Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to find the maximum # of PIDs Post 302082993 by blowtorch on Friday 4th of August 2006 01:08:46 AM
Old 08-04-2006
You need to change the program... it looks like either the program logic is flawed, or it is going crazy...
Make sure that the program is checking for processes exiting before forking off new ones...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find out the maximum growing file in a mount

I need to find the file that is growing in the mount. Say yesterday the utilised space was 95% but today that is 96%. How do i find the file that is growing in size. Have checked the same with du/df options but was not able to find much. Please suggest the best possible option. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raman1605
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

TO find the word which occurs maximum number of times

Hi Folks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My Requirement is............. i have a input file: 501,501.chan 502,502.anand 503,503.biji 504,504.raja 505,505.chan 506,506.anand 507,507.chan and my o/p should be chan->3 i.e. the word which occurs maximum number of times in a file should be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aajan
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please help me to find out maximum value of a field based on grouping of other fields.

Please help me to find out maximum value of a field based on grouping of other fields, as we do in SQL. Like in SQL if we are having below records : Client_Name Associate_Name Date1 Value C1111 A1111 2012-01-17 10 C1111 A1111 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KamalKumarKalra
1 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

Find the Maximum value and average of a column

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I am trying to complete a script which will allow me to find: a) reads a value from the keyboard. (ask the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dstewie
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the maximum of a value

0.01 0.6 0.39 0.4 0.3 0.3 1 0 0 0 0 1 I would like to print 2 if the maximum of a row is the first column I would like to print 1 if the maximum of a row is the second colum print 0 if it is the third. so in this case, 0.6 is the max of the first row so i would want to print 1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnkim0806
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using awk to find and use the maximum value in column of data

Dear Unix Gurus, I have a text file with multiple columns, for example, see sample.txt below 0 1 301 1 4 250 2 6 140 3 2 610 7 1 180I want to find the maximum in, say, column 3, normalise all the values to this maximum value (to 4 decimal places) and spit everything into a new... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tintin72
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the maximum value and take value from the neigbouring cells

Let say I have this table A B 0.30 C D 0.60 E F 0.80 G H 0.11 I J 0.10 K L 0.23 M N 0.50 O P 0.01 I need to find the maximum value in each row and output the highest value plus the information two columns back. For example: the output should look like this E F 0.80 M N 0.50 Thanks in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: seiksoon
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to find out the maximum cumulative value?

I have a file has thousands of rows and each row has a number and the number can be positive or negative. I want to do the cumulative sum from the first row. How can I find out the maximum cumulative value when I do the sum work row by row. Here is the example: 4 -3 2 -3 -1 1In this case, the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yuejian
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find minimum and maximum values based on column with associative array

Hello, I need to find out the minimum and maximum values based on specific column, and then print out the entire row with the max value. Infile.txt: scf6 290173 290416 . + X_047241 T_00113118-1 scf6 290491 290957 . + X_047241 T_00113118-2 scf6 290898 290957 . + X_047241 T_00113119-3 scf6... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to find maximum and minimum from column and store in other column

Need your support for below. Please help to get required output If column 5 is INV then only consider column1 and take out duplicates/identical rows/values from column1 and then put minimum value of column6 in column7 and put maximum value in column 8 and then need to do subtract values of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: as7951
7 Replies
process_id_max(5)						File Formats Manual						 process_id_max(5)

NAME
process_id_max - limit the maximum value for process IDs (PIDs) VALUES
Failsafe Default Minimum Maximum must be greater than or equal to If the difference between and inclusive is less than is effectively limited to this difference. DESCRIPTION
The tunable allows the administrator to select a potential value range for process IDs (PIDs) as generated by (see fork(2)). It allows the administrator to select a balance between compatibility, capacity, and aesthetics. Warning: Some programs cannot tolerate PID values up to the maximum. If such programs exist and are critical, the maximum PID should be appropriately constrained. For more details on these concerns, see below. Who is Expected to Change This Tunable? Anyone. Restrictions on Changing Do not increase the maximum PID if there are critical applications which assume that PIDs fit into a restricted range. (See below). The value of can be increased at any time, and it takes effect immediately. (However, its effect may not be noticed until a sufficient number of new processes have been created to cause the system to utilize the available higher values.) A decrease in the value of also takes effect immediately. However any existing processes with PIDs that are higher than the new value are not affected. The decrease will be in full effect for all processes only after a reboot. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Raised? Increase the maximum PID if the range of PIDs defined by the and tunables needs to be increased to allow the creation of more simultaneous processes. See nproc(5) for limits on the number of processes. Increase the maximum PID in systems which have many active processes (for example, >25,000). The larger range may increase the efficiency of creating of new processes (because it may take less work to find available PIDs). If it is desired to validate that software programs execute properly in environments where PID values may be large, increase the tunable along with the tunable to force all new process IDs to take on large values. (See process_id_min(5) for more information.) Do not increase the maximum PID if there are critical applications which assume that PIDs fit into a restricted range. (See below.) What are the Side Effects of Raising the Value? If the difference between and tunables is less than the number of processes allowed to exist simultaneously is limited to that difference. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Lowered? Lower the maximum PID if critical applications make assumptions that the PID range is restricted. What are the Side Effects of Lowering the Value? If the difference between and tunables is less than the number of processes allowed to exist simultaneously is limited to that difference. What Other Tunable Values Should Be Changed at the Same Time? It may be desirable to change For program development and validation, a change in the tunable may also be needed. Potential Application Issues The range of PID values has, in the past, been restricted to 0..30,000. Some programs have built-in assumptions about this range. This section briefly describes some of those assumptions. Some application programs have a built-in assumption that a PID does not exceed 30,000 (which was the old value of the (undocumented) and constants). They could fail if PIDs exceed this maximum. Some application programs store PIDs in 16-bit variables (type in C). Such programs could fail if the maximum PID exceeds 32,767. Some programs provide output formats which can be sensitive to the number of digits in the PID. Such programs may produce aesthetically displeasing output if PIDs exceed 5 digits (exceed 99,999). In some cases automatic expansion of output fields can disturb column align- ment. In some other cases, adjacent fields could run together, making the output incomprehensible. Some programs or scripts parse the outputs of other programs which contain PID values. Some such programs have built-in assumptions that a PID will not exceed five character positions. Such a program could fail if the range exceeds 99,999. Because session IDs (SIDs) and process group IDs (PGIDs) are the same as the process ID of the session or group leader, an increase in the maximum PID also increases the maximum SID and PGID. Though much less likely, the same application issues may exist for SIDs and PGIDs. WARNINGS
All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. The HP-UX kernel may silently round the selected values for and/or (e.g., to the nearest power of 2) in order to accommodate the PID gener- ation algorithm. Do not increase the maximum PID if there are critical applications which assume that PIDs fit into a restricted range. See the previous section, for more details on such programmatic assumptions. The default maximum (30,000) has been selected to provide compatibility with all such programs. This value should be used if program sensitivity to larger PID values is unknown. See process_id_min(5) for informa- tion about how large PID values can be selected for software validation purposes. Increasing the PID range does not increase the maximum number of processes in the system. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
fork(2), nproc(5), process_id_min(5). whitepaper, available on Tunable Kernel Parameters process_id_max(5)