Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: COBOL file status 39
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers COBOL file status 39 Post 302082497 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 2nd of August 2006 03:43:04 PM
Old 08-02-2006
Errors like that can get snarfled on UNIX.

On unix the first thing to check is datafile permissions, and does it actually exist?

Next thing is the SELECT statement.
Code:
          SELECT MSGTEXT-FILE ASSIGN TO MSGTEXT
                  ORGANIZATION IS LINE SEQUENTIAL.

IF you have a SELECT with ASSIGN like this, you need to have an enviromnent variable
like this:
Code:
MSGTEXT=/path/to/actual_datafile

And if it is a file length problem, you need to be sure the real datafile does not have carriage control characters in it for fixed record length (LRL) files.
Otherwise you have to use something like the above SELECT stsatement to be able to read the file. I really think it's one of the first two things I mentioned.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Couldn't open status file /var/samba/STATUS.LCK

I believe i have most of samba configured right but i get this error each time time try to run it. I was given suggestion that i touch the file, i did, but i still cannot rid myself of this error. Any suggestions (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: macdonto
2 Replies

2. Gentoo

COBOL on linux?!

Hello guys, I'm searching for a good COBOL compiler which runs on linux. In fact I have found one but I'm really lost with its installation!! I don't know how to install it and how it works. In fact I'm not so good in linux and I always have problems with installation, but this time it's... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HSN
1 Replies

3. Red Hat

Installing RedHat 8.0 onto Dell PowerEdge SC1425 - hdc: status error: status = 0x58

I have successfully installed RedHat 8.0 onto a Dell PowerEdge SC1425 today. This server has two SATA hard drives, and an IDE DVD-ROM drive. Using the following kernel parameters, i successfully installed across both hard drives from CD: ide0=0x1f0,0x3f6,14 vga=791 resolution=1024x768 expert... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fishsponge
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cobol File Status 41 & 42

I'm new to coding on Unix but have coded with COBOL on mainframe for a number of years. This is driving me nuts. My select clause is like so: SELECT GRPFILE ASSIGN TO EXTERNAL DISK WS-GRPFILE ACCESS IS SEQUENTIAL STATUS IS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: WS-NFG
2 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

Rm-cobol 85

Does anyone use the following Cobol compiler: RM/COBOL-85 Compiler - Version 5.15.00 for SCO Unix 386. I am looking for a file that might be part of the distribution named "osmain.o" Thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgt
0 Replies

6. HP-UX

Error in a cobol executable file

Hi, when i try to run an executable on a HP UX machine i get the following error /usr/lib/..../dld.so Unsatisfied code symbol '_tMca100b' in load module .... The exe is a cobol program. can somebody tell why? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vovan
2 Replies

7. Programming

cobol programme

I have some compile programme .crn now I want to run .crn programme on express cobol which allow only *.gnt programme any solution to run *.crn programme (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bibi
0 Replies

8. Programming

cobol crn programme run on express cobol as .gnt

can i run .crn programme in express cobol which support to .gnt programme .... Plz tell me solution (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bibi
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling script from RM cobol and returning value to cobol

Is there a way you can return a value from a script that is called from a rm cobol program... 01 WS-COMD-LINE-PGM X(39) value sh ./getUserId.sh 12345" 01 WS-RETURN-SYS-CODE PIC 9(8). CALL "SYSTEM" USING WS-COMD-LINE-PGM GIVING WS-RETURN-SYS-CODE. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pavanmp
1 Replies

10. Programming

How to track table status delete/update/insert status in DB2 V10 z/os?

Dear Team I am using DB2 v10 z/os database . Need expert guidance to figure out best way to track table activities ( Ex Delete, Insert,Update ) Scenario We have a table which is critical and many developer/testing team access on daily basis . We had instance where some deleted... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Perlbaby
1 Replies
CREATE TABLE 
AS(7) SQL Commands CREATE TABLE AS(7) NAME
CREATE TABLE AS - create a new table from the results of a query SYNOPSIS
CREATE [ [ LOCAL ] { TEMPORARY | TEMP } ] TABLE table_name [ (column_name [, ...] ) ] AS query DESCRIPTION
CREATE TABLE AS creates a table and fills it with data computed by a SELECT command. The table columns have the names and data types asso- ciated with the output columns of the SELECT (except that you can override the column names by giving an explicit list of new column names). CREATE TABLE AS bears some resemblance to creating a view, but it is really quite different: it creates a new table and evaluates the query just once to fill the new table initially. The new table will not track subsequent changes to the source tables of the query. In contrast, a view re-evaluates its defining SELECT statement whenever it is queried. PARAMETERS
[LOCAL] TEMPORARY or [LOCAL] TEMP If specified, the table is created as a temporary table. Refer to CREATE TABLE [create_table(7)] for details. table_name The name (optionally schema-qualified) of the table to be created. column_name The name of a column in the new table. Multiple column names can be specified using a comma-delimited list of column names. If col- umn names are not provided, they are taken from the output column names of the query. query A query statement (that is, a SELECT command). Refer to SELECT [select(7)] for a description of the allowed syntax. DIAGNOSTICS
Refer to CREATE TABLE [create_table(7)] and SELECT [select(7)] for a summary of possible output messages. NOTES
This command is functionally equivalent to SELECT INTO [select_into(7)], but it is preferred since it is less likely to be confused with other uses of the SELECT ... INTO syntax. COMPATIBILITY
This command is modeled after an Oracle feature. There is no command with equivalent functionality in SQL92 or SQL99. However, a combina- tion of CREATE TABLE and INSERT ... SELECT can accomplish the same thing with little more effort. HISTORY
The CREATE TABLE AS command has been available since PostgreSQL 6.3. SEE ALSO
CREATE TABLE [create_table(7)], CREATE VIEW [create_view(l)], SELECT [select(l)], SELECT INTO [select_into(l)] SQL - Language Statements 2002-11-22 CREATE TABLE AS(7)