Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: tar tricks
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users tar tricks Post 302084316 by neked on Thursday 10th of August 2006 11:01:56 AM
Old 08-10-2006
tar tricks

Hello there,

Is there anyway to make the tar utility print the contents of the files inside it (not list the files, but rather their contents) sequentially from the command line?

What I ultimately would like to do is to have a way of printing the contents of each file in the tar archive separately to the standard input of another program through a pipe:

i.e.

tar -something test.tar | file_reader

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

need couple of ksh tricks please

1) I ran myScript with 2 arguments, I meant to use 3 if I do r my, it will rerun it with the 2 arguments. is there a way I can do r my and add a third argument at the end? 2) say I did myAcript.ksh 2 5 7 8 I realise my typo. is there an easy way to redo the command replacing A with S? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesByars
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

3. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Solaris tips and tricks

What do you think could we open new top topic with tips and tricks and to show to other users some tricks what do we know like dtrace , new virtual server , how to add new users etc. This is only suggestion (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sed Tricks

I have a file which containd a string "old" and I need to replace all old with "new" if and only if it is a string not part of a string like Gold or fold etc. I tried with sed like below echo "old gold old" | sed 's/old/new/g' It doesn't give the desired output, It give "old Gnew new".... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Basic VI tricks

I found a decent guide of VI basic tricks. This guide does expect you to have a decent understanding of VI. It does not go over very much beginner related. vi Manual (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Vim tips and tricks

Vim Tips and Tricks Save and quit :w => Save :q => Exit as long as there have been no changes :q! => Exit and ignore any changes :wq => Save and Exit. :x => Exit, saving changes ZZ => Exit and save changes if any have been made :10,20w filename => writes the... (34 Replies)
Discussion started by: ungalnanban
34 Replies
PTARGREP(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					       PTARGREP(1)

NAME
ptargrep - Apply pattern matching to the contents of files in a tar archive SYNOPSIS
ptargrep [options] <pattern> <tar file> ... Options: --basename|-b ignore directory paths from archive --ignore-case|-i do case-insensitive pattern matching --list-only|-l list matching filenames rather than extracting matches --verbose|-v write debugging message to STDERR --help|-? detailed help message DESCRIPTION
This utility allows you to apply pattern matching to the contents of files contained in a tar archive. You might use this to identify all files in an archive which contain lines matching the specified pattern and either print out the pathnames or extract the files. The pattern will be used as a Perl regular expression (as opposed to a simple grep regex). Multiple tar archive filenames can be specified - they will each be processed in turn. OPTIONS
--basename (alias -b) When matching files are extracted, ignore the directory path from the archive and write to the current directory using the basename of the file from the archive. Beware: if two matching files in the archive have the same basename, the second file extracted will overwrite the first. --ignore-case (alias -i) Make pattern matching case-insensitive. --list-only (alias -l) Print the pathname of each matching file from the archive to STDOUT. Without this option, the default behaviour is to extract each matching file. --verbose (alias -v) Log debugging info to STDERR. --help (alias -?) Display this documentation. COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2010 Grant McLean <grantm@cpan.org> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-05-12 PTARGREP(1)