Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Automatically creating a folder Post 302082866 by pankajkrmishra on Thursday 3rd of August 2006 11:30:04 AM
Old 08-03-2006
Automatically creating a folder

Hi

How can i create a date folder inside my logs folder everday when a script is run ??

eg : ./logs/20060803/pkm.log

where only variable is 20060803 and all other folder name should remain same.

Thanks in advance

Pankaj

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating folder when the string matches

hi :confused:sorry last time , b4 im drafting the thread i was unexpectedly posted the thread see here is the program wat it will do is .. i have to create folder at the run time when the string matches ... what to do is im havin text file which carry the file name like ( EngCVer1pg1j01.TOP,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: maximas
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating space in root folder

Hi , I was wondering if anyone knows any great ways for creating space in your Root Folder. My root folder was created with only 247.7MB & I found out that its now full & I was initially wondering how important the "thumbnails Folder" was & if it was alright to delete their contenses as I noticed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using cp: preserving file/folder attributes and auto creating folders

Hi, Is there a way to use cp in such a way that when a file is copied to a destination, the required destination folders are automatically created with the proper permissions, and the resulting copied file has the same attributes as the original. For example if I copied... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pcwiz
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Set ACL automatically for new folder/objects

Hi, In our bank production environment - IBM AIX 5.3, we have a particular parent folder inside which an application creates temporary folders & files. These temp folders exist for the lifetime of the user session within the application and then get deleted automatically. Since these temp... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deepaksinbox
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy files by automatically creating directories

I am in a situation where I have some hundreds of thousands of files in a directory (name of directory: big_directory). Now, working on this directory is extremely slow. I now plan to do this: Copy 1000 files in each of the directories by creating the directories automatically. All files have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

Creating a hidden partition that doesn't mount automatically

I have a drive full of diagnostic images (ASD), and I also use it for storage, installers, etc. When I plug it in to a booted system, it has to mount every single volume (about 25) which can take some time. I would like to keep all the ASD partitions from mounting when plugged in/at boot. I know... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nextyoyoma
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating a sub-folder in multiple folders

Hi I've been trying to find an answer to this question and was hoping someone would be able to help me. I want to add a sub-folder to to an existing structure: for example /toys/toy_1/new /toys/toy_2/new /toys/toy_3/new There are humdreds of theses folders - what i want to do is add a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LouSan
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a ksh script to copy a folder

Hi Folks, I need help in creating a ksh script to copy a folder from one server to multiple other servers using ssh and sftp. The thing is the folder name changes daily. So is there a way we could specify the folder name during the execution of script.? I would appreciate a quicker help.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lena07
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to select oldest folder in directory automatically and log process

The `bash` below uses the oldest folder in the specified directory and logs it. The goes though an analysis process and creates a log. My problem is that if there are 3 folders in the directory folder1,folder2,folder3, the bash is using folder2 for the analysis eventhough folder1 is the oldest... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating dated folder name in SMB share

I can't seen to figure this out. Let's say I want to create a folder with the name "August2017". In regular terminal prompt I can type mkdir `date +%B%Y` But when I'm connected to a SMB share (at the smb: prompt), the command doesn't translate properly. A folder gets created but the name is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdch1000
4 Replies
rmf(1mh)																  rmf(1mh)

Name
       rmf - remove folder

Syntax
       rmf [ +folder ] [ -help ] [ -[no]interactive ]

Description
       The  command  removes all of the messages within the current folder, and then removes the folder itself.  If there are any files within the
       folder which are not part of MH, they are not removed, and an error message is displayed.

You can specify a folder other than the current folder by using the +folder argument.  If you do not specify a folder, and cannot find  the
       current folder, asks you whether you want to delete instead.

If the current folder is removed, it makes current.

Note that the command irreversibly deletes messages that do not have other links, so use it with caution.

If  the folder being removed is a sub-folder, the parent folder becomes the new current folder, and tells you that this has happened.  This
       provides an easy mechanism for selecting a set of messages, operating on the list, then removing the list  and  returning  to  the  current
       folder from which the list was extracted.

Using to delete a read-only folder deletes the private sequence and current message information from the file, without affecting the folder
       itself.	If you have sub-folders within a folder, you must delete all the sub-folders before you can delete the folder itself.

Options
       -help	 Prints a list of the valid options to this command.

-interactive
       -nointeractive
		 Asks for confirmation before deleting a folder.  By default, deletes a folder and its messages without asking	for  confirmation.
		 If  you  specify  the	-interactive option, asks if you are sure before deleting the folder.  You are advised to use this option,
		 since when deletes a folder its contents are lost irretrievably.

Examples
       This example shows how asks for confirmation when the -interactive option is used:
       % rmf -interactive +test
       Remove folder "test"? y

Profile Components
       Path:   To determine the user's Mail directory

Files
       The user profile.

See Also
       rmm(1mh)

rmf(1mh)