.josefsson.org 24 AUTHORS
Thomas Dreibholz http://www.iem.uni-due.de/~dreibh/subnetcalc mailto://dreibh@iem.uni-due.de subnetcalc June 19, 2010 subnetcalc