Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting replacing a string in a file with command line parameter Post 302082849 by aigles on Thursday 3rd of August 2006 09:34:31 AM
Old 08-03-2006
The following characters have been added : - . _
Code:
sed -e "s/Name: [-[:alnum:]._]\{1,\}/Name: ${1}/g" "$file" > ./tmpfile

The character - must be specified first.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command Line width parameter

can someone please tell me how i can increase the number of characters that can be input on the command line? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scoogie
2 Replies

2. Programming

Command line parameter for C program

I am writing a C program that part of the idea is to using a command line parameter to control not to run certain part of the sub program. I am totally new to C, I do not have any idea how to pass a command line arguments from a C program. Can anyone help ?! Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wing m. Cheng
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing a string in nth line

Hello All, How to replace a string in nth line of a file using sed or awk. For Ex: test.txt Line 1 : TEST1 TEST2 TEST3 Line 2 : TEST1 TEST2 TEST3 TEST4 Line 3 : TEST1 TEST2 TEST3 TEST5 Line 4 : TEST1 TEST2 TEST3 TEST6 Line 5 : TEST1 TEST2 TEST3 TEST7 i want to go to 4th line of a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maxmave
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

error while replacing a string by new line character in sed

hi, when i am doing the following things getting error Can anyone please suggest i have a file where there is a line like the following branch=dev sdf dev jin kilii fin kale boyle dev james dev i want to search the existance of dev in the above line. cat "$file" | sed -n... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: millan
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replacing string in a column on a specific line

hi, i currently have a file with columns similar to this customer name owed CID123 John 300 CID342 harry 500 at present i use use awk to find the amount owed by the customer using the customer ID (CID). if the customer spends more money how would i go about using sed/awk etc to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skinnygav
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing a string with new line

Hi, Can anyone help me know how to replace a string with the new line for ex: file1 val1 or val2 or val3 or I need to replace the "or" with new line. Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_manii
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the last command line parameter?

"$#" gives the number of command-line arguments. How do you get the last command-line parameter (or any particular one determined by a variable)? I thought it would be "${$#}", but that produces something completely unexpected. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dkarr
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove line based on string and put new line with parameter

Hi Folks, I am new to ksh, i have informatica parameter file that i need to update everyday with shell script. i need your help updating this file with new parameters. sample data $$TABLE1_DATE=04-27-2011 $$TABLE2_DATE=04-23-2011 $$TABLE3_DATE=03-19-2011 .......Highligned... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: victor369
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl script - command line parameter

i am a beginner, i want to make a program that takes any command line arguments... and print it out in reverse. ie. if the command line argument is "thanks for helping me" i want it to output "me helping for thanks" :D i have tried using the reverse command, but i cant get it working!! ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bshell_1214
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete the line with a particular string in a file using sed command.

Hello, I want to delete all lines with given string in file1 and the string val is dynamic. Can this be done using sed command. Sample: vars="test twinning yellow" for i in $vars do grep $i file1 if then echo "Do Nothing" else sed `/$i/d` file1 fi done Using the above... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: PrasadAruna
5 Replies
set_color(1)                                                           fish                                                           set_color(1)

NAME
set_color - set_color - set the terminal color set_color - set the terminal color Synopsis set_color [-v --version] [-h --help] [-b --background COLOR] [COLOR] Description Change the foreground and/or background color of the terminal. COLOR is one of black, red, green, brown, yellow, blue, magenta, purple, cyan, white and normal. o -b, --background Set the background color o -c, --print-colors Prints a list of all valid color names o -h, --help Display help message and exit o -o, --bold Set bold or extra bright mode o -u, --underline Set underlined mode o -v, --version Display version and exit Calling set_color normal will set the terminal color to whatever is the default color of the terminal. Some terminals use the --bold escape sequence to switch to a brighter color set. On such terminals, set_color white will result in a grey font color, while set_color --bold white will result in a white font color. Not all terminal emulators support all these features. This is not a bug in set_color but a missing feature in the terminal emulator. set_color uses the terminfo database to look up how to change terminal colors on whatever terminal is in use. Some systems have old and incomplete terminfo databases, and may lack color information for terminals that support it. Download and install the latest version of ncurses and recompile fish against it in order to fix this issue. Version 1.23.1 Sun Jan 8 2012 set_color(1)