Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: background output
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users background output Post 302083971 by smtpgeek on Tuesday 8th of August 2006 02:07:50 PM
Old 08-08-2006
background output

Question:
I run a script to check a filesystem or two and put it in the background vi a ssh session. Now, upon killing the window(ssh session) the script will of course keep running, BUT if I log back into the box via ssh how can I get the output of the script back to my ssh session/window?

Is this at all possible?

TIA,
BA

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

backups in background

Hi, how i can do background backup process in Unix?? I has Solaris Operating System. very much thanks!! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jairog
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to store output in variable when put in background

Hi, How do I store following command output: export RESULT=`date` & It works when I do : export RESULT=`date` But what I need is when command put it background, I also need that output going to RESULT variable. Is there any way ? Thanks Sanjay (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sanjay92
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

piping output of tail running in background

Not sure why this does not work in bash: tail -f err.log |& -bash: syntax error near unexpected token `&' I am attempting to continuously read a file that is being updated by doing a "tail -f" on the file and piping the output to stdin which can then be read by the next shell command Thnx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuramdas
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

background functions doesn't display their output

hello there, there's a function, in my shell script, i'd like to run in the background. here's an example: log() { local SELF=${0##*/} tty -s && echo ": $*" } some_func() { # do something log "This text is not displayed in the terminal's output when running in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shedon
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send Foreground job to background redirecting output

I have many CPU intensive processes running and sometimes I run them in the foreground so that I can see what the output is. I want to send that foreground process to the background, but also have it direct the output to a logfile. I know to send something to the bg I do Ctrl-z on the FG... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhullbuzz
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing the output of a background job

Hello, I unfortunately have a process that does two things, it returns an answer to me and then does a bunch of work that I would like to wait on. Here is a simple example: #!/bin/bash function p_w { echo "poopy" sleep 10 echo "scoop" } foo=$(p_w &) sleep 1 echo "1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: brsett
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Seeing output of background process

I'm pretty sure I had the answer to this months ago and have misplaced it. Needless to say I will bookmark it this time. I have a background process that's been running way longer than usual. It doesn't output anything to a file, so I can't 'tail -f' it. Is there a command that will enable me to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dheian
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output when killing a background process

I played a bit around with the Terminal and I observed something. When I start and kill a background process, there is some kind of output. After I invoked the command to start the process the first message " 13063" is directly displayed. However, after killing the process, the second message "+... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chuck Morris
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture output of command triggered in background

Is there any way to trigger a sequence of commands in parallel and capture their output in variables? e.g. something on the following lines x=`echo "X" &` y=`echo "Y" &` z=`echo "Z" &` so that $x, $y, and $z evaluate to X, Y and Z res. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jawsnnn
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I send output of a background process to a file other than nohup.out?

I have a question. I will be running a background process using nohup and & command at end. I want to send output to a file say myprocess.out. So will this command work? nohup myprocess.ksh > myprocess.out & Thanks in advance guys !!! :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vx04
3 Replies
SSH-ARGV0(1)                                                BSD General Commands Manual                                               SSH-ARGV0(1)

NAME
ssh-argv0 -- replaces the old ssh command-name as hostname handling SYNOPSIS
hostname | user@hostname [-l login_name] [command] hostname | user@hostname [-afgknqstvxACNTX1246] [-b bind_address] [-c cipher_spec] [-e escape_char] [-i identity_file] [-l login_name] [-m mac_spec] [-o option] [-p port] [-F configfile] [-L port:host:hostport] [-R port:host:hostport] [-D port] [command] DESCRIPTION
ssh-argv0 replaces the old ssh command-name as hostname handling. If you link to this script with a hostname then executing the link is equivalent to having executed ssh with that hostname as an argument. All other arguments are passed to ssh and will be processed normally. OPTIONS
See ssh(1). FILES
See ssh(1). AUTHORS
OpenSSH is a derivative of the original and free ssh 1.2.12 release by Tatu Ylonen. Aaron Campbell, Bob Beck, Markus Friedl, Niels Provos, Theo de Raadt and Dug Song removed many bugs, re-added newer features and created OpenSSH. Markus Friedl contributed the support for SSH protocol versions 1.5 and 2.0. Jonathan Amery wrote this ssh-argv0 script and the associated documentation. SEE ALSO
ssh(1) Debian Project September 7, 2001 Debian Project